Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: HSC Physics Marathon 2016

HSC

Re: HSC Physics Marathon 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Glyde View Post
    Ohhhh so if we are constantly burning fuel from the same rank the whole way , the ship would be experiencing too many g's causing a black out. Hence dumping them will keep the acceleration at a constant level instead and that constant acceleration would be under say 6 g's to stop people's dying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No ahaha. We don't even know if we could lift off with such low acceleration. We use it so that its as if you have tiny rocket launches throughout the journey. From A to B we have one rocket launch and when the fuel stops being used it stops accelerating and a reduces drastically reducing the g forces experienced. From B to C we have another rocket launch which starts from basically 0 acceleration... Lets say that the acceleration of A to B is X and B to C is also X. The max g force experienced would be = However if this was done in one journey it woud be ...

HSC

Omg I get it now!!!!!!!! Thanks sooooo much !!! I had no idea that the rockets stopped in mid air and then turned on there next rocket

HSC

Sorry it took me so long

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by leehuan View Post
    1+a/g confused the crap out of me. I used sigma(a)/g where the sum of all forces could only be from gravity and thrust (i.e. no 'normal reaction'). So on Earth's surface I treated sigma(a) as 9.8 instead.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Drsoccerball View Post

To add to this, the reason why it is sometimes plus or minus is because the acceleration (a) is a vector. If can be either pointing downwards which is negative and why it is negative in your first example, or it can be pointing upwards which is why it is positive in your second example.
    RachelGreen likes this.
    Maths Extension 2 | Maths Extension 1 | Physics | Chemistry | Advanced English

HSC

Although that's the most accurate interpretation, when I think about that I get confused. I'm just saying instead I actually imagine we are accelerating at 9.8ms^-2 right now instead.

HSC

Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGreen View Post
    I saw this question from Syd Grammar's old trial paper and thought was a great question:
    "The Earth exerts the exact same gravitational force on the Sun as the Sun does on the Earth due to Newtons 3rd Law". Assess the above statement (4 marks)
    RachelGreen likes this.

HSC

According to Newtons 3rd Law, 'Every reaction will have an equal and opposite reaction' we are aware that when two objects interact with each other that there will be a force between them that is the same in magnitude however opposite in direction. Hence it is logical to assume that the Earth and Sun will follow this rule. That is the gravitational pull of the sun on the earth will be the same magnitude as the gravitational pull of the earth on the sun. We can also show that the Sun and Earth are attracted towards each other using the formulae 'F=(Gm1m2)/r^2' where the mass (m) are representative of the earth and sun.

HSC

I wouldn't be surprised if I am completely wrong

HSC

According to Newtons 3rd Law, 'Every reaction will have an equal and opposite reaction' we are aware that when two objects interact with each other that there will be a force between them that is the same in magnitude however opposite in direction. Hence it is logical to assume that the Earth and Sun will follow this rule. That is the gravitational pull of the sun on the earth will be the same magnitude as the gravitational pull of the earth on the sun. We can also show that the Sun and Earth are attracted towards each other using the formulae 'F=(Gm1m2)/r^2' where the mass (m) are representative of the earth and sun.

We call the formula Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. Also, it's every action will have an equal and opposite reaction, so be careful of this. I'll let someone else put on a mark.

HSC

Okay, yes I new that I just wasn't thinking about what I was writing haha thank you

HSC

New question : Explain why the object used for slingshot motion (planet, star, etc...) needs to be moving.

HSC

New question : Explain why the object used for slingshot motion (planet, star, etc...) needs to be moving.
    LOL.

Sorry, the question is genuine but that seemed like logic to me.

Cadet
    HSC

3/4! Marking criteria says to don't forget to make a judgement of the statement at the end

HSC

Could you please explain what you mean by this or provide an example

HSC

To assess is to simply provide your stance, i.e. do you agree or disagree, to what extent can an aforementioned statement be true

HSC

HSC Physics Marathon 2016

Ohhh so I could say the this statement is genuinely accurate however the vectors of which these two planets attract are in opposite directions?

HSC

HSC

How many marks would this question be. Also is there any rule to follow in relation to marks per question ? Should I approach questions differently in relation to there given marks ?

Cadet
    HSC

Once you've written all of your points to back up your opinion. Simply write a judgement like for say "This statement is invalid". I don't think you have to explain why it's invalid since you have already written a lot of points on why it's invalid above. This is just an example

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGreen View Post
    Once you've written all of your points to back up your opinion. Simply write a judgement like for say "This statement is invalid". I don't think you have to explain why it's invalid since you have already written a lot of points on why it's invalid above. This is just an example
    Wow that's worth a whole mark ?

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    N/A

Wow that's worth a whole mark ?

Yeah, since the Key Word is "assess", which means you need to make a judgement.
    Assess: "Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size"

( The BOSTES definitions of key words is found here, and you should be familiar with them http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au..._keywords.html )

HSC

You would be surprised how many candidates lose the mark for making a judgement every year

HSC

When an object such as a space probe approaches a planet, it is accelerated by the larger mass' gravitational pull, this statement is often misinterpreted as the source of the slingshot effect. However when the space probe continues back out of the planets atmosphere it will again be effected by the planets gravitational field but in the opposite direction. It will begin to decelerate back down to its initial velocity. The thing that actually causes the slingshot effect is the fact that the planet is orbiting something else, such as the sun. Hence when the space probe enters the planets atmosphere or gravitational pull it is accelerated to the planets orbitory speed around the sun. This causes the vectors of the space probes initial velocity and the planets orbitory velocity around the sun to add, consequently resulting in an angle change and velocity change. It is also important to note that the original misconception does not cause a slingshot effect due to the conservation of momentum. The space probe received an additional speed boost causing the planet to slow down. This is not noticeable because the planets mass is usually a lot bigger then the space probes mass hence having little effect of the planets speed. Similarly the space probe is slowed down to its original speed and the planet is sped up to its original speed.

Last edited by Glyde; 8 Nov 2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Drsoccerball likes this.

HSC

When an object such as a space probe approaches a planet, it is accelerated by the larger mass' gravitational pull, this statement is often misinterpreted as the source of the slingshot effect. However when the space probe continues back out of the planets atmosphere it will again be effected by the planets gravitational field but in the opposite direction. It will begin to decelerate back down to its initial velocity. The thing that actually causes the slingshot effect is the fact that the planet is orbiting something else, such as the sun. Hence when the space probe enters the planets atmosphere or gravitational pull it is accelerated to the planets orbitory speed around the sun. This causes the vectors of the space probes initial velocity and the planets orbitory velocity around the sun to add, consequently resulting in an angle change and velocity change. It is also important to note that the original misconception does not cause a slingshot effect due to the conservation of momentum. The space probe received an additional speed boost causing the planet to slow down. This is not noticeable because the planets mass is usually a lot bigger then the space probes mass hence having little effect of the planets speed. Similarly the space probe is slowed down to its original speed and the planet is sped up to its original speed.

Question not fully answered though; since he's asking for why it must be moving you must also explain what the problem will be when the space probe is somehow at rest.

The bolded part must be emphasised, but the misconception that you gave can be made very brief

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information