Drift Velocity of Electrons in a conductor (1 Viewer)

thewingman

Im confused first off... drift velocity is around 10^-4 whatever..
but what Im interesting in is whether it is proportional to or inveserly proportional to number of electrons (n), charge (e) and x-sectional area (A)..

I have read different books and have come up with this idea:

If the current is kept constant... you've got an inversly proportional relationship (not done much in experiments)
If the voltage is kept constant ... you've got a proportional relationship (common in lab experiments)..

What im interested in is the questions ive seen don't tell you this information.. they don't say anything.. so what are we to assume in the HSC???

any input welcome
----------------------
IGTTI

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
neva heard of that. What topic is that in???

Does it have something to do with superconductors? coz i remember somthing about how electrons flowing smootly coz it doesnt collide or somthing (??)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
yes its in ideas to impl. under superconductivity

"drift velocity is around 10^-4"
Do u need to kown that? Coz it varies with conductors, so i dont see how theres an average drift velocity

drift v is inversely proportional to no. of electrons, e and area

"If the current is kept constant... you've got an inversly proportional relationship (not done much in experiments)"
its done theoretically thru equations using F=Eq, F=ma and v=u+at (u=0)
But in real life, I=q/t

"If the voltage is kept constant ... you've got a proportional relationship (common in lab experiments).. "
U can get a relationship by equating both eqn of drfit velocity that is similar to ohms law.
If u think about it, if drift v decreases--> more collision--> greater resistance

thewingman, wat exactly r u confused with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)