Information Systems AM vs FM (1 Viewer)

4Phil

HSC
Help plz! Im doing am assesment task which involves comparing the quality of reception of AM and FM radio waves. Im not sure how to go about actually comparing the 2.
It's meant to be a proper experiment so i need to have controls variables etc and include risk assessment etc etc.

Thnx to anyone can help

Last edited:

murrayoz@bigpon

HSC
I've got to do the same experiment. Can you tell me how you went about the experiment. I need all the help I can get.
Thanks
Alison

dan22

HSC
i juts got given that same assessment yesterday. if anyone have any information or know how to do it that would b appreciated.
just email me danielle_peel@hotmail.com
thanks

maudezilla

HSC
yeh i have the same assignment...
my teacher did this thing using electrical device that he put next to the radio. the electric thing made alot of disturbance on am but there was no chance in fm.
the thing is im not sure what that was, and id really like to use it in my experiment. If anyone knows what it is, please tell me~
thank you!~

4Phil

HSC
I just finished :)
I just took readings of quality (by ear) in a low area, control and elevated area.

kesh1

HSC
N/A
plan, choose equipmer resources for and perform first hand inv. to comapre quality of reception of Am and FM radio waves. This experiment can easily be done at home. :)

Draw up table
One column has stations 2 from AM, 2 from FM. second column titled banwidth, 3rd column titled clarity
results for fm
greater clarity, clear, no interference
broad bandwidth, tune into a wide area

AM
static,
narrow bandwidth,

The results support hypothesis of FM having better quality. This is due to FM only changing wavelength, rather than amplitude which AM does. Hence noise and intereference was not problematic for FM.

Discussion
Experiment tested more imes, greater diversity of stations tested, different locations used, different types of radio eg. car radio, mobile radio,
range of people used in recording, ensures no bias, anc greater accuracy

Risks.
Ensure volume not to loud, and listen from a safe distance from speakers
Also, ensure there is no interferences such as mobiles near radio
(Pretty general stuff there)

eshayyz

HSC
hey guys
are u able to post up results within hopefully the next 2 hours???
greatly appreciated

HSC
hint: 2 year old threads are dead for a reason lolz got 34/35 for this as an oei

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)