Senior science and scaling (1 Viewer)

hentaisama

HSC
hey guys, i just have been hearing a whole lot of hoobla about how terrible senior science scales. ive seen things that say getting in the 90 percentile (47/50) drops you down to 33/50. 94 raw to 66 scaled uai?! thats ridiculous in my opinion.

can anyone with firsthand experience prove how much truth there is to this? most people i ask say getting band6 regardless of the subject wont detriment your uai, but then again i did get those figures off the offical scaling guide..

ie long story short, if i get 95 raw for senior science, what will my scaled mark be and will it drag down my overall atar score?

ps: to anyone interested in senior science, if you've done chem/phys its relatively easy, but thats not to say its boring, i LOVE the medical physics bits, its just a real pity they never test us on the hard theory bits

pps: 3umaths,3ueng,phys,chem,snrsci atm, thats 12 units and im torn between droppping 3u eng and snr sci, absolutely despise 3u eng btw D: anyone have advice for me

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It scales badly because it's a shit subject and anyone with an ounce of brains would do atleast one of the three major science subjects in lieu of such an inane and mindless subject.

Fin

edit: I just saw your pps. Why in the name of fuck are you doing Senior Science when you're doing phys, chem and 3umaths? What is wrong with you?

hentaisama

HSC
long story short, i started off with mod history, then to visual arts, then to senior science which was meant as a total backup subject (this was the point where i started to realize 3U ROMANTICISM AND TESTOSTERONE DOSENT MIX)

but yeah i dont know, trials for 3u eng next thursday, considering just pulling a essay out my ass on the day. love the creative writing though, write like a sensitive woman and its a auto band 5

hentaisama

HSC
australian high school education system taught me to effing hate english, if i had the units, yeah id drop snr sci and eng ext if i could.

anw in your opinion, you reckon ~72 in 3u eng vs ~95 in senior sci, which reflects better in atar

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I have no idea, I did my HSC in 2005 and I dare say the system is probably a bit different now. Not sure how it will scale with the ATAR, given it has only been introduced this year.

We were always told that an 80 in Advanced English was better than a 90 in Standard English, (as an example of scaling, idk)

If you hate English, drop it. If you're doing better in Senior Sci and think you can do significantly better in snr science than 3U it's probably worth dropping. Otherwise, why not just drop to 2U Eng and 2U English and Snr Science?

I dunno.

hentaisama

HSC
as long as getting a kickass mark in senior sci dosent significantly screw up my atar, ill drop eng ext in a heartbeat based on the sheer fact that senior science is soooo much more interesting.

i mean cmon, wuthering heights, 300 pages of repressed sexual tension and im meant to write a essay on this?

f.m.l

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
If you get a fantastic senior science mark, you can still get a good UAI/ATAR. I got a final mark of 98 for senior sci and ended up with a UAI of 96.5. No idea about scaling though.

(and UGH, I hated Wuthering Heights too.)

hentaisama

HSC
well its offical, i couldnt be bothered to drag my arse out of bed on the morning of english extension trials so now its do or die for senior science.

wish me luck, i need to LEARN (not revise) 4 modules in 2 days D:

harry4

HSC
i thought you weren't allowed to so snr science if you did any other sciences (ie chem and phys)

or is that just a rule at my school?

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
my cousin did bio and chem in yr 11 and dropped chem for senior science in yr 12...

rawrawr

HSC
one of the kids at hurlstone in the past years topped the state in senior science.. sadly i didn't get counted to their uai because the other subjects scaled better...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)