Got my physics marks back (1 Viewer)

duhdevitt

HSC
I got 56/100 which I was completely shocked at. I was ranked 3/31 and I'm now 6/31 and I'm pretty pissed off. Like I don't know if its the way I studied like I wrote Notes, did hsc questions, gave my teacher to mark them, did half yearly papers, gave em to my teacher to mark. I don't know if I'm just overstudying it or something. What should I do

This exam was 10%

I go to. Rank 40ish school

Last edited:

dirty_ink

HSC
Maybe just wait until you get your paper back along with some feedback.

photastic

HSC
Perhaps your answers did not suffice. Remember marking physics is pretty strict.

duhdevitt

HSC
Maybe just wait until you get your paper back along with some feedback.
I got my paper, I lost all my marks in the calculations and I got roughly all the theory ones correct. Multiple choice scrwwrd me over big time. I don't know how to improve cos I put shit loads of study into physics

photastic

HSC
I got my paper, I lost all my marks in the calculations and I got roughly all the theory ones correct. Multiple choice scrwwrd me over big time. I don't know how to improve cos I put shit loads of study into physics
Did you replicate exam conditions when attempting past papers? This will help silly mistakes and mental preparation.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 56/100 which I was completely shocked at. I was ranked 3/31 and I'm now 6/31 and I'm pretty pissed off. Like I don't know if its the way I studied like I wrote Notes, did hsc questions, gave my teacher to mark them, did half yearly papers, gave em to my teacher to mark. I don't know if I'm just overstudying it or something. What should I do

This exam was 10%

I go to. Rank 40ish school
Could be due to many factors but assuming you knew your syllabus content, it's probably a matter of either:
Exam technique (most likely)
OR
A bad day

It's alright to be pissed.

But best not to dwell on it too long. Have a look at your paper and see where you went wrong then move on (and hopefully, you'll improve for your later Physics exams).

Anyways, at least there's some not so negative aspects to this:
(1) The exam was only 10%. Better to get 56/100 in a 10% task than to get 56/100 in trials or even the HSC.
(2) You only dropped 3 ranks (being top 6 in a top 40 school = you're actually still on track for a possible band 6 and heck, you still have trials and other internal assessments to pull your rank back up).
(3) Seeing how you only dropped 3 ranks overall, I'm assuming your cohort as a whole probably found the test hard too.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So now you know where to work on more.

MC and calculation based questions.

Kaido

be.
HSC
~40 marks lost on calc and MC?
Exam seems a bit dodgy...
But HSC exams are geared towards theory rather than calc. Assuming your conceptual understanding is solid, you can def pull back in the HSC

gz_HSCTUTOR

HSC
N/A
I have lots of students who have your problem. They spend lots of time studying but they always lack the key ingredient which is to study effectively.

I recommend when you practise MC, the best way is to go through each potential answer and write why the answer is wrong. This way, you will be able to gain a greater understanding of the subject even though you may spend more time. In your exams you will become a natural at this and you automatically start filtering the incorrect answers out due to reasoning.

For calculations always remember to write down the formulas and do each step. Never rush calculations. I see many students who jump right into the calculations - this is were most of the silly mistakes occur. You should label each step like the following:

1. Formula
2. Plug in numbers
3. Calculation
4. Answer

By writing the formula down chances are you get 1 mark locked down. By doing the working you get another 1 mark or two. The final answer will get you the final mark.

All my students who have followed this type of methodology have received a band 6. If you have any other issues with theory questions in particular you can visit my blog for some extra knowledge!

http://hscsynergyeducation.weebly.com/blog

Best of luck!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think there might be something wrong with your study method. What you should aim to do is a lot of practice questions from a range of trial papers - I would strongly advise against using textbook questions and other crappy worksheet questions. Only exam papers are worth doing. When you do something wrong, found it why and understand why you were wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)