Motors and Generators Question (1 Viewer)

HSC
So I was doing the 2013 HSC and came across this question.

The answer is B. I'm wondering why there would be no current produced by the generator? Would it not still exert a force on the electrons, thus producing a current? I recognise that eventually a charge would build up and the current would no longer flow, but even in an open circuit would a current not be produced for at least some time by the generator?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
No the switch is open, the circuit is broken and current can't flow. There WILL be emf (voltage) though, just not current.

HSC
No the switch is open, the circuit is broken and current can't flow. There WILL be emf (voltage) though, just not current.
How can there be an EMF but no current? Won't the EMF force the electrons to move, hence producing a current? Or is there some technical definition of current that encompasses more than just 'the movement of electrons'?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
How can there be an EMF but no current? Won't the EMF force the electrons to move, hence producing a current? Or is there some technical definition of current that encompasses more than just 'the movement of electrons'?
When the switch is open, there is infinite resistance in the wire and I = V/R and V/infinity is basically 0, so the current is negligible.

There is emf because Emf = -delta flux / delta time according to Faraday, and since you're turning the rotor there is a change in flux over time and hence, an emf is induced.

HSC
When the switch is open, there is infinite resistance in the wire and I = V/R and V/infinity is basically 0, so the current is negligible.

There is emf because Emf = -delta flux / delta time according to Faraday, and since you're turning the rotor there is a change in flux over time and hence, an emf is induced.
Okay I think I understand that, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)