Should I pick up Senior Science? (1 Viewer)

chltmddus112

HSC
Hey guys =)

I am thinking about picking up senior science for next year
(so i will be doing 14 units), tho all my fiends are telling me not to because it scales really bad (which i think is true...) and it is waste of time to study for senior science...

I am just wondering, how is senior science? Do you think it is hard for an ESL student to study? (I suck at writing =( ). Is there a lot of calculations or things to memorise??

By the way, the subjects i am doing next year are:

Maths Ext2, Maths Ext1, ESL, Business Studies, Physics, Korean Background and possibly senior science XD;

Thanks !

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Senior Science is a great choice. I dont think it'll be hard for you. btw, Senior Science has quite low scaling

layzeehbum

HSC
wtf

why are you trying 2 do 14 units!? trust me that is a total waste of time since you'll get heaps of homework and assignments and only the best 10 units including english will be counted.

i wouldnt recommend of doing senior science since the scaling is quite low. if you still insist on doing it, then gud luck coz u hav 2 get a reali high mark 2 get good uai, plus the workload is pretty much a lot as well.

i would suggest you on doing either phys or chem. they are scaled higher as well but mayb more interesting 2 study!?

but if im u, i would just do either 11 or 12 units.

layzeehbum

HSC
and are you even allowed 2 do 14 units?

coz i noe tha sum ppl who are doing 13 units at my skul hav 2 be interviewed by the deputy principal, since the workload is way 2 much. my school is onli recommending min. 10 max. 12 units

plus, since you're planning on doing maths ext 2 and maths ext 1, those subjects will scale you really high if you do well.

im saying this partly from my personal experience

appletooth

HSC
Ok so senior science does scale pretty badly, but to anyone who genuinely enjoys science, I say go for it. It's definitely not going to stop you from getting a high UAI if you do well in it. I got a UAI of 99+ and senior science was included in the calculation of my UAI. Just choose things you'll enjoy, and you'll do well.

micuzzo

HSC
what scales better... industrial technology or snr science...sorry for hyjack

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
what scales better... industrial technology or snr science...sorry for hyjack
snr science, basically every subject scales better than industrial tech...sort of..

micuzzo

HSC
hmmm... interesting... it really should scale better... there is soo much work involved in ind tech (graphics that is)... more than MX1

sydmed2010

HSC
I am doing Adv Eng, 3U Maths, Bio, Phys, Chem and Modern History for Prelim HSC this year n I am considering to drop phys and chem next year and pick up senior science. Am I actually eligible for the Senior Science course for my HSC next year?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Don't drop Phys and Chem. You obviously love Science, so don't drop them for Senior Science, it's not worth it. You are eligible, but don't do it. Whatever subject you score worst in, drop that, but then stick to 11 units, it will allow you to concentrate more.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Don't drop Phys and Chem. You obviously love Science, so don't drop them for Senior Science, it's not worth it. You are eligible, but don't do it. Whatever subject you score worst in, drop that, but then stick to 11 units, it will allow you to concentrate more.
not only that, apparently you cant do senior science with the actual sciences.

HSC
From what my friends said, he'd drop physics and pick up sensior science instread,and his basically loving it ^.^ apparently its just revision work from yr 11 bio, chem, and phy (well that wat he said) and not dissing the subject but heard from two people in two different school that most of the student that do senior science are kin of stoner, which mean that this subject is good for anyone bright, i mean i don't really understand the scalling stuff, but if you say got 100% in the test ur not going to be scale down right, anyway both my friends are really confident in the subject, and that they don't even have to spend lots of time (as for other science subject) and focusing more on math and english lol

omnipotent

HSC
I currently do Physics, Chem and Bio and am currently considering dropping chem for senior science.
The only reason I'm considering dropping chem is that I find it boring because the teacher is...well boring. I can't concentrate on the subject because of how boring it is.
Is senior science any better or should I just stick with chem. I'm confident that I would be able to rake in 90%+ in Senior Science.
...Just realised that i bumped a 3 months old thread

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
I currently do Physics, Chem and Bio and am currently considering dropping chem for senior science.
The only reason I'm considering dropping chem is that I find it boring because the teacher is...well boring. I can't concentrate on the subject because of how boring it is.
Is senior science any better or should I just stick with chem. I'm confident that I would be able to rake in 90%+ in Senior Science.
...Just realised that i bumped a 3 months old thread
You can't really do Senior Science with the other Sciences I am afraid to say. However, if you can be granted this; it is a very easy subject to memorise concepts and to study for. As even, an exchange student in our year was able to score quite highly in this course; ranking 3rd.

Btw- don't worry about posting in an old post as it saves having the moderator's valuable time spent on deleting multiple posts on the same topic.

Good luck, with what you finally decide!

omnipotent

HSC
You can't really do Senior Science with the other Sciences I am afraid to say.
Good luck, with what you finally decide!

That's what I thought too,but apparently that's only in Yr 11
In year 12 if you do 1 or more science subjects, apparently you can swap one of those for senior science if you find them difficult.

I'm currently ranked 2nd in Chemistry, and would probably still be ranked 2nd in Senior Science, although possibly with a higher mark.
In terms of scaling how bad is it compared to chemistry?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
That's what I thought too,but apparently that's only in Yr 11
In year 12 if you do 1 or more science subjects, apparently you can swap one of those for senior science if you find them difficult.

I'm currently ranked 2nd in Chemistry, and would probably still be ranked 2nd in Senior Science, although possibly with a higher mark.
In terms of scaling how bad is it compared to chemistry?
Senior Science scaling is much worse than General Math's scaling.

You're probably better off dropping chem all together or ignoring the teacher your chem class and teach yourself chem.

If you want more accurate advice, tell us your ranks and marks in all your current subjects :)

HSC
no way, dont take senior science

even if you can just pass a physics or chemistry exam as a raw mark, itll prob align to high band 4 - band 5, which would prob scale better than getting a really good mark in senior science

no way

HSC
Senior Science scaling is much worse than General Math's scaling.

You're probably better off dropping chem all together or ignoring the teacher your chem class and teach yourself chem.

If you want more accurate advice, tell us your ranks and marks in all your current subjects :)
+1
probably better to keep chem and learn the course with a tutor or some sort, if your teacher is really dodgy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)