Who's doing year 12 again? (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
This will be me. When the results come out I know my uai will be in the 80s (way off what I need for my degree). Has anyone out there done it again-can anyone give me some advice? I would have to start yr 12 again in Feb-which means I've "missed" a term. My parents arent taking my decision well :(.... And so the world turns......

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Hmm 80s is by no means a low UAI. You are better off getting into a uni course and doing that then transfering if possible. Most people that repeat don't do as well as they did the first time. Also once you redo the HSC whatever you get the 2nd time around that's what will count.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
umm are you absolutely sure your uai will be in the 80's? you've only done one term, you know you can improve miles from here...

kloudsurfer

HSC
Uh, you do realize you have only done one term? How can you know what mark you are going to get. Like the above poster said, you can improve. So far you've had, what, an assessment for each subject??!?!? And you already think you are going to get 80. Why don't you work harder? I makes a lot more sense than repeating.

No offense, but i think its pointless.

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Uh, you do realize you have only done one term? How can you know what mark you are going to get. Like the above poster said, you can improve. So far you've had, what, an assessment for each subject??!?!? And you already think you are going to get 80. Why don't you work harder? I makes a lot more sense than repeating.

No offense, but i think its pointless.

lol. No my profiles wrong-sorry-I did the hsc THIS year(2006). I know my UAI will be in the 80s regardless...Its quite depressing actually

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hannahxxx said:
lol. No my profiles wrong-sorry-I did the hsc THIS year(2006). I know my UAI will be in the 80s regardless...Its quite depressing actually
oh ok. well dont make your decision until you actually have your uai. what uai do you need, could i ask? coz if you get like 89 or something you could probably find some alternative pathway into uni which will be a lot better in the long run than completely redoing your hsc, because you'll actually be at uni, even if it takes you a little longer to get into your course.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I don't know how you can be so certain, don't tell me SAM or your school gave you that estimate as that is just an estimate and isn't a true reflect of what your marks will be. SAM is most efficient with your HSC marks which are released on Tuesday.

Surely you applied for courses with a range of UAIs that are even 80 and below, I am sure there is a course that you like for lower.

As brogan said repeating will be the worse mistakes unless you are extremely focused you will more then likely waste a year and do worse.

Plenty of other paths into uni as described.

You absolutely can't be certain you are merely assuming\estimating and guess wait until you receive your UAI on Wednesday then you will be 100% certain. Then make sure you look at all options and repeat as only an absolute last choice as it certainly isn’t the best option.

vg_woz_here

HSC
you are a freak. who in their right minds would want to repeat yr12 again. youve only done 1 term of it. As the year progresses....and you finish your hsc...then you would definately not want to go through the yr12 process AGAIN. trust me....

There are other ways of getting into your desired uni course. And its not the end of the bloody world!

samerin

HSC
just take into consideratin one thing...its up to you to pass or fail...no one can tell you what to do even if you fail or pass...aim for pass since repeating year 12 would be like going to primary school again!

P

pLuvia

There are other ways of getting your desired course one way is by doing a lower UAI course, do well in it then tranfer etc. By the way what course do you intend on doing?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
hannahxxx said:
This will be me. When the results come out I know my uai will be in the 80s (way off what I need for my degree). Has anyone out there done it again-can anyone give me some advice? I would have to start yr 12 again in Feb-which means I've "missed" a term. My parents arent taking my decision well :(.... And so the world turns......
Trust me when I say, do NOT repeat!

I did Pathways so I did my HSC over 2 years, so technically I guess its a little like repeating Year 12 in many ways. You really do not want to put yourself through 2 full years of the HSC when you have other options open to you. You just get over the HSC after a while, and it then becomes VERY hard to motivate yourself. It was okay I guess for me, because I was doing new courses so it wasn't hard to stay motivated, but I'd imagine it would be really hard for you since you'll have done the work already and will get bored easily. It will feel like a step going backwards, rather than forwards.

It wont be easy going back to school either, because I assume you've gone through all the "omg I'm never going back!" emotions along with your friends. I missed the first term of Year 12 fourth term last year as well, and although it would be easier for you because you have done the work before, you'll still have to make up the assessments and work you've missed - it's not easy!

A UAI in the 80's isn't bad at all. If its not what you need for your course, look at other options such as going into a course that has a lower cut off and transferring after a year. So much better than repeating!

Plus, Like others have said, if you end up going worse in a course, you'll be stuck with that mark and possibly a lower UAI... then you'll just regret wasting a year of your life..

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
oh ok. well dont make your decision until you actually have your uai. what uai do you need, could i ask? coz if you get like 89 or something you could probably find some alternative pathway into uni which will be a lot better in the long run than completely redoing your hsc, because you'll actually be at uni, even if it takes you a little longer to get into your course.
Um I need a 95+ UAI for law at ANU(which is where I've always wanted to go). Problem is even with a high distinction average at uni, it would still be hard to transfer with a UAI in the 80's, cause the trasnfer eligibility is 50/50 course grades and UAI. I don't want to finish a law degree at a uni i didn't want to go to, then look back and think "I could have just gone back to school and got a better UAI-it would only have taken three terms". Big law firms often look to the best uni's(with the higher UAIs) when hiring-its an indisputable fact, unfortunately :(.

If I did the HSC again, I'd only redo 8 units, and not redo ext 1 and 2 english. I could get a job to save to go to ANU in canberra in 2008. I could also get my Ps. In short I'd be able to spend another yr with my family b4 going away. I've always found maths,legal and eco really interesting-there's enough going on in the media about legal and eco to keep me focussed on my subjects.

P

pLuvia

Considering your situation right now, maybe your career choice isn't right and as you saying that you will get in the 80s for your uai might mean your goal (of 95+) is not realistic enough. And who knows your prediction might be way off :p

I mean if you are going to be passionate about doing law, and not wanting it for the money or whatever and you are willing to put another year of the HSC to get a better uai then go for it, but many people have warned you, if you are not able to achieve your 95+ uai aim what are you going to do? You can also think about this situation now.

Anyway good luck with whatever your choice is :D

The Agent

HSC
If you're hell bent on not going to university next year, don't go back to school.

If you want to do a schoolish type thing, go to TAFE and do the Tertiary Preparation Certificate instead.

While doing it, you might realise you don't want to do LAW. I can assure you that Law is quite boring.

And ANU isn't the be all and end all. If you really want to do LAW, you can do just as well going to Macquarie University.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
Um I need a 95+ UAI for law at ANU(which is where I've always wanted to go). Problem is even with a high distinction average at uni, it would still be hard to transfer with a UAI in the 80's, cause the trasnfer eligibility is 50/50 course grades and UAI. I don't want to finish a law degree at a uni i didn't want to go to, then look back and think "I could have just gone back to school and got a better UAI-it would only have taken three terms". Big law firms often look to the best uni's(with the higher UAIs) when hiring-its an indisputable fact, unfortunately :(.
It should be quite apparent that a law firm isn't going to look at the uai cut-off of your course to decide whether you get the job or not, so I wouldn't fuss so much about that. If anything the cut-offs indicate popularity, not quality of education.

Another important thing to remember is that graduate law is always there as an option - it can be done after any bachelor degree at any university and you would lose less time than you would if you repeated. You could even get into law at a university such as UNSW or USYD, which has astronomical cut-offs for undergraduates if the cut-off is still important to you.

Repeating your HSC is also somewhat of a gamble because, regardless of whether you do better or not, you still need to make an increase of over 15 points on what you presume your UAI to be. If you don't increase by that amount you'll be right here making this same decision again in next year.

You should also look at this guide for more (and perhaps better suited) pathways into university degrees.

I'd also like to echo the concern raised that your UAI estimate could be way off - these things aren't always easy to predict. For example both SAM and JUAI were approximately 10 points out in their predictions, despite using my final results, so don't make too many presumptions about what your UAI will be.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
I thought a teacher's input mght be useful for you in your considerations. There is no shame in repeating Year 12 but there are a few options. Many students have repeated and it is to their credit that they do.Dont rush into it yet and think it through carefully. If you want some ideas and /or advice from a teacher who has dealt with this issue before please send an email to pamandian@iinet.net.au along with your own private email address and I will make some suggestions that you might like to consider first.

zizou10-5

HSC
hey i want to repeat yr 11, what do u guys think of dat, bcos i wasn't hppy with my subject choices? Parents pushed me a bit n i did it for hsc one term, i don't like studying what i don't enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)