Naturally smart (1 Viewer)

TastesGoodBut

Is anyone here naturally smart like myself?

you see.. i do really minimal study and get pretty good marks overall... they arent great but they are well above average most of the time... and im sure if i was actually ocmmitted heavily i could get 99+ but its not going to happen

and theres those ppl that work there arse and i still beat them.. i feel sorry for them sometimes...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Well it does sound like you're a little sure of yourself....

I can't say that I ever find any of the work we do hard, whereas some people have real problems with concepts in many subjects, however I am lazy as all hell and don't take enough time to revise and actually keep it in my head.

If I had been taught and encouraged to study from a young age I probably could have been one of the 98-99 people but Im lazy by my own admittance.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
Is anyone here naturally smart like myself?

you see.. i do really minimal study and get pretty good marks overall... they arent great but they are well above average most of the time... and im sure if i was actually ocmmitted heavily i could get 99+ but its not going to happen

and theres those ppl that work there arse and i still beat them.. i feel sorry for them sometimes...
ye, im abit like that. i havent been studying much yet i dont fail. and all those people that have been going to tutoring since year 7 and i still beat them, especially in our school.

Rahul

Dead Member
it depends on what you define as smartness.

you cant be naturally smart....being smart, personally, is being close to your own intellectual peak, which you cant reach without hard work.

you cant compare yourself to be smarter than others coz you are beating them. they might be already performing at their peak....so maybe they are the smarter ones.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
it depends on what you define as smartness.

you cant be naturally smart....being smart, personally, is being close to your own intellectual peak, which you cant reach without hard work.

you cant compare yourself to be smarter than others coz you are beating them. they might be already performing at their peak....so maybe they are the smarter ones.
are you tryin' to defend yourself rahul?:p (joking ;) )

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I also believe you can't be naturally smart.

There has to be a time you learned it otherwise I don't get where you get your knowledge from. You can't just be smart. You have to study. I won't believe anyone saying they passed without doing anything. And by anything i mean anything!

Perhaps your technique of study when you do study is better hence learning faster and easier than others which all relate to your environment and past experience.

Winston

HSC
i am one as well, you see i think people have re-defined the term smart, but have you ever realised that there are three form of intelligent people

a) one who studies their bu off and in return gets the result of hard work.

b) a person who doesn't study at all and achieves extremely well, these are the people let's say have interests in most subjects, for example i totally suck at every subject but i'm good with computing because i like it thus i do no study and achieve good in it, while my friend who loves space related stuff isn't a genius at maths, but he's a genius at Physics, because he likes all that science stuff.

c) gifted people who has photographic memory and learns really quick.

So i can conclude to say that if you really don't have interest in the subject areas, and really expect to be like the people who actually don't study and achieve good, that will be hard, unless you are purely naturally smart as.

is a roflcopter
HSC
im just a serial cheater/plagiarist so i really cant say....... :p

Bepps

I think that school comes more naturally to some people than others, and that "naturally smart" in this context just means that you are able to retain school work without as much effort.
I also think that almost anyone can get high 90's with enough effort. Emphasis on the 'almost' though!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I also believe you can't be naturally smart.
There has to be a time you learned it otherwise I don't get where you get your knowledge from. You can't just be smart.
I think we're referring to the ability to go over work once and not have trouble grasping the concepts, whereas many people have to really work to understand things.

Son_e_boy

I agree there, being smart is not about how much you know.

There is a big difference between being smart and being educated. Some people can pick things up really easy and understand it by just reading over once. I'd say this is smart.

Everyone can be educated, but not everyone is smart. If you get my drift.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Son_e_boy

There is a big difference between being smart and being educated. Some people can pick things up really easy and understand it by just reading over once. I'd say this is smart.

yeah, true, thats why u find ppl, who r comming first at their skool, going crap in iq tests (such a umat)...because there is a difference.

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
I find that i am not naturally smart, but i can see patterns. For instance with words, if they sound similar, their meanings are probably similar aswell.

I'm also interested in logic and so i can understand the concepts in subjects such as physics and maths.

I think because of these two things i am naturally smart, because i do well with like ZERO study. i also have a pretty good memory (i usually point out things that other people dont remember) but i use that mostly to remember witty quotes from TV shows and movies :D

Whether these things will help me in the HSC i cant say (they will prolly be a hindrance) but since the HSC isnt an IQ test, nor does it judge us on intelligence or wisdom (mayb not wisdom but abstract thinking), the two traits that are the foundation of the IQ test, then i personally have come to the conclusion that the HSC and the UAI u get are not a way to determine how well you will do whatever you plan on doing later on in light. in this respect i am more inclined to agree with Winston in saying that you will do well if you are interested in what you do.

So fuck the UAI, HSC and the BoS and do what you love :D...its guaranteed to work

-Disclaimer
This is not a guarantee :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
that's interesting but i like it
Originally posted by Ragerunner
There has to be a time you learned it otherwise I don't get where you get your knowledge from. You can't just be smart. You have to study. I won't believe anyone saying they passed without doing anything. And by anything i mean anything!
don't you hate it when people say they haven't touched a book, and then you're going through something in class and they go "oh yeah, i was reading through that yesterday"
Originally posted by Son_e_boy

i say being smart is having the common sense. some of the smartest people i know didn't even do the hsc. they just have the common sense and logic which is necessary in everyday life, to. they can work out solutions to so many problems. they are smarter than all of us who are memorising our textbooks.

Giant Lobster

HSC
I'm probably smart but I have terrible self esteem / self confidence to the point where i feel i need to study my ass off. but in jnr years it was fun beating ppl who study. :D

but then again i bet heaps of ppl r 'smart'.
ultimately its irrelevant cos the hsc is designed in a way that allows hard work to compensate for (in)competence so in the end its like how much u put in i guess.

picaresque

HSC
I find this whole topic vaguely amusing.

Personally, I never really bothered to work much in my junior years - studying was definitely a foreign concept, along with homework. The fact that I was still doing pretty well doesn't make me 'naturally smart'. If anything, it makes me 'naturally dumb', since I was just wasting my time and my own potential.

But each to their own, I suppose.

And sure, some people learn faster than others - they understand and absorb information with little effort. You can be a natural and still hardworking. Or you could be 'smart' and a slacker - which pretty much still makes you an idiot.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by picaresque
To be honest, I find people who like to run around telling everyone else how lazy they are, or how much work they haven't done, tossers. Most people procrastinate in their own ways and you reap what you sow - ie. you fail to fulfill your own potential. There's no need to make sure everyone else knows that you could actually be doing better and you're just not.
i agree, most people who say the amount of work they haven't done (well they have done some but obviously not hrs and hrs) have not reached their potential this year. i know that for a fact

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)