Stability of electrons (1 Viewer)

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
If the electrons circled the atom like planets around the Sun (which could explain why they did not fall into the nucleus), they would be accelerating.

Accelerated charges, however, are known to emit electromagnetic radiation , so the electrons should continuously lose energy and spiral into the nucleus and hence the atom should collapse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do they emit electromagnetic radiation

quartic

accelerating charges are what creates E/M radiation. radio wave transmitters and microwave transmitters oscilate charges back and forth in a wire to create E/M waves (radio waves or microwaves) that may be then detected elsewhere. Any accelerating charge looses energy as photons of E/M radiation. Another example is the x-ray tube. An electron beam is fired at a heavy metal target and the electrons are decelerated extreemly fast so they emit x-rays (this is how the spread spectrum x-rays are created, the single wavelength x-rays from an x-ray tube are created withinin the atoms of the heavy metal target).

Anyway the point is an accelerating charge creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields which carries away energy in the form of E/M waves. I don't have a better description than this so I hope that helps.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You might as well go and read about Hertz's discovery of electromagnetic waves - that's how we know accelerating charges create EM radiation. You have to know about his experiment for the course anyway.

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
No worries, thank you for your reply,

I understand that oscillating charges creates em waves

but wot i didnt understand is theoreotically hwo accelerating charges will emit em radiation.

i also understand Henz's discovery of em radiation.

anyway thanks for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)