Question (1 Viewer)

Kaido

be.
HSC
What answer did you get Fizzy?

JoshMosh2 argued that it was C (apparently this was the case in an independent exam) - he said that we don't use the sin30 and simply do F=3x10^-4x 3 x 0.3

So I'm extremely confused as I was under the assumption that F=3x10^-4x 3 x 0.3 x sin30

Initially, the exam had A as the answer, but after hearing what josh said, our teacher changed the answer to C. o.o

el_manu

HSC

JoshMosh2 argued that it was C (apparently this was the case in an independent exam) - he said that we don't use the sin30 and simply do F=3x10^-4x 3 x 0.3

So I'm extremely confused as I was under the assumption that F=3x10^-4x 3 x 0.3 x sin30

Initially, the exam had A as the answer, but after hearing what josh said, our teacher changed the answer to C. o.o

What did josh say?

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC
Well, Josh said that the length of wire is 30cm and thus we no longer need to multiply by sin30. He further backed his argument as he said that the answer (to an identical question) in an independent paper was C

el_manu

HSC
That is weird indeed..

I don't know. In a case like this: 06q7nc7.gif

the wire is always perpendicular to the magnetic field, so theta = 90 degrees.....and sin90 = 1.
So in this case F = BIL is all you would need. However, in your case, I would think that you would need to times by sin(30)..

Sorry I'm not much help

123ryoma12

HSC
Answer is A. Sin30 is required in this as the wire is not perpendicular to the magnetic field.
Just note that if the magnetic field is going into/out of the page then in most cases it will be perpendicular to the current unless the current is also moving in/out of the page.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Really?

No way. The answer should be A.

It states that the wire is of length 30cm, not that the width of the field is 30cm. If you were told that the width of the field was 30cm and the wire was within it, then fair enough, l should be 0.30m. But, seeing as the length of the wire is 30cm and it creates an angle from the perpendicular to the field, you need to solve for the perpendicular component as that is the only component which experiences a force.

This would be analogous (ok, not really analogous but EQUALLY INCORRECT) to saying that a projectile is launched at 30m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above horizontal and then using Uy = 30m/s.

Answer is A. JoshMosh (and your easily confused teacher) is (are) wrong. Soz m8.

Btw, independent marking schemes are not a valid way of determining if an answer is correct, there are always mistakes, every year. Now, tell old Joshy to find me a similar HSC question where they do not use the angle.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I got my answer to be A as well.

The wire is not perpendicular to the magnetic field so you do need to only include the component perpendicular to the magnetic field.

in the below question the wire is perpendicular to the magnetic field so you don't need to use the "sin" part. (however they trick you into thinking the length of the wire is 0.4m :haha:)

That is weird indeed..

I don't know. In a case like this: View attachment 32029

the wire is always perpendicular to the magnetic field, so theta = 90 degrees.....and sin90 = 1.
So in this case F = BIL is all you would need. However, in your case, I would think that you would need to times by sin(30)..

Sorry I'm not much help
I thought of this question too LOL

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, Josh said that the length of wire is 30cm and thus we no longer need to multiply by sin30. He further backed his argument as he said that the answer (to an identical question) in an independent paper was C
That's just wrong...LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)