Which Year 11 & 12 Physics textbook? (1 Viewer)

Tintin5

HSC
Hello all. My son is in year 10 and is exploring his option for subject choices for next year. Someone told him that it would help if he read the year 11 and12 textbooks for his potential choices. He is thinking of Physics as one of them. What is the name of the current text book that I can get for him to read...also, are there 2 books - one for yr 11 and one for yr 12? Or do you use the same textbook for both years? It would be great if he read both (if there are two). Thank you very much.

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, since the syllabus is changing starting next year, I would say ask the teachers for more information, and not to dive into the subjects too quickly. There is also one Preliminary and one HSC textbook. Some Physics texbooks which he can learn some basic concepts are:

- Excel Preliminary Physics
- Physics In Focus
- Jacaranda Physics 1 Preliminary Course

Syllabus 2017: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/physics_stg6_syl_03.pdf This contains both HSC (Year 12) and Preliminary (Year 11) content outlines.

I believe this is the new syllabus: http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/assets/physics_stage_6/physics-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf

You can access other syllabus from here: http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/stage-6/

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hello!

Do not buy textbooks at the moment as mentioned above because the syllabus (i.e. content) is changing. The syllabus linked above should have the content covered in each course.

Here's some concepts your son could research for physics in year 12:
- Einstein's special theory of relativity
- Projectile motion
- Planck and quantum theory
- Electricity in motors and generators
- Conductors, insulators, semiconductors
- Cathode ray tubes
- Superconductors

Not sure if any have been removed as I haven't checked the new syllabus. Hope this helps!

Tintin5

HSC
Lastly, are you guys doing Physics because you want to do engineering? Or not necessarily? My son is very good at maths and sciences but is not interested in engineering or medicine...he is asking what other paths these subjects can take him on?

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on what he wants to do after school.

I knew a person who did Extension English and Social Science subjects (Business Studies, History etc.) got a high ATAR and went into Engineering. The subjects you pick now doesn't necessarily restrict you into going into pathways.

I do physics because I like it and I believe it will get me a high mark compared to other subjects like History which is not my strong suit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)