Which is more dangerous to the human body: AC or DC current ? (1 Viewer)

Sokc

HSC
Which is more dangerous to the human body: AC or DC current and why ? Different sources from online tell me different things I just wanted some clarity.
Thank you

andrew12678

HSC
AC can cause the heart to undergo fibrillation (abnormal beating) affecting your blood flow etc.

A1P

HSC
At high voltage both AC & DC are dangerous. At certain voltage ranges either can be more dangerous than the other depending on the situation, there's no outright "winner".

bujolover

HSC
Which is more dangerous to the human body: AC or DC current and why ? Different sources from online tell me different things I just wanted some clarity.
Thank you
Based on the following website - http://www.electronicproducts.com/P..._human_body_AC_or_DC_current_and_voltage.aspx - AC is more dangerous than DC, but both are dangerous.

I've tried to summarise the reasons they give:
1. More DC current is needed to induce the same amount of physical damage as AC current, hence AC is more dangerous in smaller amounts than DC.
2. The likelihood of a human suffering ventricular fibrillation is much higher when coming in contact with an AC than a DC, as the human body’s threshold of DC-caused ventricular fibrillation is several times higher than for AC.
3. The severity of electric shock is less when in contact with DC than it is with AC.
4. It’s easier to let go of/remove contact with “live” parts in the case of DC than AC.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: A1P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)