Speech Day/Night prizes for topping a course (1 Viewer)

RJ

HSC
I was just wondering what different schools give you for coming first in an HSC course at the end of the year. I've just discovered that we get a photocopied certificate, which I reckon is pretty stingy. I realize that there will be lots of different awards, so it can get pricey, but I think that if it is just a dodgy piece of paper, rather than allowing people to get exicted, they should give nothing at all. What do you guys think?

RJ

HSC
Sorry - that was a bit ambiguous - whoops! I meant for topping within the school.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
We were given a medal for being 'Highest Achiever' in a subject, and an additional medal and framed certificate for being 'Most Outstanding Achiever' (Dux). Ended up winning eight medals (Although 'Most Outstanding Achiever' was shared), so it was quite good.

These were awarded during the daytime graduation ceremony, the two being combined, our awards being listed simultaneously with being given portfolioes..

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
At my school, depending on the award, you can get monetary rewards. For instance if your awarded the commonwealth bank award you get about $100 I think. Then you can get gift vouchers from stores like Lowes for other awards. However with other ones you simply just get a certificate.
I think the recognition of getting the award (s) is the best prize though.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
yeah my school gives out books to the top people
i've never gotten one.. i WANT A FREE BOOK!

^___^
HSC
hmm, out school, a trophy for each subject with ur name on it..

then, end of next yr, u hand it back to the school and ur successor inherits the possession

Winston

HSC
People who come first in the subject gets a trophy with their name on it, i got one for Software :D...

RJ

HSC
Just as I suspected - my school is VERY stingy, although we get a $25 book voucher for being in the top 10 of the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful, I just think that it's not the best thing to be aspiring towards a piece of paper - but then I guess that's what money is!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
$25 is not stingy at all. As many people above said, they get either worthless certificates, or a hand-me-down trophy. Book vouchers are the norm (my school gives small ones for within school, big ones for state) and they're basically a free book. To me that's a lot more than "a piece of paper"...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh well I topped all of my subjects (7), and we got pretty awards. I also got dux and got a certificate and an engraved medal.
We got cd vouchers for getting a principal's award though.

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
our school just gives out book vouchers, although they're worth quite a lot
i got about $330 in yr10, and $180 last year
dunno bout this year, speech night's on feb 24 :rolleyes:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
a $20 voucher for a book
we go buy a book with that voucher and then we give the book to the school so they can re present it to us.
We had a similar system in operation in Years 10/11, but it disappeared by the Year 12 ceremony, possibly a casualty of 'progress', perhaps a means of saving money, with the same end result. (Although I did get 'Stupid White Men' with my Year 11 voucher. Fun!)

N

ND

Originally posted by freaking_out
we get $20 voucher for subject you come first in- i ended up getting $60. :D
Yeh me too, but it should've been $80; they didn't give me the award for 3u, cos i do 4u. Ripped off... =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)