Needing help with my Information Systems research task (1 Viewer)

Glotz_

HSC
So basically, I've been asked to provide a research task and I'm struggling with 1 or 2 aspects. I'm good with structure and I know my topic really well, which is mobile phones and data exchanges and stuff. My question is, would anyone have even a worded example of 1 or 2 transformations of energy so I can see a good example of one and hopefully make one up myself, I just don't know what to start with.

Thanks

Kat92

HSC
Be clear about the processes you are describing:

An information transfer process refers to: code --> message --> transmission --> decoder

An energy transfer refers to moving one form of energy, e.g. electrical wires carrying electricity from power station to your home

An energy transformation refers to changing a form of energy into another form, e.g. electrical --> KE

For example a radio would be: Sound ----> electrical ----> Radio waves ----> electrical ----> sound

Compact Disc players:To provide the rotation of the disc: Electrical ----> KE (movement)
For the sensing system: Light ----> Electrical ----> KE (sound)

Glotz_

HSC
Thanks, for helping to clarify that. I understand a bit better now. So the question asks, "Identify and describe at least 3 energy transformations in which information exchange occurs." So I'd say it would relate to energy that changes it's signal or 'form' eg; Microphone -> Sound Transmitter -> Diplexer -> Transmitting Antenna (Electromagnetic Signal) etc. Now that I think I'm pretty clear on the structure, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me create one or two for mobile phones.

I'm thinking something like the process an SMS takes when being sent from one phone to another as one example.

Kat92

HSC
Yep, thats the correct structuring! :)

One that I can think of for the sound transfer on a mobile would be:

Sound --> electrical --> EMR (radio waves)---> electrical ---> EMR (radio waves) --> electrical ---> Sound & light.

I am not too sure about the SMS one as it uses different protocols, encryption in binary and sends to centralised storage areas before being transmitted further to the recipient.

Glotz_

HSC
I think I've got it sorted. I'll post it here, anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I should be all good.

Cell Sites:

Computers control mobile service -> signal is sent out via transmitter antenna -> received by local towers stationed at the highest point in each ‘cell site’. --> towers create a spectrum and allow mobile phones to connect to the service provider via the localized towers. -> in more technologically populated areas such as business complex, cell sites are more frequent and split up into smaller areas in order to provide the best possible signal to all within the business complex.

Sound (The actual signal that makes the phone light up and call)
Sound --> electrical --> EMR (radio waves)---> electrical ---> EMR (radio waves) --> electrical ---> Sound & light.

Call (The sending of the signals from the original caller through the mobile service provider to another mobile)

- (Call taking place) Phone ----> (electrical signal) -> Coder (converted to digital) --> Light source ---digital optical fibre --> Repeater ---digital optical fibre ---> light detector ---> digital electrical --> decoder ---> (electrical)

Kat92

HSC
I think you should be fine. It looks all good to me and you have given a heading about what each process is conveying.

Good job! Hope it all goes well for you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)