Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Senior Science or Chemistry?

HSC

Unhappy Senior Science or Chemistry?

Hey guys!

I've been pondering whether senior science would be better for me during year 12 as opposed to chemistry. I enjoy chemistry, but I really suck at it (50% average this year) and it really frustrates and stresses me out.

I believe if I did senior science I could get my desired results of a band 6 in physics, maths and biology for a good ATAR for uni (either a bachelor of genetics, biomedical science, engineering, or double degree in maths and physics). By the way, my subjects for year 12 would be 3U maths, biology, physics, chemistry (at the moment), standard english.

Would the work load be easier to handle in senior science compared to chemistry?

All thoughts welcome

HSC

Re: Senior Science or Chemistry?

Also, does anyone know if class ranks in year 11 are the same when you start year 12? So if I was 4th in biology, it wouldn't reset next term?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGuy99 View Post
    Also, does anyone know if class ranks in year 11 are the same when you start year 12? So if I was 4th in biology, it wouldn't reset next term?
    Obviously.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

TBH chemistry is really about whether or not you've learnt your basics or not. If you intend to do it in HSC, I'd suggest you revise thoroughly in the school holidays coming up because HSC is really the application of prelim concepts

IDK about senior science, but I looked into that stuff and they cover a bit of each topic in prelim phys, chem and bio. IMO it's boring because it's just bland theory

You should really look at the senior science syllabus and see whether or not this type of course is for you

Best of luck

HSC

Stick with chem and just work harder. Anything is possible if you commit to the cause
    I am rather fond of a sizeable Gluteus Maximus and I am incapable of uttering a falsehood

Quote Originally Posted by Carrotsticks View Post
    I too enjoy sliding up and down smooth vertical poles and creating lots of tension.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by DatAtarLyfe View Post
    Stick with chem and just work harder. Anything is possible if you commit to the cause
    +1

Chem scales higher and senior science scales crap. If you do intend to do senior science though, you need to do very well in it to compensate for the scaling

Also how come you're not doing 4U?
    helloimyellow likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    +1

Chem scales higher and senior science scales crap. If you do intend to do senior science though, you need to do very well in it to compensate for the scaling

Also how come you're not doing 4U?
    I think I could easily perform exceptionally well in senior science. I looked at the HSC exam and could probably do 50% of it now hahaha

I'm not getting good enough marks in extension, so the school won't make a class for me to do it

HSC

TBH chemistry is really about whether or not you've learnt your basics or not. If you intend to do it in HSC, I'd suggest you revise thoroughly in the school holidays coming up because HSC is really the application of prelim concepts

IDK about senior science, but I looked into that stuff and they cover a bit of each topic in prelim phys, chem and bio. IMO it's boring because it's just bland theory

You should really look at the senior science syllabus and see whether or not this type of course is for you

Best of luck
    All the teachers have said to really take a proper break these holidays going into year 12, so I don't want to spend it doing chemistry
    I looked at the syllabus and think it might be alright... Pretty basic, but I love theory stuff so it'd be nice I think, I don't know. Haha

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

I think I could easily perform exceptionally well in senior science. I looked at the HSC exam and could probably do 50% of it now hahaha

I'm not getting good enough marks in extension, so the school won't make a class for me to do it
    Oh okay. I suggest you pick up senior science next term while doing chem and see how you're going from there. If chem is still hard, then yeah drop it

Oh so you're results aren't as good as expected? Or are they not making a 4u class at your school?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

All the teachers have said to really take a proper break these holidays going into year 12, so I don't want to spend it doing chemistry
    I looked at the syllabus and think it might be alright... Pretty basic, but I love theory stuff so it'd be nice I think, I don't know. Haha
    Well I suggest do take a break and revise and/or study ahead if possible

Oh alright, if you love/like it then do it. I don't think there's much maths though

HSC

Oh okay. I suggest you pick up senior science next term while doing chem and see how you're going from there. If chem is still hard, then yeah drop it

Oh so you're results aren't as good as expected? Or are they not making a 4u class at your school?
    I can't do that unfortunately because I'm already doing 6 units of science and that's the max.

No one else in my year wants to do 4U, so seeing as I'm the only one and not getting good enough results, they're not making the class which sucks.

HSC

Well I suggest do take a break and revise and/or study ahead if possible

Oh alright, if you love/like it then do it. I don't think there's much maths though

The lack of maths would be unfortunate hahaha ;P

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

I can't do that unfortunately because I'm already doing 6 units of science and that's the max.

No one else in my year wants to do 4U, so seeing as I'm the only one and not getting good enough results, they're not making the class which sucks.
    Damm, that feels bad that they're not making a 4U maths class. Try doing it out of school (if possible)

Again that's bad that you can't do 4 sciences. You know what, look at the HSC chem content and compare it to the senior science content and see which one you think feels better. Since you're not intending to do a chem degree of some sort (??? is this true) then I don't think doing chem would matter at all (but in this case, beast senior science and try getting 95+ )

YEah like you said, lack of maths in senior science is bad, so if you want to do a mathematical science like physics or chem then I don't think you're in much luck atm sorry man

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

BTW scienceguy99 DON'T DROP TO ENGLISH STANDARD

Reason: It scales worse and it's harder to get a band 6. Only 1% of the state can get a band 6.

Also Advanced isn't that much more difficult than standard nor is the workload that much different

Here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au..._12_15130.html
    Last edited by eyeseeyou; 17 Sep 2016 at 11:29 PM.

HSC

BTW scienceguy99 DON'T DROP TO ENGLISH STANDARD

Reason: It scales worse and it's harder to get a band 6. Only 1% of the state can get a band 6.

Also Advanced isn't that much more difficult than standard nor is the workload that much different

Here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au..._12_15130.html
    You can't compare the 1% in standard because most of the smart people do advanced, that's why it has a higher percentage, so forget that. The main reason you wouldn't drop is the class.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    You can't compare the 1% in standard because most of the smart people do advanced, that's why it has a higher percentage, so forget that. The main reason you wouldn't drop is the class.
    Everyone I know regrets dropping to standard. Because they realise it's pretty much the same crap.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Okay, think of it like this: there are 20,000 kids in the state who do standard english, only 200 can get band 6-the top 200 students in NSW. There are approximately 600 schools that offer english standard (not including schools where advanced is compulsory). To get a band 6, you'll probably have to be ranked 1-3 in your school which IMO is harder than advanced because assuming there's 20,000 kids in NSW who do advanced, with a 10% band 6 success rate, 2000 kids can get a band 6. It's similar difficulty to advanced in that sense. TBH to get a band 6 at your school, you'll probably have to be ranked top 5-10% in your cohort IMO (depending on school rank)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Everyone I know regrets dropping to standard. Because they realise it's pretty much the same crap.
    Exactly, only difference is that in Advanced, they do shakespeare and Advanced scales much higher than Standard

Also Standard does pretty boring texts
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

Okay, think of it like this: there are 20,000 kids in the state who do standard english, only 200 can get band 6-the top 200 students in NSW. There are approximately 600 schools that offer english standard (not including schools where advanced is compulsory). To get a band 6, you'll probably have to be ranked 1-3 in your school which IMO is harder than advanced because assuming there's 20,000 kids in NSW who do advanced, with a 10% band 6 success rate, 2000 kids can get a band 6. It's similar difficulty to advanced in that sense. TBH to get a band 6 at your school, you'll probably have to be ranked top 5-10% in your cohort IMO (depending on school rank)

Exactly, only difference is that in Advanced, they do shakespeare and Advanced scales much higher than Standard

Also Standard does pretty boring texts
    lol every english text is boring xD

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Hey guys!

I've been pondering whether senior science would be better for me during year 12 as opposed to chemistry. I enjoy chemistry, but I really suck at it (50% average this year) and it really frustrates and stresses me out.

All thoughts welcome
    It is not a very good idea to switch subject midstream; you need to learn new stuff, much of which you'd have missed out first 3 terms. You should explore how you can improve your Chemistry.

Have you analysed why you are having problems with your Chemistry. Does your Chem teacher suck? (if many of your Chem cohort have no problems with it, then this is unlikely the case). Do you have a mind for subjects like Physics? Why have you not been performing in Chemistry? What part of the subject so far do you find difficult? Are you learning it "the right way" (whatever that may mean). Have you sought help from your teacher? Have you sought help from a tutor (if you can afford one)? Before replacing it with Senior Science, have another think over. Like many here, I don't know what so-called Senior Science is (may well be Junior Science)?

Edit
    Had a quick look at the Senior Science syllabus. Looks to me more like a science appreciation course.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 18 Sep 2016 at 12:07 PM.
    strawberrye likes this.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

lol every english text is boring xD
    IMO I liked Shakespeare

But standard do all these poems and Short Stories like Henry Lawson, like there's doesn't seem to be much literal and contextual meaning to it like how there is for Shakespeare

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Firstly it is the aligning not the scaling that differs between Advanced English and Standard English.

However I do agree that it is probably not a good idea to drop down from Advanced English to Standard English.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    N/A

Chemistry.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by laloola View Post
    I got told by some people that ranks are reset for year 12?
    Yes that is true

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Firstly it is the aligning not the scaling that differs between Advanced English and Standard English.

However I do agree that it is probably not a good idea to drop down from Advanced English to Standard English.
    Because it's harder to get a band 6 isn't it?

HSC

I did senior science this year... my teacher is absolutely awesome. Not to mention it was nice having a chilled out class that u can just relax in and absorb information. The course is also really short (not much in it) 10/10 enjoyed it. Prelim info not needed for the HSC topics. Theyre completely different.

That said, im only aiming for a 80+ Atar which is achievable in the position im in rn, but if u want that high 95+ atar then dont do senior science.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information