help? (1 Viewer)

CK*

HSC
anyone do an assessment on testing the quality of reception of AM and FM radio? I need some help !

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
CK* said:
anyone do an assessment on testing the quality of reception of AM and FM radio? I need some help !
First up. Have you checked the resources on BoS?
2) Have you got any study guides?

Okay what you have to do (if i remember correctly) is to somehow interfer with the signal. This can be done using alliminium foil, putting a mobile or other device that emits EMS (electronic magnetic signals), putting one of the radios in a cupboard. (there are other tests you can do, but this is off the top of my head).
Record all observations and repeat experiment using different radio stations, different environments (ie the tests), and if possible different radios.

wahoo

Bra not to woory im coming first in my school senior science is all common scence if u think it snds right do it

ShorTSTuFF

Natalie
HSC
i'm doin that expt too! when our teacher was explaining it to us it sounded really hard and complicated :S

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
we did this experiment also.. we walked around the school with the radio on Am then walked the same course again on FM and recorded results if there was any inteference.. we walked through dense plant growth, in an open space, in an enclosed walkway, in the woodwork and metalwork sheds under powerboxs and cables.. and had to compare the difference in frequency etc.. mobile phones and airconditioner ducts also create a disturbance.

cookiemate

HSC
informations systems is the WORST!

Does anyone else think that this unit is the most boring thing in the whole world ? It makes me want to gnaw my own foot off!
*dies* :jedi:

aka_bomber

HSC
gather, process and analyse information from secondary sources to identify the satellites used for live "live" telecasts from other regions of the world to Australia and vice versa and present reasons why communication staellites have different aerials and positional orbits

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<my frend got that as an assessment task, except we sat down trying to firgure the question out n still dont get it.......HELP!!

cookiemate

HSC
i think

doesn't it mean "use the internet and books (secondary sources) to show how live sports etc are broadcast between countries ? ie if there's a game of cricket in england, how we can get the signal almost simulatenously, so we can watch Australia SUCK ... :chainsaw:

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
You could plan an investigation as a series of simple tests using a radio. One example would be to listen to the clarity of communication as you walk a pre-planned path around and through buildings. You will need to consider what characteristics of AM and FM radio you will compare and how you will measure or rate these, e.g. clarity of signal at different times of the day. Consider different conditions to which you could test the radio’s reception, such as through different materials, under different weather conditions or the effect of other nearby sources of electromagnetic radiation (EMR).

When choosing equipment or resources, use a single radio with both AM and FM reception to help reduce some of the variables to be considered in your investigation. Choose an AM station and an FM station that sound clear under optimal conditions.

Perform the investigation several times under different conditions to gain the most reliable results.

Your comparison of the data obtained could be recorded in a table. You could measure:

-the strength of the signal (Did it fade under certain conditions and then return?)

-the clarity of signal (Was there interference?) and

-the quality of the sound.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Snow Pea! said:
we did this experiment also.. we walked around the school with the radio on Am then walked the same course again on FM and recorded results if there was any inteference.. we walked through dense plant growth, in an open space, in an enclosed walkway, in the woodwork and metalwork sheds under powerboxs and cables.. and had to compare the difference in frequency etc.. mobile phones and airconditioner ducts also create a disturbance.
What results did you get?

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
What results did you get?
ummm am was the most effected... fm was effected around electrical devices tho.. yeh.. it relates to the wavelengths of the certain frequency of radio and stuff like that.. aka they didnt work very well in highly vegetated area. etc

florag

HSC
Re: informations systems is the WORST!

Gahh.. agreed:angryfire:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)