• Didnt get it :(

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Didnt go for it!

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
So.. who went for the position ... who go it? What ideas do u have for this oncoming year? And did any of you go to the young leaders day? What did u think? i thought it was brillant! Bryce Courtney was mad!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Waste of my time I meant, the captains at our school get all this shit put on them, they're basically the organisers of everything year 12 does during the year and I cared more bout my marks than the title.

tempco

HSC
Don't really like to do anything other than what' necessary, so I don't think I'll have anything to do with the SRC... although it's useful as an ECA for a scholarship if you're planning on applying for one.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I didn't go for it (or more correctly I'm not going to go for it), quite frankly I wouldn't want to be representative of my school, or my year most of them are idiots who really don't care about their future, plus the rest of the school *shudders*.

swangal

Vice captain- so i could organise a support your team mufti day ( and wear my AFL jumper to school)...it was good cos the rest of the SRC were mates of mine...being in it didnt require alot of effort either.
I went to the young leaders day last year @ darling harbour and I have to say that Wendy Harmer is super annoying and not funny!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I didn't go for a position, although I probably should have. We had only two candidates, and they weren't particularly good.. Almost like the US Presidential elections actually, a frightening political demonstration.. Sadly, the planned coup didn't go through either. Too hard lining up armaments. (Or I couldn't really be bothered, one of the two.)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
I was a Prefect.... it was a good experience because our college really hypes up the prestige of the position and it required minimal work... except there were some occassions when the title placed expectations on you to attend certain things that clashed with what you wanted to do.

In any case, I got out of doing those things with my power of persuasion :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
I was a Prefect.... it was a good experience because our college really hypes up the prestige of the position and it required minimal work... except there were some occassions when the title placed expectations on you to attend certain things that clashed with what you wanted to do.

In any case, I got out of doing those things with my power of persuasion :p
I was also a Prefect - attending Tenax's school. (I was also on the SRC via the Student Executive). I agree, the College has always hyped up the positions of leadership, especially the Executive roles (School Captain, Vice Captain, Senior Prefect, Administration Prefect, Sports Prefect).

For some roles, however, it did require a lot of work, be it via the SRC, compiling student lists, organising rosters and meetings, agendas, generating reports (your school reports; teachers comments were typed in by me :p) - Mass liturgy booklets and other services.

All in all, I never got out of doing anything, though I was always asked to re-create rosters and shuffle students around. The worst part of being on the SRC had been taking the minutes! (That, and taking the minutes for the Staff Executive meeting! Mr. Krawec goes on... and on... and on...) :eek:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Our school is far more egalitarian than most schools, even some of the public ones. We have no prefectual body, but rather a student-elected SRC. Two SRC members sit on the School Council (Principal, Deputies, Head Teachers and Student reps) two represent the students in matters of fund allocation etc, but overall the position has little prestige outside people's CVs. I myself had more power in my "unseen roles" as Aikido instructor, Administrator for various clubs (eg Anim, Religion etc) and Website Admin. Of course, these don't look as impressive on a CV without me explaining my duties, which could come as a burden later.

Anyway, the idea of prefects is a throwback to the old GPS system values, and in some schools (eg Kings) the almost irrefutable power borne by prefects cause serious trauma in the "weaker" students, who "live in constant fear" (John Marsden, King's alumnus).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
go for it, you will have heaps to talk about in scholarship applications. That if you don't bludge when you get it.

Karlee

We don't even have prefects at our school, just captains and vices. It's all a big popularity contest in our school anyway. The one who puts out the most wins.

Universal

HSC
N/A
Captaincy isn't that bad really, like i found it to be a lot of fun.
There's all the bodgy formal sh*t that you have to take part in, but it opens up a lot of opportunities for you as well.
So yeah i really recommend for the class of 04 to apply now, honestly it does take up a bit of time, but it really is worth it.

dizzyingheights

Most ppl in the grade grow to despise the school captain because of unjustified favouritism...

not that I'm speaking from any personal experience :p

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Waste of my time I meant, the captains at our school get all this shit put on them, they're basically the organisers of everything year 12 does during the year and I cared more bout my marks than the title.
ahh fair enough i know where your coming from and i agree! i never went for anything because 1- im lazy and dont want more work than i already had..
2- because i know no one would have listened to me and
3- i didnt want a stack of responsibility and then get blamed if various functions turned out shit etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)