Not going to the formal? (1 Viewer)

missjohns

HSC
Is there anyone who's decided they don't want to go to their formal? And I'm not talking just because you might have something else that day. I mean just not wanting to go.

For me, people don't normally talk to me at school anyway. I'd just be there alone, feeling self-conscious in a dress all night. It might sound dumb, but whatever. And I hate people telling me why I should go. I'm yet to hear a good enough reason to make me want to attend.

I'm interested - if there are other people who've decided on not going, what are your reasons?

Last edited:

zaqwerty

HSC
Year 10 formal was awesome for me, and people say that Year 12 is even better.

Then again, they said Year 12 retreat is better than Year 11, and I thought the opposite, so who knows.

It's a personal choice and I'm not against people choosing not to go, I think I'd just feel really left out.

Legham

HSC
If its anything like the year 10 formal, i dont wanna go. But, can't really have an afterparty if it's not after anything.. right? It'll probably be boring, but oh well..

HSC
yeah, fuck not going to the formal. Even though it is the afterparty that everyone really cares about. :p

marthastuart

HSC
I'm not going because:
1 - It's going to cost $190.00
2 - The music is ALWAYS horrible.
3 - People just get drunk, which you can do at home.
4 - It's never anything amazing in Australia, sure it's fun but it's really no more different than having a big drinking party, without the clean up.

missjohns

HSC
IceOnFire said:
Formal may be the last time you will see everyone. :(
That's one of the many reasons people always tell me I should go. I don't like the people in my grade, I don't care if I never see them again. I must sound really bitter. But I'm just really anti-social, and...yeah. Don't care about seeing everyone once more at the formal.

HSC
missjohns said:
I don't like the people in my grade, I don't care if I never see them again.
I feel the same, with the majority of people in my grade. :uhhuh:

Although, I'm still going to the formal, because [size=-2]I don't have anything better to do. [/size] :eek:

I also don't tend to wear dresses... but I'll cope.

IceOnFire

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
I also don't tend to wear dresses... but I'll cope.
I am sure you will look great in a dress. :)

chocolate_lover said:
Although, I'm still going to the formal, because I don't have anything better to do.
That's the attitude!

missjohns

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Although, I'm still going to the formal, because [SIZE=-2]I don't have anything better to do. [/SIZE] :eek:
I consider being at home on the computer something way better to do. Haha.

Dave2007

HSC
I don't really like formals (uncomfortable clothes, dont dance etc...)

but i probably will go because nothing better on, last time to sort of see everyone, and its something youll probably think back on for a long while (Whether its good or bad, its a pretty significant event).

white ferret

HSC
missjohns said:
Is there anyone who's decided they don't want to go to their formal? And I'm not talking just because you might have something else that day. I mean just not wanting to go.

For me, people don't normally talk to me at school anyway. I'd just be there alone, feeling self-conscious in a dress all night. It might sound dumb, but whatever. And I hate people telling me why I should go. I'm yet to hear a good enough reason to make me want to attend.

I'm interested - if there are other people who've decided on not going, what are your reasons?
did u go to any of your another formals? if u didnt, i suggest just go for the experience. it's going to be your last one anyway. i must admit though, formals are slightly overrated, but just spend the night with your friends, take tons of photos, and dance the night away.

goosiegoo

HSC
I'm going to my grad/formal. I like them... i enjoy dressing up, and it'll pretty much be me sitting around with my friends being stupid and taking photos. A.k.a. a normal day, but in fancy dress. :D

Last edited:

dukey

HSC
I didn't go to my year 10 formal :p

Long story!!

But I had fun nonetheless :D

It's not the end of the world if you don't go though I think you should go to your year 12 one. The atmosphere should be awesome hehe

wagga

HSC
I went to mine, it was pretty average, the food and music were shit. I would have much rather just gone clubbing with mates, which would have been heaps cheaper, and better music.

missjohns

HSC
white ferret said:
did u go to any of your another formals? if u didnt, i suggest just go for the experience. it's going to be your last one anyway. i must admit though, formals are slightly overrated, but just spend the night with your friends, take tons of photos, and dance the night away.
I did go to the Year 10 one. It was better than I expected, but I still would have preferred not going. I spent the night with just one of my friends, he was pretty much the only person who talked to me the whole night. Plus I was the only girl wearing a skirt, since I refused to wear a dress. (I also dislike skirts, but they're better than a dress.)

Last edited:

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Well if you dont want to attend your formal because you dont really talk to anyone in your school then its probably a better idea not to go. If you go to it, chances are you would waste your money and your time and you would come home feeling disappointed. Formals are for hanging out with your school friends and it would be pointless to go if youre not really going to communicate to them. Its not like all of a sudden, on that particular night theyre going to be nice and friendly to you so it wouldnt matter if youre not going to see them again. I personally didnt attend my yr12 formal last year due to similar reasons to yours and its wasnt really a big deal anyway. Ive noticed that people dont usually mention about formals once theyre over. Youve got only a few months left till school is finished so hopefully things will get better for you.

SEAKING

HSC
N/A
not going for the same reasons as op.
+ someone said it was $190, fuck that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)