Picking up senior science in year 12 (1 Viewer)

sodiumbromate

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble making a decision between keeping German Continuers or picking up Senior Science for the HSC. My subjects will be Maths ext. 1, Maths ext. 2, Eng. adv, Biology, Chemistry, German/SS (12 units). I do fairly well in science, being 2nd in Chem and top 10 in Bio, and my school is usually in the mid 10-20. For German, I'm in the middle of my class which is why I'm considering switching it out for SS.

I enjoy studying for my science subjects much more than German, but the thing that's holding me back is that I feel like German is my only distinguishing factor out of the other tens of thousands of students, especially as someone aspiring to enter Med. I do music on the side, but it's not incredibly impressive (grade 6 classical guitar & casual flute stuff in school band), and I've also basically quit playing my instruments. My science teachers are telling me that I can do German in Uni so that when it gets to the time of competing to enter a specialty, I might still be able to reap the benefits of being multilingual.

Next year is also the first time Senior Science will be implemented (although some of our teachers have taught it before), so I'm a bit unsure because of that as well. Hopefully you guys can tell me the ups and downs of the course. All advice is appreciated :)

Patbull

HSC
I picked up Senior Science in year 12 and currently do it as well as Physics. The course, although it having a fair decent amount of content is really straight forward and easy. The subject is quiet heavily chem and bio based which give you a large advantage. The only negative side is the scaling. Unless you get a band 6 its going to negatively impact your atar but with your science background i don't image you'll have much trouble with that. All in all I'd recommend the change, the course is pretty interesting and pretty easy.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Given that you're doing quite well in chemistry and biology, I'd suggest you pick up senior science. Thing is senior science scales crap so it's in your best interests that you do well so then you don't get scaled down (IMO 95+). Another thing you need to consider is when is senior science run, is it run before/after school or during school hours. This is a factor you'll need to consider before going into senior science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)