Heating Processes in Australian Curriculum - New resource sample consultation (1 Viewer)

shyjohn

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi my name is SHY.John and I am a Physics student in UNSW Australia. Today I am showing you a future textbook called Physics Syllabus Stage Six (PSSSix). This is for the Australian Curriculum implementing in, say, NSW in probably in 2017. Today, you will have chance to be consulted for my chapter 2 - Thermal Physics. You might wonder why it is so early to let you see, well, writing a book costs time and effort. For instance, I am still writing the textbook and wanted for feedbacks as soon as possible.

Rundown of the book

Thermal Physics is the chapter 2 of PSSSix, it is about Thermal Physics and corresponds to Unit 1 in Australian Curriculum.

The book starts with a model that summarises the Thermal Physics, then start with the preliminaries where it defines Thermal Physics. The chapter has five parts as its contents,

1. Kinetic theory is talking about the ideal gas model. The syllabus just ignores and did not realise ideal gas is the "toy" that will be used in this course (and in uni as well). It also defines what is thermal motion, where implies the (classical) microscopic world is different to what we see.
  2. Temperature is talking about the definition of temperature, where it is a factor of heat. I also have make applications from the zeroth law, you will see in the part two.
  3. First law of thermodynamics is an introduction of heat and work. Latent heat is dicussed in here.
  4. Second law of thermodynamics in the syllabus contains only the heat efficiency. I added the definition of entropy (in the eye of physicists) where it will become clearer for the concepts in Thermal Physics.
  5. Heat transfer is stressed with the social and engineering applications, such as Global warming and energy security.

I would rather say this chapter is the first chapter of the theories (Chapter 1 is Physics Inquiry Skills), but I started to link the topics by some optional concepts that does not appear in the exam. I also approached to the concepts through a deeper sense where you won't ask, but wanted to know.

The appendices collects the classroom and self experiments that I found interesting (You might call it activities if you want), the problems (workbook will be out after the implementation) and some notes are included.

The connection with Australian Curriculum and my approach

This is based on the unit one "Heating Processes" in Australian Curriculum, but I added so much materials that draws your attention. This is based on the curriculum requires some degree of connections to the society.

But I do think my book is very different to others. Rather than this, I tell the story (not the history) of Thermal Physics. Such as using (ideal gases as) "toys" to capture your conception to Thermal Physics and the real world. I tried to claim that the irreversible is the nature, and this is where the scientists and professionals are claiming for. You might find that I done this by adding lots of stuff that you don't want to see (or not bothered to look at all), but there are also some of the syllabus contents that draws to this conclusion. You might have to find in the chapter.

Consultation

There will be a forum in the Moodle, please fill it or tell me in here.

See attachment for further information.

What's next?

Only ACT and WA is using the new curriculum (but WA will change the syllabus again in 2016) and VIC will implement theirs in 2016 (syllabus out by this month), TAS is not doing anything with Heating Processes, others have no further information.

The next consultation will be planned in November, where the chapters are about mechanics.

The chapter is not completed and will never complete. I am findings ways to improve it and seek for a second consultation for this chapter. After this consultation, I am considering to publish this chapter by any possible means. But the basis is not-for-profit (if print) or free (online version is definite) because of the copyright restrictions. You may put suggestions on how to make the implementation looks nice and "delicious".

Attachments

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This is completely different to HSC level at the moment however. Usually this is touched on in university level.

Also, are you certain that the syllabus will change to include a bit of Thermodynamics? In saying that, you have a bit of calculus in there. I'm not sure if calculus will be introduced some time soon into the syllabus...

shyjohn

HSC
Uni Grad
This is completely different to HSC level at the moment however. Usually this is touched on in university level.

Also, are you certain that the syllabus will change to include a bit of Thermodynamics? In saying that, you have a bit of calculus in there. I'm not sure if calculus will be introduced some time soon into the syllabus...
Yea, HSC doesn't touch base on this and it is (possibly) implemented on NSW in 2017(?). I would rather say that this chapter is touched base on VIC (draft) syllabus more. Because I want to let the whole Australia to adapt this book, so some states (and territories) might find one or others optional. The TOC that lists for each states (and territories) is for this purpose.

I have read the consultation report for BOSTES last week and some submission says thermodynamics (and General Relativity if one may find the paragraph, be prepared) should be stressed for the post-secondary pathway. But my argument, as in post #1 says, I am trying to tell the full picture of thermodynamics. But the VIC (draft syllabus) and the consultation report supports my idea at the last minute when I finished this chapter.

In regards to the calculus, yes, indeed too advanced for students at this level. You have pointed out something that I haven't think of.

PS. If you haven't heard this, each state and territories are going to set their own syllabus for year 11 and 12 and, NSW do not have an identical syllabus implemented with the Australian Curriculum from kindy to Year 12

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea, HSC doesn't touch base on this and it is (possibly) implemented on NSW in 2017(?). I would rather say that this chapter is touched base on VIC (draft) syllabus more. Because I want to let the whole Australia to adapt this book, so some states (and territories) might find one or others optional. The TOC that lists for each states (and territories) is for this purpose.

I have read the consultation report for BOSTES last week and some submission says thermodynamics (and General Relativity if one may find the paragraph, be prepared) should be stressed for the post-secondary pathway. But my argument, as in post #1 says, I am trying to tell the full picture of thermodynamics. But the VIC (draft syllabus) and the consultation report supports my idea at the last minute when I finished this chapter.

In regards to the calculus, yes, indeed too advanced for students at this level. You have pointed out something that I haven't think of.

PS. If you haven't heard this, each state and territories are going to set their own syllabus for year 11 and 12 and, NSW do not have an identical syllabus implemented with the Australian Curriculum from kindy to Year 12
I think maybe wait a bit to check that you are not spending your time on something that might not be required. Or possibly contact BOSTES on what the projected aim of the HSC Physics syllabus is supposed to be like in future years.

This is just so that you don't spend too much time on something that may or may not be relevant to Years 11 and 12 students. It is a bit of a gamble, but otherwise you are doing a good job (I haven't had a thorough look at the theory, but it seems like a really nice layout). However, it is very content dense. I think maybe, having a few worked examples and questions would be good too here and there.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I haven't seen the new proposed curriculum for Physics. Is it based on physics and quantitative problem-solving, or is it mostly just social impacts and history like the current NSW HSC Physics syllabus?

shyjohn

HSC
Uni Grad
I think maybe wait a bit to check that you are not spending your time on something that might not be required. Or possibly contact BOSTES on what the projected aim of the HSC Physics syllabus is supposed to be like in future years.

This is just so that you don't spend too much time on something that may or may not be relevant to Years 11 and 12 students. It is a bit of a gamble, but otherwise you are doing a good job (I haven't had a thorough look at the theory, but it seems like a really nice layout). However, it is very content dense. I think maybe, having a few worked examples and questions would be good too here and there.
Further info about the syllabus will be issued in 2015. Let's see what will happen.

By the way, sample questions and examples are in the boxes throughout the content and the notes at the end.

I haven't seen the new proposed curriculum for Physics. Is it based on physics and quantitative problem-solving, or is it mostly just social impacts and history like the current NSW HSC Physics syllabus?
BOSTES haven't published (and possibly writing?) the syllabus. I am referring to the Australian Curriculum (however the education ministers are agreed to produce theirs) and the individual states and territories syllabus in this book. It was agreed that the new syllabus are based on Australian Curriculum, but Tasmania does not contain thermal physics.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
My thoughts,
Its a good sample.

General thoughts on National Curriculum
Broaden subjects (i.e. more options), with flexible pathways for students and teachers. I do think the Year 9-10 curriculum should be designed to allow a more solid grounding (Year 11 style topics, but obviously same Year 9-10 standards and difficulty), and allowing extra flexibility, to give an extra advantage into Year 11-12.

English
Couldn't care less. Current Year 11-12 needs more practical subjects/options, e.g. Debating or even just a General English or Linguistics.

Maths
I am thinking that for the NSW Curriculum, the maths curriculum is better than National Curriculum or VCE curriculum. I prefer HSC over VCE.
Particularly the advantage of Extension 1 maths, as an intermediate subject.

I reckon introduce a separate 2U and 3U Statistics, and re-tailor courses to allow better progression into university.

Science
Science curriculum, particularly chemistry and physics, needs to be fixed, needs to remove some of the irrelevant material, or material that doubles up. Curriculum needs to be simplified, but at the same time cover more areas.

For physics (possibly chemistry), I think BASIC calculus (possibly a standard derivative or integral table included with formula sheet) should be introduced.

Propositions:
Using a similar system to "units" in NSW. Subjects should continue to be classified as Level 2 (2U), Level 3 (3U), Level 4 (4U) etc, to give indication of hours and also have a 'build-up' system.

For each 'unit' should be 'modules' or 'components' (also called 'subjects') (roughly similar to how 'units' function in Victoria). For example over 2 years, a 2U course would have 8 'components'.

shyjohn

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for your appreciation. However, I can't help with speaking for the future of the NSW HSC students since I am not a BOSTES representative.

Given that, I agreed that to provide any basic calculus, although qualitatively, may beneficial to students learning STEM materials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)