Study Tips for Prelim Physics (1 Viewer)

_Geeho_

HSC
Hey, do any of you have useful study advice for Physics because I'm taking it next year in Year 11. Any help would be appreciated, and I just need a simple guideline to get me started.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Hey, do any of you have useful study advice for Physics because I'm taking it next year in Year 11. Any help would be appreciated, and I just need a simple guideline to get me started.
I do not believe it's a subject that is considered "hard" but rather your study technique for that subject and how you approach your weaknesses

If you break down the physics syllabus (and the exams) you can divide it into the following: Scientific skill, understanding concepts, rote memorising, mathematical calculations and short/extended answer response technique

I assure you that if you are strong in all these areas, you'd know the syllabus back to front but this would take a considerable amount of time

1. Scientific skills (and prac skills) comes down to how well you know the ideaology behind experiments in the HSC physics curriculum and how you interpret that data
2. Understanding concepts is knowing concepts in a manner that you can explain it effectively explain it to someone else without the need to rote learn. Also look at some "scientific article questions" where they have a random article which makes you explain the theory behind the article. Also do endless past papers to ensure you understand things back to front
3. Rote memorising comes in with history of science as well as societal impacts. You will need to use the "worksheet method" to memorise a large amount of content (please tell me if u need further explanation) :)
4. Mathematical calculations is best approached with practice. If u don't know what formula to use, look for a random formula within your formula sheet and use that. Some maths questions may assess more than one thing in physics
5. Short answer/extended response is best approached by "predicting the criteria". This is best done by doing endless past papers and understanding the criteria to responses of certain questions

Hope that helps

Best of luck :)
In another thread

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Geeho

Aren't you going to be doing the new physics syllabus instead of the current Mickey Mouse physics? Acquaint yourself with the new syllabus. If you want to study ahead I can teach you this new physics.

andrew12678

HSC
Geeho

Aren't you going to be doing the new physics syllabus instead of the current Mickey Mouse physics? Acquaint yourself with the new syllabus. If you want to study ahead I can teach you this new physics.
Hahaha nek min complaints about it being too hard. And @OP yes you will be doing the new syllabus so some of the 'tips' currently available for the current syllabus (eg. practice 6-7 mark 'assess' and 'evaluate' questions) should be taken with some caution

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
A great deal of the current syllabus overlaps with the new syllabus.

Namely, a great deal of the current topic "Moving About" is in the first 2 topics in the new syllabus. There exists a great deal of resources already for Moving About, so reading through it and acquainting yourself with the calculations is imperative!
2 revised books have been released thus far for the new physics syllabus "Surfing Physics" for the first 2 topics and "Physics Calculations" but be careful with the second book as it must have been revised based on the draft syllabus (which included things such as simple harmonic motion, which was taken out of the syllabus but still appears on the book).

Also, you will have a major research projext, called a depth study, so ensure you are familiar with how to write one of these and perhaps get someone to assist you with editing of your depth study as it will account for a significant portion of your overall marks!

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
My physics teacher tells us to put a lot of effort in the scientific report that means you will understand the concepts behind the experiment therefore the study can be transferred at home with ease.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)