Here to help (1 Viewer)

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
Hi,

I'm Tweety, i've recently finished my HSC in Senior Science. I know how frustrating it can be to find help for senior science (there is so little information regarding senior science). I'm just offering my help to all those senior scientists out there. Just post your questions here and I'll do my best to answer them (no guarantees).

Cheers,
-Tweetie

p.s just in case your wondering about my credibility... *hopes i don't sound like i'm boasting* i happened to do very well in my hsc for senior science...i topped the state.

oopsidaisy

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if you were able to help me with Lifestyle Chemistry from the senior science course.
I need to design an experiment using lifestyle chemistry and test a claim of one of these commercial products (body wash, shampoo, soaps, etc) and design and perform a scientific experiment!
If you can help, please let me know!

thanks

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
ok, well i can tell you what i did for that experiment.
We used the claim from dove soap. I think the claim was the Dove soap is less harsh on the skin than normal soaps...you might have to check that one.

What we did was, we got pH paper, dipped finger in water and then pressed it on the pH paper. Observed and recorded the colour. (this shows the ph of your skin)
Then we dipped the finger in water and rubbed it in dove soap and then pressed it on pH paper. Observed and recorded the colour. (ph of dove)
Then we did the same with a variety of other soaps eg. palmolive etc. (ph of normal soap)

Then in your discussion you can talk about how the pH of the dove was closer to the pH of the skin than the normal soaps, therefore less harsh on skin blah blah blah not as disruptive to microflora than normal soaps therefore blah blah blah...get the drift?

Remember: In all experiments to have reliability, validity and accuracy...markers love that stuff.

I hope that helped. Just ask if you need anything clarified, or you need more help.

-Tweetie

p.s all credit goes to my highschool teacher as she discovered the claim and all we had to do was carry out and write up the experiment.

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
hi im wondering if you could please help me with identifying emulsifiers. im not sure what materials i will need to carry out an experiment, to test the properties of six unknown emulsifiers. i seem to be very confused! if you could help that would be great, thanx

Quote from Melmacarl

- plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to gather information about the properties of different emulsions and use available evidence to compare those properties

- plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to distinguish between oil-in-water and water-in-oil based emulsions.

i think you are referring to these dot points in the syllabus...if so, then i can tell you what i did...i'm a bit rusty though...

In terms of emulsions there are only two that you need to know. Oil in Water and Water in Oil.

To identify which is which, you need food dye and fuchsin dye.

Food dye will dissolve in water, thus, if the dye dissolves in the emulsion it is a oil in water emulsion.

Fuchsin dye dissolves in oils, therefore if the dye dissolves in the emulsion, it is a water in oil emulsion.

I hope i'm answering the right thing...

If not, let me know...if you give me the dot point it is related to, it would be great!

Hope that helps, i really do. Good Luck with it.

-Tweetie

Last edited:

ParisBradfield

HSC
HELP ME!
anyway you have a summary on this whole topic? with examples? for those who cant make sense of the textbook and need things to be set out in dumb peoples language?

x

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
Hi,
I can help you if you ask me about areas you don't understand or dot points (in the syllabus) you need help with...but i can't give you a whole topic summary...simply because i've always hand written my study notes, and it would take me forever to type or scan them all up. Oh...and i gave them to my teacher as a present =P ...so i don't even have them anymore...

But feel free to ask me about anything you don't get, and i will help you as best i can..."with examples" and "set out in dumb peoples language". LoL

Goodluck!

-tweetie

nichole.edwards

HSC
hello.. im am currently doin HSC ss atm.. lol im not sure if you would kno this or not, but the HARVIE method for writting experiments.. would you happen to kno this.. if so thanks

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
i wouldn't have a clue...i'm really sorry...

does it really matter? *looks puzzled*

i suppose they should all be similar

aim:
hypothesis:
method:
Discussion:
Conclusion:

so sorry i couldn't help...have you tried wikipedia? LoL

good luck anyway

-tweety

JayneDoe

HSC
This is what HARVIE stands for:

H - Hazards/safety
A - Accuracy/averages
R - Reliability
V - Variables
I - Improvements
E - Errors

Hope it helps. ^_^

Maddy1012

HSC
tweety_bui said:
Hi,

I'm Tweety, i've recently finished my HSC in Senior Science. I know how frustrating it can be to find help for senior science (there is so little information regarding senior science). I'm just offering my help to all those senior scientists out there. Just post your questions here and I'll do my best to answer them (no guarantees).

Cheers,
-Tweetie

p.s just in case your wondering about my credibility... *hopes i don't sound like i'm boasting* i happened to do very well in my hsc for senior science...i topped the state.
i have an assessment where we have to answer some questions on the computer during class tiem this friday. Do you have msn? it would be great to ask u a couple questions. or even myspace.

tweety_bui

schizophrenic vision
HSC
this friday? I'm at uni ...sorry...plus wouldn't that be cheating? ;-P LoL...and yeah, i do have a myspace...

Maddy1012

HSC
tweety_bui said:
this friday? I'm at uni ...sorry...plus wouldn't that be cheating? ;-P LoL...and yeah, i do have a myspace...
hahaha, i meant prior to the exam. silly.:)

hey, i have a question.. our whole class seems to be marked really hardly.. like the highest mark ever has been like 87% by me and theres me and like 2 other people and we are trying so hard and i know everything so far back to front but our teacher just seems to mark us hard so we're going to go into the HSC exams with a heaps average assessment mark.will that affect me and the other 2 people.. even if we get like 90+ in the actual HSC exam? I just feel like im studying senior science heaps and heaps and its not getting me a band 6 like i need =( do u have any suggestions on how to get a band 6 in science? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

craino

HSC
tweety_bui said:
We used the claim from dove soap. I think the claim was the Dove soap is less harsh on the skin than normal soaps...you might have to check that one.

What we did was, we got pH paper, dipped finger in water and then pressed it on the pH paper. Observed and recorded the colour. (this shows the ph of your skin)
Then we dipped the finger in water and rubbed it in dove soap and then pressed it on pH paper. Observed and recorded the colour. (ph of dove)
Then we did the same with a variety of other soaps eg. palmolive etc. (ph of normal soap)

Then in your discussion you can talk about how the pH of the dove was closer to the pH of the skin than the normal soaps, therefore less harsh on skin blah blah blah not as disruptive to microflora than normal soaps therefore blah blah blah...get the drift?

Remember: In all experiments to have reliability, validity and accuracy...markers love that stuff.

I hope that helped. Just ask if you need anything clarified, or you need more help.

-Tweetie

p.s all credit goes to my highschool teacher as she discovered the claim and all we had to do was carry out and write up the experiment.
Thanks for this. It is exactly the experiment i was going to do!!
wat a coincidence!!
perhaps we could share results :p lol
:wave:

asakura89

HSC
Help Me TT....

Help me > <
hi!
i'm just struggling about ssc.....TT
i just have a doubt about the studying ssc.
Do we have to memorise all of examples for surfactants,various types of emulsions,solvents,pesticides etc?

Like i'm doing the text questions right now, but i can be bothered to memorise all stuff for each substance TT

And i wonder if you could give the good advice about how to study senior science..

Thank you! and Happy new year^^!:)

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
Re: Help Me TT....

asakura89 said:
Help me > <
hi!
i'm just struggling about ssc.....TT
i just have a doubt about the studying ssc.
Do we have to memorise all of examples for surfactants,various types of emulsions,solvents,pesticides etc?

Like i'm doing the text questions right now, but i can be bothered to memorise all stuff for each substance TT

And i wonder if you could give the good advice about how to study senior science..

Thank you! and Happy new year^^!:)

Hiya! Now I'm not much of a studying type of person, nor am I a big fan of science, but I was ranked 1st in my class and got band 5 in senior science for the HSC last year so I did alright somewhere along the track. What I did was re-read notes I was given by the teacher, and I got some really good ones from here as well (resource page), and just memorised experiments and one or two examples. Everything is worth memorising, even the sound of how the heart beats. I know it sounds extremely painful but in the end senior science is really fun (this is coming from someone who has failed science since year 7 and only passed in year 12).

Some semi-related advice: when you get do-it-yourself-experiment assignments, do it with a friend cause chances are you're most likely remember what’s important because you would discuses is during the experiment (like the pill experiment you do during pharmaceuticals). Every assignment /experiment you do will ALWAYS somehow show up in a test sooner or later, so don't just think it’s a shit-hole assignment the teacher has given to torture you with.

All in all, the key to passing senior science is memorising and not thinking it’s a hassle. I mean who knew mayonnaise needed egg white to hold it together eh?

Rajan123

HSC
hey i was just wondering if u have anything on the experiment concerning:

perform an investigation to gather data comparing the rate at which capsules, tablets, enteric coated tablets, and slow-release tablets dissolve

i would really appreciate the help
thank you=)

stephiiee

HSC

-Tweetie

Hey ; i've been doing this experiment & gotten stuck. My teacher is of NO help & i can't ask her for anything. i'm wondering how i explain how Dove soap was better for the skin & why & all that shizz. i'm confused on how i'm sposed to explain the reasons behind it all.
i used Lux soap & Palmoliver as well as soap.
Lux & palmolive had a pH of 9.
Dove was 7.
My skin was 8.

Please help !!

happykaylee

HSC
how and what do i study for senior science trialssss:( its THIS TUESDAYY:( i need help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)