School Captains! (1 Viewer)

tasha55005500

HSC
Heyyyy just wondering what other school captains and stuff are planning to do for their schoool next year??/

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I'm not a school captain but I want the school to have those Christmas trees where people come and place presents under for charities.

Oh, and those recycling boxes made of cardboard, there's so much paper going in the trash it's sad.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
^ more rubbish bins?

alternatively, harsher punishments for the offenders.

cambo'sfinest07

HSC
I'm a school captain for 2007 and were working on our school canteen to make it better and to work on the bullying policy in the younger ages and go the primary schools to start with the really young ages!!!

CAMBO'5 F1N35T 07
xoxox

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
in my opinio, all those plans to renew bullying policy and stop the racism, those sort of things student leaders simply cannot do much about. you can go on and on about it, but in the end, what power do you really have to stop your peers from being a bully or a racist? if you start a campaign against it, hardly anyone will respond. that's the sad reality

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
We have prefects, and all they do is give out detention:)

talica

HSC
I'm School Captain this year, and we have plans to organise equal funding for all departments at my school [ well its an SRC project but I'm in the SRC so that kind of semi counts? :/ ] Because they mainly offer spare money to The P.E faculty when Drama & Arts suffers! To think of you're question, I don't know what to improve..probably less graffiting..and no juniors in the Senior quad!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
errr firstly, you need to work on your spelling, ms school capt. secondly, do you actually think that the principal needs YOU to tell him where to throw money at? one thing i've learnt as a prefect, is that you DO NOT tell your teachers, especially principals what to do, it only invites trouble. you may make suggestions, but only when they ask for them.

i think in most cases, school capt, prefects and src are only there as a formality - showbiz, if you like. sure they do a bit to help out the school, but does that deserve a badge of honour? ask yourselves, how many times have you seen your school leaders listened to what you say and have done something about it. either they could not because it involves money, or they just did not care.

anyone disagrees feel free to say something.

ivanie

HSC
Seriously what the fuck do school captains / student rep. council / prefects even do.

They don't put forward any REAL suggestions that affect the students FROM the students... The teachers always have last say with these things, students dont get much say in the institution known as school.

They're a waste of time to see get badges and nobody likes them, fuckin' nerds.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
ivanie said:
Seriously what the fuck do school captains / student rep. council / prefects even do.

They don't put forward any REAL suggestions that affect the students FROM the students... The teachers always have last say with these things, students dont get much say in the institution known as school.

You're an idiot. It's people like you who will ultimately fail at life because they have no aspirations.

Although I do agree that the teachers have more say in terms of what happens.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ivanie said:

wow easy now, prefects and school reps are not all nerds, and you couldn't be more wrong about the 'nobody likes them' bit, how do they get elected in the first place if they are not popular? sympathy votes? i don't think so man.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
And to add, one of my school captains is a screamer for a metal band. Not exactly nerdy if you ask me.

Sofstar

HSC
Yeah, not all prefects/captains are nerds. Prefects haven't been selected yet, kinda weird. We have to 'earn' it.
This year there is a focus on more what students want and what we want in assemblies.

rhcpfox1

HSC
Im a School Captain (down in Vic), and we're actually looking like accomplishing something this year.
A year 12 group has started a 'green' initiative to get some of our buildings running on solar power and getting water tanks installed etc.

Just got the green light from School Council tonight,
getting quotes organised and contacting all relevant government departments regarding funding for the project.

So being a school captain DOES involve some work.

...but the badges are totally worth it...

PS. Does anyone have any ideas/experiences dealing with solar power at their school...or is mighty Upwey High (MASSIVE LOL) a pioneer of sorts? Love to hear thoughts.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
mate, sorry to tell you, but solar power does (again) costs a lot of money and it is not very efficient. i'll give you an example. my school at inner west sydney installed 5 solar power panels over the winter, so that it can come into operation during summer time. the solar panels costed the govt (because it was a funded program) about $15k, so you'd think it got to be worth the investment, right? wrong. even on a sunny day at about 1pm, the solar panel can only generate enough power to power a room of 15 computers and... that's about it. it was a complete waste of money, where we could of used that to get some new tv.

i recommend something that does not involve money, better still, MAKES money.

morganforrest

HSC
Hey I'm a school captain on South Coast of NSW and am pretty into the whole green power thing. But as wuddie said, its incredibly expensive. Instead I've lobbied my principal and got him to get the school to buy green power from their energy company (if all your homes aren't on green power already they should be!!!)

And secondly, School Captains are rearely, if ever nerds. Maybe at James Ruse or something, but in most schools they're popularly elected. And following on from that, it is solely the responsibility of the captain in question as to what they achieve. You just want to wear a badge and not do anything, don't be surprised when teachers tell you where to stick it. But if you take your job seriously and try to balance representing the interests of the students and interests of the teachers you can achieve an enormous amount. Anyone who comes on who is a prefect, forget what the other blinkered fools are saying and run with whatever vision you have. Don't waste the year. You want to get to the end of the year, look back and go "Yeah, i actually achieved something." Get some vision people!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)