Rural Schools: A Disadvantage? (1 Viewer)

The Ozman

HSC
Hey people, just wanting some opinions. I go to a really small school (about 200-250 people) that's also pretty rural (a good third of the year leave at year 10, and almost no-one who goes through gets a high UAI). I'm aceing all my subjects there, but i'm worried that because there's no competition i'm at a huge disadvantage. What do you think, and also can you suggest ways of making sure i'm keeping up with the rest of you guys?

HSC
keep on top of the work they give you. everyone works off the same syllabus. just because the school doesn't have a history of achieving well it doesn't mean you can't provided you stay motivated.

HSC
ur shure at a disadvantage coz u got no one to compete against...buh always try to do better, try getting 95+ in everything (at my school, n every sub, someone basicli always gets a 95+ n i go to a public school! imagine selective!) , try and imagine that there is someone in ur class who is getting ~95%.....and try to top that

HSC
Ennaybur said:
exhibit A: there were like <50 people in my year. Very rural school, priority funding
exhibit B: my UAI
lol, nice evidence....n VERY NICE UAI!.....may i ask what subs u did n the marks u got?:)

goosiegoo

HSC
I go to a rural school... but not where near as small as yours (theres about 1200 students overall, and around 120 in our year) but we usually get people achieving very good marks...

melbell2046

HSC
I'm in a catholic school of about 900 people. Some of the people in my year achieve very high marks, but it is very inconsistently (i also have alot od dropkicks in my year) . i believe that we are at a disadvantage being so far from many of the teaching resources offered in the city, but that is simply something we must deal with. make the best of what you can and to get a good indication of how your going do some outsourced practice papers and get them marked by an impartial marker.

Subjects:Chem, Bio, Physics, Mathematics, Math Ext 1, Advanced English and BEC religion

HSC
I don't know if it's true but my french teacher said they give credit in the HSC to students who go to rural schools. For a school like mine, I don't think it's really fair because I don't think we're at any great disadvantage. Last year we had, I think, 3 people out of ~130 scoring 99+ and a fair few with 90+ which is pretty good for a school that has no scholarships or anything.

HSC
Ennaybur said:
exhibit A: there were like <50 people in my year. Very rural school, priority funding
exhibit B: my UAI
I was joking with my post.

I've been in awe of your UAI for quite a while now, considering you don't live in sydney.

xxmissy

HSC
i thought rural schools got an extra 7 added to their UAI coz they're disadvantaged?

melbell2046

HSC
depending on the course your applying for you do yet a slightly lower entry UAI applied to you, but as you said these are mainly through rural entry schemes. you need to investigate your courses and talk to some of the uni's. find email addresses and ask your questions to the people who know all of the correct information. hope that helps!!!

goosiegoo

HSC
I know that Newcastle Uni add's an extra four points to your UAI if you're from a rural school...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)