Lenz's Law question (1 Viewer)

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
https://imgur.com/sZ3AfXj

I was curious as to whether some kind of numerical calculation would be required, seeing as they provide heaps of numbers. The thing is, I wouldn't know how to calculate anything using what they've given.

Help, anyone?

Kaido

be.
HSC
Interesting answer. So you reckon the rod will stop?

Drsoccerball

HSC
I think you got the current direction wrong. Im not sure but according to the right hand palm rule the current goes opposite direction you stated. It states Expain how the motion will change over time. Therefore you have to specify that when the current starts it accelerates and then goes to its constant acceleration Before falling off the track and loosing all its speed. I'd say that it doesnt use induction but rather uses the principle of the motor effect as there is no inducing. I'd of course state what the motor effect is. Thats my answer may be wrong :)

Drsoccerball

HSC
I think you got the current direction wrong. Im not sure but according to the right hand palm rule the current goes opposite direction you stated. It states Expain how the motion will change over time. Therefore you have to specify that when the current starts it accelerates and then goes to its constant acceleration Before falling off the track and loosing all its speed. I'd say that it doesnt use induction but rather uses the principle of the motor effect as there is no inducing. I'd of course state what the motor effect is. Thats my answer may be wrong :)
My bad it induces a current due to the metal cylinder

PhysicsMaths

HSC
If it were due to the motor effect, the initial current flowing through the conductor will interact with the external magnetic field to experience a force that would push it along the rails. There is no initial current flow, but rather, it is pushed along the magnetic field which causes the current to flow. Therefore, Lenz's law applies, and the current creates the magnetic field to oppose the motion of the conductor (because it is in a closed circuit) so it will eventually stop (the current would flow from M to N to create an opposing force to the left).

Note: it does not induce a current due to the metal cylinder! it is because of the changing flux caused by the motion of the conductor through the external magnetic field!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)