assesment marks (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I know this is prob a stupid Q but do we ever find out the assesment mark our teachers submitted to the bos for each of our subjects?

crazylilmonkee

HSC
nope
they send it off and it gets aligned and thats the only mark we know of.. the aligned one

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
damn...well for geography my actual assessment mark was 73%, but my teacher wrote it on my report as 84%, so that means I will never know which mark he sent to the BOS?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
I believe 84% is the moderated assessment mark, the one sent to the bos not sure anyways if it was 73% you deserve 73% doesn't matter which one he/she sent off, whatever you deserve you get.

Winston

HSC
you can pretty much calculate your assessment marks for each subject

say you had an assignment worth 50/50, weighting is 20%

say u got 48

then you do 48/50 multiplied by 20

which is 19.2 %

just do it for each assessment add it up and there you go.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah but what if they sent a different mark to the actual calculated one? Like for geog my actual mark was 73 but the teacher either sent 73 or 84 to the BOS, and he wouldn't tell me which one (he scaled all of our marks up by 10 or 11 for the mark on our end of year report - I have no idea why)...it would most likely be 73 that he sent though right?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yenta
Yeah but what if they sent a different mark to the actual calculated one? Like for geog my actual mark was 73 but the teacher either sent 73 or 84 to the BOS, and he wouldn't tell me which one (he scaled all of our marks up by 10 or 11 for the mark on our end of year report - I have no idea why)...it would most likely be 73 that he sent though right?
It probably would be the 73 because if he increased the classes marks by 10 each that reduces the comparative difference between each student and the aligned assement marking will differ from what it should be.

Winston

HSC
hmmm its rather strange if the marks increased in proportion it wouldnt make much of a difference becoz ur ranks will be intact, and it simply ranks which is the crucial thing.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
hmmm its rather strange if the marks increased in proportion it wouldnt make much of a difference becoz ur ranks will be intact, and it simply ranks which is the crucial thing.
Yes but if he simply added a figure , eg 10 it would change the proportion of the marks.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Anyway does it matter what mark

Is the ranks and the external HSC exam mark that counts

Maybe im wrong

And if you got 73% i don't see a reason why your frustrated if your teacher sent 84% thats good, if not well too bad but it is the rank i think that matters

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I'm not frustrated just confused...and I would think that the mark does matter because 84% rather than 73% would mean a higher HSC mark, right? Ranks were the same for both marks.

Just out of curiosity what would happen to my assessment mark if I came first in the exam? I came 2nd for the assessment....would my mark get upped or what?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I'm not frustrated just confused...and I would think that the mark does matter because 84% rather than 73% would mean a higher HSC mark, right? Ranks were the same for both marks.

Just out of curiosity what would happen to my assessment mark if I came first in the exam? I came 2nd for the assessment....would my mark get upped or what?
If the rank is 1st for both, there is no difference, if the rank is different it might be a little different (that is if he added a common number to all results) the proportionate ranks are different. If your rank was second and your exam mark was 1st, the person with an assement rank of 1 would get your exam mark (this is the aligned one btw.) and you would get an assesment rank that is in line with the proportion of how far you are behind.

tempco

HSC
Your mark is only relatively important... say in a specific school, the highest was 100%, since all the assessments were easy, and the average assessment mark was quite high. On the other hand, a school with hard assessment tasks would have a #1 at 85%, and with a lower average... the high average would mean that the marks would be lowered, while the low average would be upped most probably, all depending on the HSC exam average.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Yes but if he simply added a figure , eg 10 it would change the proportion of the marks.
No, it wouldn't. If you have marks of 75, 76, and 80, adding 10 to each one gives 85, 86 and 90. The relative differences between students are exactly the same.

the teacher either sent 73 or 84 to the BOS, and he wouldn't tell me which one (he scaled all of our marks up by 10 or 11 for the mark on our end of year report - I have no idea why)
If that is indeed how he scaled your marks, it won't make a difference which one he sent (which is why it's allowed).

Proper explanations of the moderating process can be obtained from the "UAI/HSC Marks - Technical Arcana" forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)