Projectile Motion calculations! (1 Viewer)

香港!

HSC
I sent an email asking if I would lose marks if I used 3 Unit Mathematics techniques to answer projectile motion and here's the reply:

"The general instruction given on the HSC Physics paper for answers
involving calculations is that all relevant working should be shown.
All legible responses following this instruction to obtain the correct
answer will be awarded full marks. While the HSC Physics course does not
require the use of calculus, responses that use it correctly will not lose
marks. Responses showing appropriate working, but an incorrect answer
gained through faulty arithmetic may still score some marks.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further enquiries.

Margaret Baldry
Senior Assessment Officer, Science
"
Just wanted to make it clear to everyone now:)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
however, just note that the use of physics within maths papers is very bad and can result in no marks for perfectly correct solutions

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
dawso said:
however, just note that the use of physics within maths papers is very bad and can result in no marks for perfectly correct solutions
This is because physics is not maths.
Solving a maths question using physics is just the mindless substitution of numbers into a formula or 2. It requires no effort and next to no logic to achieve the correct answer.

In a maths exam they want to see that we can actually apply something useful to a question, and that we do, in fact, have brains.

dawso

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
This is because physics is not maths.
Solving a maths question using physics is just the mindless substitution of numbers into a formula or 2. It requires no effort and next to no logic to achieve the correct answer.

In a maths exam they want to see that we can actually apply something useful to a question, and that we do, in fact, have brains.
well said......BRING BACK THE REP

香港!

HSC
hahaha yeap, u can't use these unrealistic physics formulas in maths but u can use maths stuff in physics!!

rama_v

HSC
btw do we need to derive the range and maximum height formulas when using them in physics, like we need to do in 3 unit, or can we just state that range = V2sin2@/g etc. ?

dawso

HSC
within the marking criteria, this aspect comes under the heading "shows appropriate working"

our teacher said that this is defined as working that enables the marker 2 see how u got the answer, therefore, they know the formulas u are using so its all gud

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
rama_v said:
btw do we need to derive the range and maximum height formulas when using them in physics, like we need to do in 3 unit, or can we just state that range = V2sin2@/g etc. ?
i was udner the impression you're suppose to use the formulas on the sheet to get your answer (under the show all workings)

helper

HSC
N/A
Jago said:
i was udner the impression you're suppose to use the formulas on the sheet to get your answer (under the show all workings)
As long as it is a recognised formua it is ok. Eg last years projectile question. You could use the range formula and it was easy marks. Just remember it is only for level ground.

A recognised formula is one listed, commonly used or correctly derived.

klaw

HSC
Sorry to revive a year old thread but I sent an email regarding the same thing a while ago and the response was quite different. It said:
Dear Kevin
I refer to your email of 9 August 2006 requesting clarification about calculations in the HSC Physics course. I refer you to pages 38-40 in the Physics syllabus where the essential skills content to be addressed across all the HSC modules is described. On page 40 the content in 13.1d (using symbols and formulae to express relationships and using appropriate units for physical quantities) identifies that using Physics formulae is an important skill in communicating information and understanding. Using mathematical formula and working may result in the correct answer to a question. However, if your answer is incorrect applying the appropriate Physics formula may result in your response being allocated some marks.

Yours sincerely
Gina Grant
Inspector Science
She didn't actually explicitly state that we'd lose marks, but she's implying it by saying that it's on the syllabus.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
klaw said:
Sorry to revive a year old thread but I sent an email regarding the same thing a while ago and the response was quite different. It said:

She didn't actually explicitly state that we'd lose marks, but she's implying it by saying that it's on the syllabus.
lol 'Inspector Science', im just going to stick to the formulae unless theres some crazy question where i can use calculus for a better understanding.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol
i conferred with my physics teacher.

he said we can use the 3u method IF. and only IF it doesn't state to solve the projectile motion via first principle where u gotta use the physics formulaes :)

<3 the calculus approach though :)

dawso

HSC
way to bring back a hella old thread....but....

different subjects have different syllabuses and even different meanings for things...

like if in english, if it said to discuss the 'hyperbola' used in a certain text, you cant just use ur maths theory and say that it is a conic section with eccentricity > 1....

but yeah, im doin engineering now at uni and its so stupid, all the shit u learn in maths at school goes out the window, you just use the physics based theorems, however, if you are tryig more complicated problems, you need the theory itself and that is where the maths comes back...

basically....its the hsc, its all about rote learning what they want you to learn so they can assess you, you can cry and bitch all you want (like i did) but in the end, it gets you no where, well...itl get you to tafe i suppose...

Maths Champion

HSC
I looked at the marking guidelines guys, and the way it works is you may get one mark for using the correct equation from the formula sheet given in the hsc exam and the other marks purely go off correct answer. Are you sure they will still give marks even for using calculus? I reckon you could do it back then, however today now that physics is a social science and there is honestly hardly any maths anymore, I recommend just using the equations given to you and just re-arrange formulae. Sadly that's the way it is today. No more deriving equations, just substitution. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Why couldn't they just make physics like they used to, with alot of maths. That is real physics. Today physics is all about history, it is an arts subject.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
I looked at the marking guidelines guys, and the way it works is you may get one mark for using the correct equation from the formula sheet given in the hsc exam and the other marks purely go off correct answer. Are you sure they will still give marks even for using calculus? I reckon you could do it back then, however today now that physics is a social science and there is honestly hardly any maths anymore, I recommend just using the equations given to you and just re-arrange formulae. Sadly that's the way it is today. No more deriving equations, just substitution. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Why couldn't they just make physics like they used to, with alot of maths. That is real physics. Today physics is all about history, it is an arts subject.
Yeah, Physics is an arts subject now. Don't worry, in Uni is where the fun starts. Nah, no calculus sadly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)