speech for dux..need help!!! (1 Viewer)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
hey everyone
i got a call today..yes today..a sunday..wats with that?..
from my year advisor telling me i have to make a speech for dux
ok i have only even done this speech last year but it was like a 'wow, this is great, thanx to all the teachers and students.. seeya' (in a nutshell)
i need ur help
if u are dux or if you hav been dux what are you writing/what did u write?
if u know someone who is dux or was dux what are are they writing/what did they write?
i was told to make it 'special' and it has to go for 10mins
what to do?
plz i appreciate any help..i hav an absolute mindblock and i hav to show him at the end of this week cause our graduation is week after!!
thanx again ppl
catch yas

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
start off with the quote from Isaac Newton:
"If I have been able to see further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"
and then link the 'giants' bit to all the support and warmth that the teachers and your peers have given you...

*rave* on for 10mins+...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
congrats with it...
who cares wot u say ...
u got dux just say "haha i beat u all !"

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
heh i could...if fact i will!!!
heh nah.. i wanna make it good.. that quote frigid was a good one.. hmm..nice beginning..and now for the rest of it :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
start off with the quote from Isaac Newton:

and then link the 'giants' bit to all the support and warmth that the teachers and your peers have given you...

*rave* on for 10mins+...

preparing yours already bitch? :D

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
there will probably be 50 schools now who's graduation speeches start with isaac newton.
but it is a nice quote...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Dux at our school doesn't get to make a speech.... our principal does all the raving.

Talk about how people have helped you and give some advice to those pesky yr 11's.... perhaps you should break in to tears then you would have to talk less....be sure to thank God and other random people such as Nicole Kidman and Britney Spears... then people will talk about your speech for a long time trying to figure out why you thanked those people!!!!

Also, hug your school principal at one stage of the speech lol.

snow bum

Banned
Dux doesn't speak at my school, the only student that does is the school capt.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
how come u've got ur speech night so soon? ours is done like next year, and they also take into account your external results as well i think, which is prbly why.

same snowbum, only like capt, principal, guest speaker make speeches - dux gets his plate, smiles, then walks off stage

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
making a dux speech is hard because you have to find the balance between not being too up yourself (and hence pissing everyone off), and not being too modest either (which would also serve to piss people off). also, i think the newton quote is a bit corny. just go thank a few people, your parents, god (if ur religious), teachers, principal, peers, praise the school, and wish everyone the best of luck for their exams. oh yeah, and say that you feel very privileged to accept the award and count yourself amongst the prestigious list of elite duxes before you, but also mention that you think there are others who could easily have deserved dux also (unless of course you kicked everyone's ass by a mile). i admit though, the above is a bit cliche and someone else can prbly come up with something a lot more interesting and different

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I rule this school... you all drool... thread comes on spools and I am so cool.

Perhaps not.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'd give a lengthy inspirational rambling about the personal 'Triumph Of The Will' involved in becoming Dux. Acknowledge those who have helped you in the process, and don't be afraid to use quotes to inspire those in front of you.

Luckily, we don't have a Dux speech at my school. Instead, we have the eloquently challenged school captains speaking.. *Sigh*

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
The question is-do you want to make your teachers happy, or the students?
Teachers=20 mins speech, filled with quotes, metaphors, and general ravings about the brilliant support from teachers, and how your school is the best ever.
Students=2 min speech (so people can get out earlier) saying...well, it doesn't matter, cos lets face it-students probably won't listen anyway.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
This is kinda ironic... the dux of the school asking other people how to write/say a speech...

ummm i would just reflect on your education and the great teachers/times u had at your school...

and at then end say "Let the textbook be with you :p

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
say something funny...i had to do a speech once about 'academic achievements' lol. my how speech was basically quoting stats about competitions and shit, but i said one thing which totally made everyone in the hall crack up (it was only a year assembly but, and i feel bad cos basically i made fun of one guy in our year), and everyone remembered that. so yeah, if u want to make it a memorable speech, say something funny...but try to not do it at the expense of someone else (esp not a teacher)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i had to do a speech for dux of year 11 last year..it was only short, around 4-5 minutes. Mainly i spoke about goals and the people that had inspired me to strive for my goals , thanked a few people and that was it. my best friend helped me write it, and then i read some of the speech again at her funeral a few weeks later so i don't really have fond memories of that speech.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
charles-i-like-to-chuck-psychos-qin
for some reason that was funny back in yr 10

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah u just have to make it short and funny, dont drag on and say lots of crap, lave it up to your teachers and principals

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Dux at our school doesn't get to make a speech.... our principal does all the raving.
same

well if u can add some humour. remember all the poor young'uns who will have to listen 2 a 10 min speech

but i like frigid's idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)