Motors and Generators Question (1 Viewer)

Sp3ctre

HSC
https://gyazo.com/3dd4212847ef84559688ff7fabfd8754

I thought the answer was C but the correct answer is A? I thought by using the right hand palm rule, your fingers point into the page and your palm points down the page, so your thumb is pointing to the left. Since your thumb represents flow of conventional current (or positive charge), shouldn't the negative charge or electrons be on the opposite side, i.e. the right?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Right hand palm rule is used for positive particles. For the negative particles such as an electron you need to use the left hand palm rule (same thing as right hand palm rule but just with ur left hand)

Sp3ctre

HSC
Right hand palm rule is used for positive particles. For the negative particles such as an electron you need to use the left hand palm rule (same thing as right hand palm rule but just with ur left hand)
It's the same thing, if you use right hand palm rule then you just take the direction of the negative charge to be away from your thumb. Using left hand palm rule stills gives me the wrong answer.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It's the same thing, if you use right hand palm rule then you just take the direction of the negative charge to be away from your thumb. Using left hand palm rule stills gives me the wrong answer.
I think you might have mixed up the position of the hand. Your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, so into the page. Your palm faces the direction of the force on the particles and your thumb will go in the direction of the velocity

Sp3ctre

HSC
I think you might have mixed up the position of the hand. Your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, so into the page. Your palm faces the direction of the force on the particles and your thumb will go in the direction of the velocity
That's what I'm doing but if I use the left hand palm rule like you suggested, my thumb would point to the right, then that means electrons are flowing to the right, but that's not what the answer agrees with.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what I'm doing but if I use the left hand palm rule like you suggested, my thumb would point to the right, then that means electrons are flowing to the right, but that's not what the answer agrees with.
The greatest concentration of electrons is the direction the force is pointing not the thumb

Sp3ctre

HSC
The greatest concentration of electrons is the direction the force is pointing not the thumb
Oh, why is it that? Plus if that is the case, the answer would still be different.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Oh, why is it that? Plus if that is the case, the answer would still be different.
The force points to the left using left hand palm rule so the electrons are at excess to the left.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure what you are doing with ur hand, but your fingers need to put point into the screen and ur thumb points downwards so that means your palm faces to the left which is the answer A.

It is because if there is a force on the particles in a certain direction more of them will move to that direction because of the acceleration caused by the force

Sp3ctre

HSC
I'm not sure what you are doing with ur hand, but your fingers need to put point into the screen and ur thumb points downwards so that means your palm faces to the left which is the answer A.

It is because if there is a force on the particles in a certain direction more of them will move to that direction because of the acceleration caused by the force
Oh I kind of see what you mean now. I'm still not too clear on why your thumb needs to point downwards in the first place though. When it shows that PQRS is moving downwards I thought that it was because of the applied force that was causing it to move downwards, thus I had my palm pointing downwards instead of my thumb.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh I kind of see what you mean now. I'm still not too clear on why your thumb needs to point downwards in the first place though. When it shows that PQRS is moving downwards I thought that it was because of the applied force that was causing it to move downwards, thus I had my palm pointing downwards instead of my thumb.
In this question, we are not like really considering the rod, this q is basically like doing a q where there is a single electron and they ask you what direction it will move and in those Qs we use the velocity as the thumb

Sp3ctre

HSC
In this question, we are not like really considering the rod, this q is basically like doing a q where there is a single electron and they ask you what direction it will move and in those Qs we use the velocity as the thumb
Right, I understand now. It just seems weird that the velocity of the rod is referring to the direction of electrons rather than the movement of the rod as a whole as a result of an applied force. Thanks for your help anyway!

Sp3ctre

HSC
I'm such an idiot, I just realised the direction of the arrow was labelled I -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)