Sydney Boys (1 Viewer)

water89

HSC
Hey guys i'm going to Sydney boys in 2008 (year 11) and I just had a few questions for current HIGH students.

1. Is all this talk about segregation of Anglo saxons and asians true? (As in like do Asians stick with asians and do anglos stick with anglos or whatever)

2. Can i get some information on the Year 11 mathematics Options exam? (When is it, what is tested, what does it count towards, etc)

3. In general how is everyone, like is it easy to make friends, fit in, etc ?

Cheers

ozzievictor

Such is HSC
HSC
Hey guys i'm going to Sydney boys in 2008 (year 11) and I just had a few questions for current HIGH students.

1. Is all this talk about segregation of Anglo saxons and asians true? (As in like do Asians stick with asians and do anglos stick with anglos or whatever)

Absolutely no problems with the big "R" at SBHS, BUT over the past year I have come to realise there is a big problem in the concentration of students (dare I use the "N" word as in "revenge of the") coming from Enlish-is-second-language-homes as 90% of us do - doesnt allow absorption of higher level english skills from the "anglos" (i.e. third generation aussies) resulting in a group of higher level maths mutants who speak in symbols of one word!

I came to SBHS from North Sydney school so I didn't have to cross bridge everyday but my english skills have essentially stagnated to the stage where it is going to impact on my HSC. Really wishing I had gone to North Sydney Boys and continued to sponge on their english skills - so easy to learn by contact and seems to be so hard to learn at School.

2. Can i get some information on the Year 11 mathematics Options exam? (When is it, what is tested, what does it count towards, etc)

2. Options Exam is 30% of "placement mark" to see who gets in the top Maths Class - they will probably factor you in on basis of whatever exam you sat to get into school. Very competitive as this is a very strong Maths school who are all going to become Doctors (contradition in terms - not in Chinese).

3. In general how is everyone, like is it easy to make friends, fit in, etc ?

3. Easy peasy, very accepting. This is a great school just a pity about the english, real bummer. I am starting to panic because clearly in the HSC you have to be able to 'write a story' rather than just cross a, b, c or d. This was driven home in the School Certificate Exam where none of us got a 6. Realise now I used to be carried along in english by the literate North Shore anglos and now I am getting dragged down into the Mathlish mire .... if only it was a competition to answer the questions in the least number of words - we would would be all over the high achievers list - no one could match us not even the SMSperts.

Anyway, something for you to think about. I would certainly appreciate advice from anyone about improving english writing skills for HSC through coaching, personal tutor etc.

The Kaiser

HSC
The Options test or "Placement" exam is basically to place you in graded classes for the Preliminary Mathematics Ext 1 course. It consists of early Prelininary topics and for us it is worth a third of our total mark. However, I do not know what the weighing this test is to your total mark. There are two top classes (A and 1) and like "ozzievictor" said it is very competitive.

That being said I'm pretty sure your going to have a great time at SBHS and fit in quite easily. :)

J

juvekickass

just do some sports and school, and you'll fit in very well. I did a bit of rowing and football, and it was great fun.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
ozzievictor said:

This was driven home in the School Certificate Exam where none of us got a 6.
Exaggerate more lol.

water89

HSC
I really really want to sit the HSC MAths 2 Units in 2008, meaning Id have to get a fantastic mark in the Options exam. Any ideas on how to go about getting these marks?

And whoever is going to be in Year 11 in 2008 please message me, I'm just enrolling and i know only like one person =[.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
water89 said:
I really really want to sit the HSC MAths 2 Units in 2008, meaning Id have to get a fantastic mark in the Options exam. Any ideas on how to go about getting these marks?
I can only say work hard and study.

water89

HSC
The Kaiser said:
The Options test or "Placement" exam is basically to place you in graded classes for the Preliminary Mathematics Ext 1 course. It consists of early Prelininary topics and for us it is worth a third of our total mark. However, I do not know what the weighing this test is to your total mark. There are two top classes (A and 1) and like "ozzievictor" said it is very competitive.

That being said I'm pretty sure your going to have a great time at SBHS and fit in quite easily. :)
You say there are two top classes, but four classes sit the HSC 2 Units in Year 11 don't they?

"After term 1 in Year 11, four classes of 2-unit students will be selected to complete HSC 2-unit mathematics. The remainder of the mathematics extension classes will sit for Preliminary examinations at the end of term 3. There is no re-grading in Year 12. " - www.sydneyboyshigh.com

It says "after term 1" so i am assuming the options exam is somewhere towards the end of term 1 right?

The Kaiser

HSC
water89 said:
You say there are two top classes, but four classes sit the HSC 2 Units in Year 11 don't they?

"After term 1 in Year 11, four classes of 2-unit students will be selected to complete HSC 2-unit mathematics. The remainder of the mathematics extension classes will sit for Preliminary examinations at the end of term 3. There is no re-grading in Year 12. " - www.sydneyboyshigh.com

It says "after term 1" so i am assuming the options exam is somewhere towards the end of term 1 right?
True. The top 120 kids ( Generally the top 4 classes) sit the HSC 2 unit Mathematics course in Year 11 and are ranked accordingly for placement in the 4 Unit course. (that is only the top 120 students can do the 4 unit course) However if a student in the top 120 does not want to do Extention 2 Maths then the place goes to the 121st student and so on.

I'm assuming that you and the rest of the new comers to our school would sit the Placement exams on the first day back, however I'm not entirely sure.

Don't stress too much about the Placement Exam, it wasn't too hard... for me. Plus you can move up classes after the Half-Yearlys depending on how well you do.

(Oh and I think you have English Placements as well, English classes are graded as well)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)