• A little bit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knife plz.

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Itchy.Nox

HSC
AH!

I am sick of the Department of Education and Training.

The amount of websites they block is ludicrous.
In software i'm writing a game, so when i'm searching something relating to the coding of games, 80% of the things and tutorials i need are blocked.
As are anything related to sourceforge and such.

The internet at school is becoming practically useless.

And today, i was cruising on to research some super conductor material from the various resources that the DET wants us to learn from, and Bored of Studies is blocked under means of "School Cheating Information"

stupid fuckers.

Anymore ranting?
or is it not blocked at some schools?

DJel

HSC
Yes, I feel that they do block to many. I notice it a lot when I am trying to find tutorials, etc for programming in software design and development. Sometimes the teacher will give us a link that he found (probably at home) and it will be blocked and be no help to anyone. Also they blocked google images, (as well as other image searches) for a while and when a practical assessment in software asks to include a photo relating to the database its the best feeling...

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Mobile phones are part of a communication system, which is part of the IPT curriculum, which is blocked by DET.

Oh and Boredofstudies is apparently classified as school cheating information

~untitled~

HSC
We have kinda the same thing at school, a lot of the stuff i need for music research is blocked, which really sucks! All the computer brains in our year have figured out how to get into nearly everything through the proxies though. And surprisingly bored of studies isnt blocked! And our year advisor encourages us to use this sit too, put it on the list of useful links we all got!

w00dy.

HSC
Yeah, we noticed this quiet sometime ago.

I was doing research on the schools internet for my CAFS assessment not long after they brought that thing in, and cause i was researching gay and lesbians i wasnt allowed to view half of the things on the net, which i find really pathetic considering it is apart of the syllabus as an option to study gay and lesbians as a group.

The same sort of thing applied when i was doing research for my IRP because some of the articles i found at home contained things like Barbie or Bratz dolls looking like s**ts i wasnt allowed to view them at school to print the articles.

Things are restricted way too much, and if they are to restrict things based on content, maybe they should consider something where somethings are blocked for kids under or above a certain age, to make it somewhat possible for some students to complete there work at school. if anything it somewhat disadvantages a kid who doesnt have the internet and needs it for research but cant because the board of studies has blocked half the articles he or she finds.

Itchy.Nox

HSC
Yeh bored of studies wasn't blocked last week, now it is.

I just think it's rediculous the amount of education they're taking away from us. You can learn so much mroe from interacting, then beign barked at and being told where not to go. It's just not on.

Question, does anyone know where DET head office is?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ha they`ve even blocked google images at our school. thats just .. stepping over the line.

kkkkaitlyn

HSC
bored of studies is blocked at my school aswell among many other things..
on another topic my school has installed some thing were messages are sent to anyone who has a phone on at school (mainly blutooth ones). and the message says ' go to blah blahs office' complete with a picture of them .... my school is so stupid as if anyone will actually go up to the office n b like oh i got a message i thought id come up n fetch my detention.....

Bel_T

HSC
I went and downloaded firefox myself, then hid it in a gazillion folders on the raidserver so the librarians won't come and kill me for downloading stuff.
Wow, is there really a category called "Contains plans for world domination"?
And yeah, the DET sucks. :(

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
over9k said:
Proxies!!
What's an example of one that isn't blocked? The older ones are all blocked and so are the actual sites showing proxies or anything with the word "proxy" for that matter.

That said, I only ever used the school computers for Slime Arena anyway and that's blocked so really, this blocking thing doesn't bother me much.

Cythen

HSC
The other day for Software Design, I had to research Freeware licenses as part of my project, but tada! DET prevented any searches for "Freeware." First email, now Google Images. WTF is wrong with the shitheads in the DET? It seems as though they're making a constant effort to reduce the quality of education under the pretence that they are doing the exact opposite.

If for some reason I'm found out for saying this by my highly uptight school, I'll probably get a good talking to (but I don't really care for their bull anymore):

DET... Kindly fuck off.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Itchy.Nox said:
Yeh bored of studies wasn't blocked last week, now it is.

I just think it's rediculous the amount of education they're taking away from us. You can learn so much mroe from interacting, then beign barked at and being told where not to go. It's just not on.

Question, does anyone know where DET head office is?
happens now and then, just referesh the page

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
m0ofin said:
What's an example of one that isn't blocked? The older ones are all blocked and so are the actual sites showing proxies or anything with the word "proxy" for that matter.

That said, I only ever used the school computers for Slime Arena anyway and that's blocked so really, this blocking thing doesn't bother me much.
Just set up one yourself. That's what a guy in my software class did for us all.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
f3nr15 said:
happens now and then, just referesh the page
That's right. Try entering the URL in the address bar again and it should be fine. If you just press F5 it would still show up as blocked :p

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lol that wtunnel thing used to work at our school.
damn thats been blocked too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)