(Help!!) Dropping physics for senior science with regards to time management? (1 Viewer)

che_knee

HSC
Hi, so basically I've started year 12 this term and I've picked up 4 unit math, and planned to drop modern history and physics. The thing is that my school doesn't let you drop to 10 units if you're doing 4 unit incase you decide to drop out or something and the head of maths said that we might be able to go to 10 units, but only after 2 terms (start of term 2 2018) and with a lot of convincing.
Hence, I decided to drop modern history since I'm doing appallingly in it and keeping physics though my teacher has no idea how to do quite a few of the physics questions that we're given to do, needing my smart classmate to help him fgs. Because of this teacher (who's also very young and has almost no experience with teaching and also at quite a high performing school, rip), I've taken a hatred towards his classes and the subject since he makes the content so much harder to understand compared to the teaching of tutors and his classes now are an absolute bore since he'd probably given up tbh.

I feel that my weekly schedules gotten pretty full this term with tutoring classes for math and english and a much greater work load, would studying physics really be worth it? Since I'm doing quite badly in it (rank 45/70 in almost every exam), I'm sure it wouldn't be included as part of my atar, but on the slight chance that I back out on 4 unit...
I'm currently considering to switching to senior science since I'm completely out of it in my physics classes and at my school senior science works with only one 2 hour class afterschool, once a week and the 7 physics lessons a fortnight will be study periods. It also probably wouldn't be part of my atar. Would it be worth it? I have three, 4 unit classmates who have chosen senior science as a filler for their units, but I don't know if i should risk it.

Physics had also been that one subject that I've always wanted to do since year 8 and I was engrossed in it in before year 11, but upon getting this teacher, i can't stand it, nor do i understand it. I also tried my absolute hardest in the first two topics in year 11 for the world communicates which i had been tutored for and electricity, but still got a terrible ranking, so perhaps I'm just extremely bad at physics naturally or something :(
also i do biology and really enjoy it (amazing teacher too)

So, stick to physics (and maybe waste time but perhaps learn a helpful thing or two) OR change to senior science and get more study periods...

Last edited:

dgt20

HSC
Hi, so basically I've started year 12 this term and I've picked up 4 unit math, and planned to drop modern history and physics. The thing is that my school doesn't let you drop to 10 units if you're doing 4 unit incase you decide to drop out or something and the head of maths said that we might be able to go to 10 units, but only after 2 terms (start of term 2 2018) and with a lot of convincing.
Hence, I decided to drop modern history since I'm doing appallingly in it and keeping physics though my teacher has no idea how to do quite a few of the physics questions that we're given to do, needing my smart classmate to help him fgs. Because of this teacher (who's also very young and has almost no experience with teaching and also at quite a high performing school, rip), I've taken a hatred towards his classes and the subject since he makes the content so much harder to understand compared to the teaching of tutors and his classes now are an absolute bore since he'd probably given up tbh.

I feel that my weekly schedules gotten pretty full this term with tutoring classes for math and english and a much greater work load, would studying physics really be worth it? Since I'm doing quite badly in it (rank 45/70 in almost every exam), I'm sure it wouldn't be included as part of my atar, but on the slight chance that I back out on 4 unit...
I'm currently considering to switching to senior science since I'm completely out of it in my physics classes and at my school senior science works with only one 2 hour class afterschool, once a week and the 7 physics lessons a fortnight will be study periods. It also probably wouldn't be part of my atar. Would it be worth it? I have three, 4 unit classmates who have chosen senior science as a filler for their units, but I don't know if i should risk it.

Physics had also been that one subject that I've always wanted to do since year 8 and I was engrossed in it in before year 11, but upon getting this teacher, i can't stand it, nor do i understand it. I also tried my absolute hardest in the first two topics in year 11 for the world communicates which i had been tutored for and electricity, but still got a terrible ranking, so perhaps I'm just extremely bad at physics naturally or something :(
also i do biology and really enjoy it (amazing teacher too)

So, stick to physics (and maybe waste time but perhaps learn a helpful thing or two) OR change to senior science and get more study periods...
pretty sure you can talk to your student services or whatever you call it at your school and request to change your physics teacher if it is really affecting you. I know i did that for maths and now im in a class with a different teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)