The fast writing secret (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
I was wondering- is there any secret to writing fast and neat at the same time?

Is running writing faster than print?
Is there any proven results?
I can see people with neat print who can write extremely fast as well

Me, on the other hand, get criticised for writing messily when i go it exam rooms- maybe i should change to print?

PRSOV

I think its really a matter of whats comfortable for you, but if its really messy then maybe you should try printing. Though I was taught not to "print" as such after year 6 for some reason.

In the HSC I have seen exam responses for english which are so unreadable which have still scored Band 6 marks which has astounded me...so really its a combination of whats most neat, and what writes quickest for you.

Personally running writing is much faster than me, but I always tend to write messier when I do so.

Regards,
PR

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i would keep with running writing
i think it comes down to practice, and how tight you hold your pen - hold it loosely so it puts less strain on your wrist and in turn doesn't hurt as much so you can write more
i think writing big is better than small

i don't know of any proven results

check out this thread. before the hsc we were trying to work out how to write faster:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10222&highlight=inky

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah don't worry too much about the relative neatness of your writing. They are teachers marking them who should be used to deciphering exam writing.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I print, but l have been printing ever since l left year 6. I have had a lot of practice during this time, it depends on what you would prefer to do.

swangal

i can write fast but definetly not neat...my eng teacher sed not 2 worry about it becos the markers are required to go thru n decipher every word if they have to..they CAN NOT mark u down just because they think ur super messy!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
eat lotsa wheat bix and 5 cans of V per day....

nah i think practice accounts for alot... the more you write, the faster you become... neatness is secondary to speed

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
I just don't worry about it being neat. Do whatever is comfortable for you really. The markers cant mark you down for not being neat so you might as well write messy and be able to get more down.

Wohzazz

HSC
I see, I'll probably stick to my current running writing
I think ink pens and gel pens work better- like those uniball ones
Thank you for the replies:)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i found that buying one of those pilot fine ball point pens helped me write faster as well as holding the pen very lightly....also don't write too small it just slows down ya writing a lot of the times.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I use Uniball Micro pens... =)

I print. The trick is not to over tense your hand on the writing implement so as you get cramps...

Printing is faster than cursive for some, and cursive for others...

It all depends on what the people use during a normal day more often...

---

It also helps if you develop the skill to write with both hands...

Being ambidextrous helps... I, for one, am, and I don't worry about cramps whilst the rest of you break...

But ambidextrisity can be learnt to some extent... so practice up :)

(( My friends and I all find printing faster... ))

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Its been scientifically proven otherwise... =)

They did it with humans... and then with monkeys...

The monkey's learnt better... (hahahaha)... but what did you expect?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Protector
Its been scientifically proven otherwise... =)

They did it with humans... and then with monkeys...

The monkey's learnt better... (hahahaha)... but what did you expect?
yeah, well when i try to write with my right hand (being a lefty) it turns out awful- so yeah thats why i thought it to be near impossible. :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Protector
It also helps if you develop the skill to write with both hands...

Being ambidextrous helps... I, for one, am, and I don't worry about cramps whilst the rest of you break...

But ambidextrisity can be learnt to some extent... so practice up :)

(( My friends and I all find printing faster... ))
so did you swap hands all the time? that's amazing!

Wohzazz

HSC
I might try that in the future when I'm at UNI
Another list of skill i wish to gain!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
I might try that in the future when I'm at UNI
Another list of skill i wish to gain!
yeah, same here- i mean, it would b kool to b able to write wif my right hand- so that the ink doesn't have to smudge every time i write wif a "gel" pen. :mad1:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
this site gives a pretty detail analysis of hand writing speed and legibility, http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair/KateHwR.html

its quite insteresting to know that cursive is not the fastest way of writing and most of the time it has proven to be the slowest. the fastest style of writing is printing the letters that is hard to join and joining the ones thats easy. so naturally fast writers instinctively pick and choose the best combination of which letters to join and not to join.

oh yea, one other thing i found out about writing speed is that how your brain works can determine the speed at which you can write at. some people, when they write, need to think about how the words are spelt, joined, and look like ect... so preventing them from writing and thinking about what to write at the same time. for others handwriting are so natural to them like breathing, they can think ahead ie already thinking one or two paragraph ahead of what they are currently physically writing while they are writing. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)