What is the most interesting HSC science course (1 Viewer)

What is the best, most interesting Year 12 HSC science course?

• Biology

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Earth and Environmental Science

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Physics

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Senior Science

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

chowm

HSC
Chemistry is the most interesting because the subject is based on the analysis of the components of substances and their subsequent effect on the surrounding environment. Chemistry is made up of four components, Production of Materials, Acidic Environment, Chemical Monitoring and Management followed by an option.

Production of Materials is about the chemicals that are currently present in society or will be more widely present in the near future. The first topic is about ethylene an important monomer, produced from petrochemicals which is used in various applications such as for plastic bins and petrol containers. Its structure can be changed to widen its applications. The next section is about polymers, their structure and why their structure is relative to their application. Followed by ethanol and its application as a fuel and increasing interest for ethanol to become standard throughout all vehicles. Electrochemistry is about ions and how they contribute to the operation of batteries. Nuclear Chemistry is about radioactive isotopes and their structure, along with their relative applications to fields such as industry and medicine.

However Acidic Environment is totally different. In this topic you will move onto topics such as acids and bases, what makes them acidic /and or basic ?, the idea of reversible reactions and making esters.

Chemical Monitoring is comprised mainly of looking at water and the atmosphere. First the student will be involved in describing the role of chemists in analysing chemicals. This is followed by the production of ammonia through a special procedure called the Haber Process. This is followed by the processes involved in monitoring the atmosphere and water and the need to do so.

Chemistry is based heavily on content. There is alot of information to be memorised along with formulas, though from the start chemistry is an interesting topic, you may also be interested in Chemistry if you like maths over english. Compared to chemistry, biology starts off boring for example talking about how animals urine and the reason for urinating, though it eventually gets more interesting such as the concept of disease.

Chemistry is an interesting subject. The year eleven course in both subjects is based on foundation work, though chemistry spikes an instant enthusiasm within all students when the year twelve course commences. Both courses involve hard work, dedication in your studies, the reward comes in the form of understanding content and achieving fabulous marks. I recommend the study of Chemistry over Biology.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Physics. At least it is logical to some extent (ie. apart from the scientist stuff etc). Of course, the old course was far more logical -_-;

Chemistry is okay, but it's too much memorising and exceptions.

Schoey93

HSC
I think that biology is under-rated. I have seen the conepts explored in 'Maintaining a Balance' and there is much more to learn than "how animals urinate and the reason for urinating". Why would that be boring, anyway?

It's interesting that chowm said he preferred chemistry. Do you find that you can apply it to your everyday activity? Is it very mathematical? What makes it so interesting to you? I could not engage with the Year 11 text Conquering Chemistry: Preliminary Course.

I agree that physics is quite interesting. I might choose it, but probably not, because I am not doing mathematics. The medical physics topic is particularly appealing to me. I might study that even if I don't do physics.

Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to hear different perspectives.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
Biology appealed most to me out of the HSC sciences, as it sounds simple and interesting throughout both the preliminary and HSC courses. Despite getting a bad review from many students, the preliminary course is quite interesting to me going off what I have read in the textbook Biology in Focus: Preliminary Course. The history of microscopes topic in the Patterns in Nature module is very entertaining (I'm not joking!) - Patterns in Nature will probably be my favourite Year 11 Bio module. Life on Earth should be fun - evolution is quite a fascinating idea - so Evolution of Australian Biota can't be too bad either. A Local Ecosystem will be a very practical, involved module.

Year 12 is where it really gets interesting though. Out of all the Year 12 sciences' course outlines, Biology's is the most appealing to me. Maintaining a Balance, Blueprint of Life and The Search for Better Health, then hopefully Genetics: the Code Broken? The genetics modules fascinate me.

HSC Physics also seems very interesting, but it has of course been significantly dumbed down, which is worrying. It's not very mathematical at HSC level, but if you go to university to study and find that the maths is very heavy. However, the lacking mathematical component (minimal mathematics is required) makes Physics accessible to a wider range of students, which is good.

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Biology is shit (bring on the neg reps)

Physics is awesome

Schoey93

HSC
chem def has the most actual science (although hsc science is very limited) out of the options, not as much history crap
The history of science is a part of the study of science. You can actually major in 'the history and philosophy of science' if you do a B Sc (Bachelor of Science) at the University of Sydney. It is understandably the most boring part of the study of science for many individuals, however. It sounds like you would be better suited to International Baccalaureate sciences, as you are uninterested in the history and philosophy of science, I presume.

The preliminary and HSC chemistry courses seem quite boring to me. I initially put my name down for chemistry, because I thought it would be 'the good type of chemistry' i.e. kitchen chemistry, body chemistry, movement chemistry, neuroscience; brain chemistry. It turned out it was still somewhat interesting, but very dry in some parts and no-where near as good as I had imagined.

So I changed to senior science, and deciding that it would not be challenging enough, changed to biology.

Can anyone explain to me their fascination with preliminary and HSC chemistry?

I can understand how many people find it interesting as a discipline or university major, but I just can't understand why people are fascinated by HSC chemistry.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
The history of science is a part of the study of science. You can actually major in 'the history and philosophy of science' if you do a B Sc (Bachelor of Science) at the University of Sydney.
You said it --> History of Science. Most people who have an interest in science, are interested in the real science, not some history of how theories were formed etc.

Studying sciences at USyd is a totally different story too.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
However, the lacking mathematical component (minimal mathematics is required) makes Physics accessible to a wider range of students, which is good.
No it isn't it brings scaling down. What's the use of bringing non-maths people to Physics. If they're mathematically inclined they would fail or not pursue anything Physics related after the HSC.

Schoey93

HSC
Even if they don't pursue physics at university, at least they might remember a few cool things that they can tell their kids later on in life. Are you going to complain about poor scaling in physics? That would be ill-informed.

Schoey93

HSC
You said it --> History of Science. Most people who have an interest in science, are interested in the real science, not some history of how theories were formed etc.

Studying sciences at USyd is a totally different story too.
Uh, if you're a truly committed scientist, I think that you would be interested in both the history and philosophy of science and the scientific method/scientific concepts. Sure, the history of science can be a bit boring for some - but personally, the history of microscopes in biology is damn interesting. Many people would disagree but they have their opinion and I have mine.

The philosophy of science can be fascinating. Feyerabend's 'anything goes' philosophy of science is quite interesting. I like how he devalues the consistency condition which asks for new hypotheses to conform to accepted theories, as this preserves the old theories.

micuzzo

HSC
Uh, if you're a truly committed scientist, I think that you would be interested in both the history and philosophy of science and the scientific method/scientific concepts. Sure, the history of science can be a bit boring for some - but personally, the history of microscopes in biology is damn interesting. Many people would disagree but they have their opinion and I have mine.

The philosophy of science can be fascinating. Feyerabend's 'anything goes' philosophy of science is quite interesting. I like how he devalues the consistency condition which asks for new hypotheses to conform to accepted theories, as this preserves the old theories.
i found chem more enjoyable than physics bcoz of all the cool pracs... but about this history stuff i agree that history is a very important part of science... i mean it is though history [historical facts and assumptions] that most of today's theories were once derived... however history in hsc science is too boring... the only thing thats ok imo is Fritz Haber's story in chem...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
but about this history stuff i agree that history is a very important part of science...
You have to be kidding right?

Most people do Physics (or Chem) for the actual science involved. If they liked history, then they'd do something like Ancient History or something.

Schoey93

HSC
chem scales better than physics

and schoey stop using conjecture to form arguments. i seriously doubt you know what the scientific community truly values.

you ever read a proper scientific journal?
Conjecture involves guessing or speculation. I don't think that I have guessed things. I don't believe that the HPS major would be available if history and philosophy were not important parts of science. I also have not actually made many arguments. I have just spoke about the HSC science courses and offered my opinion. I've read New Scientist but I doubt that counts. Is it a scientific journal?

Science is for everyone, not just academics. Different people have different ideas about what science is and what its role should be. Different people value different things about science, to say that the scientific community all value the same things is a generalisation.

micuzzo

HSC
You have to be kidding right?

Most people do Physics (or Chem) for the actual science involved. If they liked history, then they'd do something like Ancient History or something.
... i meant science in general

bio_nut

HSC
Conjecture involves guessing or speculation. I don't think that I have guessed things. I don't believe that the HPS major would be available if history and philosophy were not important parts of science. I also have not actually made many arguments. I have just spoke about the HSC science courses and offered my opinion. I've read New Scientist but I doubt that counts. Is it a scientific journal?

Science is for everyone, not just academics. Different people have different ideas about what science is and what its role should be. Different people value different things about science, to say that the scientific community all value the same things is a generalisation.
lol, no, New Scientist is not a scientific journal...

The HPS is not popular, it's like a dummy major. Most choose to do a real science so people take them seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)