Useless Physics Teacher and Ways to Teach Oneself (1 Viewer)

Eudemonic

HSC
As the title suggests I have a rather useless Physics teacher, an old veteran of the craft who probably should have retired 20 years ago. This teacher stands in the front of the class as he speaks in a dour monotone and hands out worksheets which are supposed to cover concepts, but don't do a great job being messy and hard to read.

I'm happy to put in the time and effort to do well in Physic, I'm just worried on the means to do so. I may be able to obtain a Jacaranda textbook from the school but should I also buy another textbook, say IN2PHYSICS? Additionally would it help to have any other resources, dot points and so so and consider tutoring?

Cheers anyone who can help

btw i just started yr 11

Last edited:

chickencoop

HSC
Physics in focus was definitely the best book from my experience. I managed to teach myself for a majority of the content relying solely on the book.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
My school is using a textbook published by Macmillan called Physics 1. It was co-written by my physics teacher and I think it provides examples and questions that are really easy to understand and therefore I highly recommend it. I'm not too sure where you can buy it but a quick google search might lead you to it. it's by Mark Butler, David Hopkins and John Willis. 10/10 imho.

Eudemonic

HSC
Thanks guys will check out both books

Last edited:

donkily

HSC
N/A
Letslearnscience and other youtube channels

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming the teacher marks to an HSC standard, hand in practice answers for feedback.

Commando007

HSC
read KISS booklets
they're really good tbh
however it doesn't use scientific language uses quite simple language
- but infocus is really good as well

andrew12678

HSC
Getting a 'useless' teacher may not necessarily be a bad thing, infact a major positive from this would be you would be able to use class time to do past papers especially during exam periods. This is certainly not possible with a 'good' teacher who demands attention and tries to teach, they will probably also issue a warning should you do a past paper instead of paying attention. From my own experience, the best performing students are the ones that have done the most practice (past papers again) and have honed exam technique by getting things marked through a private tutor who knows what they are doing (I say private tutor because school teachers get paid the same regardless of whether they mark your work or not so why would they bother)

Eudemonic

HSC
Andrew thats definitely a positive, in fact this particular teacher will let you do ANYTHING, once there was a punch on in class and he didn't even getup from his desk..

andrew12678

HSC
Haha got yourself a gem them, I personally would take that teacher over one who knows thinks that what they speak is the bible regardless of how much they know about physics

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
read KISS booklets
they're really good tbh
however it doesn't use scientific language uses quite simple language
- but infocus is really good as well
In that case, maybe it is just a watered-down feminised (a la Prof Michelle Simmons) physics.

Last edited:

Eudemonic

HSC
Had another lesson today. Due to us being so behind all the top kids in my class have all already got tutors and it seems I will to.

If not that, does anyone know a good resource for tough questions of the sort you might see in exams (mixing multiple equations and requiring problem solving)??

Otherwise thanks for all the halp

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Had another lesson today. Due to us being so behind all the top kids in my class have all already got tutors and it seems I will to.

If not that, does anyone know a good resource for tough questions of the sort you might see in exams (mixing multiple equations and requiring problem solving)??

Otherwise thanks for all the halp
For tough questions check out the bored of studies trials, they have questions that are the hardest of the hardest

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
They dont have any for physics though
Probably check the top school trials as well as hard HSC questions. Last year (2016) they had a few hard multiple choice and short answers so be sure to check those out too.

HSC
N/A
"IF" Physics is your thing, and you think you'd enjoy continuing studying the subject at Uni, I strongly recommend University Physics (Pearson publishers) or Fundamentals of Physics (Wiley) - these books are the real deal in terms of value and content. In hindsight, for HSC, I used the Physics in Focus books and they just leave a lot to be desired, poor explanations, very little insight - a good example would be the absolutely useless and confusing notation for simple projectile problems involving only gravity. The Uni books explain these sort of things from first principles and of course the books are a concise content of mankinds understanding that never grows old.

andrew12678

HSC
The old veterans are the best of the best. I would love to have one
Tutoring is unnecessary, who cares about the top kids in your class
Learning ahead is useless - I've seen someone beat people that are two years ahead in terms of content
In the end it all comes down to you - if you are looking for questions, it is best to do trials or past HSC papers
Although you might argue that I am being biased because I do work as a tutor, I having recently been a student myself don't completely with some of things you have said:

'Tutoring is unnecessary'-I really do not feel that this can be generalised to every single student. Everyone is different. Some won't need it whilst some will. At the same time, I'm not saying that tutoring is necessary but it is entirely a personal decision that you should make based how you feel about the subject. If things are working out on your own there's nothing to change, but if it isn't going to plan there's no harm in trying something different. That being said even some of the brightest people I know (who I am sure would have extremely done well without tutoring) simply attend because they care about the subject and don't want to miss out any special tips/advice they might have on their own or they simply wanted to have second opinion sometimes or... etc etc list goes on. TLDR: It's a personal decision

'who cares about the top kids in your class'-You're right because you should be caring about the top kids in the school as well as the top kids in the class. In the end, the school internal rankings plays too big of a role in determining your HSC mark to be ignored. If they are jumping ship onto the tutoring boat maybe they have good reason (i.e. teacher is awful) and there's nothing wrong in trying to identify these reasons and considering your own position eg. whether they will be receiving what appears to be lacking in class or how far ahead would they be ahead in terms of resources and exam technique. The key to high school is not only worrying about your own world but others around you and how they are playing the game

'Learning ahead is useless'-how so? Some people may be learning the same content for the 3rd time by the time it's taught in class (1st at tutoring, 2nd time consolidating tutoring work and 3rd time at school), even if that piece of content isn't about rote learning and memory retention (where they will have an insane advantage) they would still have an advantage if it's about practically applying a skill or understanding a concept. Besides it is only through learning ahead that you can use vacant class time (if you have a bad teacher like OP does) to work on relevant, hard questions and make use of the time instead of completing a worksheet

'I've seen someone beat people that are two years ahead in terms of content'-I would argue that 2 years is the major problem with this point, a perfect amount of acceleration could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months but anything longer than that would result in the loss of familiarity with that piece of knowledge as time (and life) goes by and the advantages of acceleration in memory retention, understanding and autonomy no longer apply. So I am not surprised if someone beat someone who learnt something 2 years ahead, and it usually happens to accelerated individuals who become complacent thinking the 1st time is only time needed but it is less common in committed individuals who make use of their advantage

'In the end it all comes down to you - if you are looking for questions, it is best to do trials or past HSC papers'-agreed

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
'who cares about the top kids in your class'-You're right because you should be caring about the top kids in the school as well as the top kids in the class. In the end, the school internal rankings plays too big of a role in determining your HSC mark to be ignored. If they are jumping ship onto the tutoring boat maybe they have good reason (i.e. teacher is awful) and there's nothing wrong in trying to identify these reasons and considering your own position eg. whether they will be receiving what appears to be lacking in class or how far ahead would they be ahead in terms of resources and exam technique. The key to high school is not only worrying about your own world but others around you and how they are playing the game
Nah I don't think caring about other people's marks is a good thing it's just going to stress you out, "oh no he's 20 marks ahead of me gg I'm gone no point studying" etc it's better to just focus on your own marks and improving your own not analysing someone else's marks and study patterns or something...

Also learning the content 3 times is completely irrelevant if a person still can't answer any questions properly. I can know every dot point back to front but still be bad at answering questions (which the HSC is all about now - application of knowledge) then it still won't help.

Tutoring definitely isn't necessary but it's a good idea (I go tutoring too so I can't argue against it), I've seen many people get 99.7, 99.8, etc, with no tutoring at all, just hard work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)