selective schools for my sister? help me (1 Viewer)

OMGRX7

HSC
hello my younger sister is eligible for selective school but like my dad dont know which school he would like her to send to. the schools he choose which was closer to fairfield was;
Girraween High School
Hurlstone Agricultural High school
St geroge girls high school
sydneys girls high school

well can like anyone tell me their ranks or something about their school, i dont know nothing about selective but all i know is james ruse is #1. :haha:

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Yeh i live in the fairfield area and go to Hurlstone Agriculture which is like rank #29 or something. Some other choices may be

Sefton rank #28 last year i think
Sydney Girls #somewhere top 15
North Sydney Girls #top 10
Baulkum Hill which is pretty close to James Ruse #rank 2 and 1 respectively in the past years
Girraween #top 30
Macquarie Fields #top 200 -_-

Considering you live in fairfield the closest school would be sefton, but that if you are only driving. I go hurlstone which i bored from Fairfield station which takes me there in about 20 minutes. The school is basically next to the train station, so no need for buses. Schools like Giraween, sefton, mac fields would require train and bus from your area. Not sure about the north sydney region thou :S

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Don't base your decisions on ranks. Think about social life, sporting oppurtunities, location and reputation, most importantly.

PrettyVacant

HSC
I hear North Sydney Girls is pretty good with their musical and sporting pursuits, as well as their high standards of academia and of course, their excellent reputation.
We're also not very competitive.
So please, join us. :)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I'd say Sydney girls, for all around achievement etc and the fact that they place emphasis on co-cirricular activities, not just study.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Don't go to a crappy selective school such as SSC Leichhardt ... You're better off going to a reputable mainstream school.
The bottom line is, either go to a very good one e.g Baulkham Hills High or just a good mainstream school.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
OMGRX7 said:
hello my younger sister is eligible for selective school but like my dad dont know which school he would like her to send to. the schools he choose which was closer to fairfield was;
Girraween High School
Hurlstone Agricultural High school
St geroge girls high school
sydneys girls high school

well can like anyone tell me their ranks or something about their school, i dont know nothing about selective but all i know is james ruse is #1. :haha:
distance-wise, hurlstone is closest to fairfield. the rest are pretty far.
whether or not she'd like to go to a single-sex school or co-ed is also another thing you should consider.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree. Unless you're going to go to a good selective high, then stick to a school nearby... the extra long travelling times may not be worth it and your sister might end up hating the whole waking up early and travelling great distances.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
Baulkham Hills high ftw.
Agreed.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
hahahhahah

Stay away from Macquarie Fields. I've heard some dodgy stories...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
PrettyVacant said:
I hear North Sydney Girls is pretty good with their musical and sporting pursuits, as well as their high standards of academia and of course, their excellent reputation.
We're also not very competitive.
So please, join us. :)

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
LottoX said:
North Sydney Girls'? I hear as soon as you go there your breasts become flat forever.
uh, ok.

And after the girls are used to a little whining and bitching from other girls in an all girls school for 6 hours a day, their attraction to guys increase.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
How far away your high school is important. I used to live in the eastern suburbs and went to James Ruse. I travelled for five hours everyday. I was always tired.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
Come to think of it, reputation is not so important either. Best thing to do is actually goto the school and find out a bit about their school culture and see how it fits your sister's personality.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yep, my uni friend finished at James Ruse last year and travelled at least 2 hours each way since she lives on the North Shore--bus to Epping, train up to Hornsby, train down to Chatswood, and then bus and then walk home. So distance is also important. But of course, huangker's advice still stands--see what school fits your sister, and what realistically she's likely to get into (unless of course she's good enough to go to every school, in which case it really is a matter of personal preference).

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
If you had a brother instead of sister, then the natural choice would of course be The Sydney High School.

jessdoit

HSC
I think your sister should go to Sydney Girls High School.
Not that I go there, but it'll be better for her academically and it's not like she won't fit into the other schools... Like her social life will be fine no matter what school she goes to! The biggest issue for your sister would be the distance to travel I guess... And from Fairfield to Central... That's not so bad. My best friend goes from Villawood (near Fairfield) to North Sydney and I mean your sister can learn to utilise that time by reading or just sitting and listening to music...

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
There's no hish school with that name, the closest that that I've heard of is Sydney Boys' High School, but you cant be talking about that school...
But of course I am!
The Sydney High School=GPS, traditional name.
Sydney Boys High= Politically correct (and to distinguish ourselves from Sydney Girls.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)