Yo i need senior science advice (1 Viewer)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok so im debating whether or not i do senior science or 10 units. I'm going to drop chemistry because i hate it and im horrible at it plus the maths aspect. ( i just got back an assessment where i literally failed) I also do biology. I love biology but im afraid that if i do senior science that there will be some aspects that i hated such as equations, maths and formulas.
Is there a lot of this in senior science? Im a bit afraid that i wont like the physics and chemistry section?
How would you rate their difficulties?
Scaling doesn't really matter to me.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANYONE THAT RESPONDS! :p

moocow920

HSC
I did both bio and chem in year 11 and changed chem to senior science for hsc. I definitely do not regret this change as i was doing very poorly in chem due to me not putting in enough work as well as changing schools and family circumstances, so i decided I would not be able to catch up enough to do well in HSC year. Senior science has no formulas or equations whatsoever that I can think of, and no maths that I can think of off the top of my head at all. The lifestyle chemistry unit was not chemistry at all, it was just like water molecules and how they effect the properties of household materials such as detergents.

Honestly there is really no maths, chem or physics involved, maybe have a look at a past paper or two to see the kinds of questions they ask? If you are really struggling with chemistry I highly suggest doing senior, as if you have any basic scientific ability and can remember things it will not take a lot of work to get a Band 6. You obviously still need to do work and learn the content but it is nothing compared to chem. It doesn't scale well but I would definitely recommend doing senior, because it is always better to have a spare unit or two for your ATAR, and the amount of effort senior generally requires will not distract from your other subjects at all.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions I am happy to help

Kat92

HSC
The only maths involved was capture/ recapture questions, basic graphing and writing an equation for Information systems.

Other than that as moocow920 has mentioned most of it is a simplistic nature based around some general knowledge.

alphabetafeta96

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok so are the equations for information systems easier than half equations, net ionic, complete ionic etc equations for chemistry?

watapple

HSC
Well if your doing options: Disasters

There is some formula involved

Just calculating the speed of the earthquake/Time to get to the specific area/Distance covered within the time frame

All this is just arranging formulas like you do in general maths

yulec

ilovehim
HSC
I did Senior Science when I was doing my HSC (2011) and it was easy. No formulas involved. It's just basic science with a bit of bio. Best part is learning about the cardiovascular system :)

alphabetafeta96

HSC
Uni Grad
Just to give you guys an update, I did drop to go to senior science and have come first in two assessments. Definitely the right choice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)