Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: entry to girraween in year 11

HSC

entry to girraween in year 11

im still thinking about trying out for girraween for yr 11, 2010 because apparently, they make an extra class of about 20 which gives me some hope of making it in. but i was just wondering what are the expectations for girraween? should i participate in a lot of co-curricular activities? i also heard that you have to do an entry test as well as show documents like your last 2 school reports before they consider accepting you. im worried about the test and esp. my school reports since i havent been getting straight A's and my marks range from the 70's to 90's, which isnt all that great =/
    "Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.

The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours."
    - Ayn Rand

HSC

Re: entry to girraween in year 11

There was another thread like this going around but i cant seem to find it anymore. Wierd i posted on it the other day!
    Ill keep looking...

Try searching "girraween" and you will find some threads heplfull.
    2010 HSC Courses

Maths EX1
    Maths EX2
    English Adv
    Chemistry

Physics
    Economics

Cadet
    HSC

I'm also applying for Girraween for year 11. Apparently, many people seem interested so I'm sure there will be a large number of applicants which doesn't make me feel any better because I'm already so nervous about the test, but anyway, all the best!

Concerning your reports, I think they will focus more on your test results and compare your results with other candidates. Also, I believe that you don't necessarily have to have "straight A's" to be accepted because I received an A for everything except for a B in PE and RE..so these subjects don't really count, I suppose..?

Seeing your post has made me even more anxious to know about how many people are applying..because there is very high competition, and its an ACER test and from what I have heard, it is difficult and not something that you can really prepare for as it involves logical thinking.
    Last edited by riya03; 23 Jan 2009 at 8:56 PM.

HSC

yeah, youre right about the ACER tests being hard.
    i took XShiv's suggestion and searched other threads.
    apparently the english test is particularly hard as it is based on a year 11/12 level. that doesnt surprise me though, cos we are trying out for senior years at a selective.
    and also with girra ranked 22nd im sure there will be lots more people wanting to try out.
    now, i am having second thoughts on trying out. but its worth a try - we have nothing to lose
    "Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.

The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours."
    - Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by infatuated-x3 View Post
    yeah, youre right about the ACER tests being hard.
    i took XShiv's suggestion and searched other threads.
    apparently the english test is particularly hard as it is based on a year 11/12 level. that doesnt surprise me though, cos we are trying out for senior years at a selective.
    and also with girra ranked 22nd im sure there will be lots more people wanting to try out.
    now, i am having second thoughts on trying out. but its worth a try - we have nothing to lose
    Ya, I'm sure the English section will be difficult, and supposingly, maths and science will be lateral thinking type questions.

I wish they could offer more seats, James Ruse offers 40 seats this year, and they take no test..they simply look at your reports and compare it with other canditates..

ohh well, I'm going to try my best for the test, and as you said..there is nothing to lose

HSC

Come to Baulko ! =)
    Baulko XI
    Advanced English (97), MX1 (97), MX2 (94), Chemistry (97- 15th state rank), Economics (97 - 5th state rank 2010)
    Aim achieved: 99.95

Now offering tutoring! + Selling notes

Cadet
    HSC

Would love to come there as it is ranked no.2 which is a very high achievement, and seeing as they take no test and only look at your past two school reports which is a lot easier when compared to doing a test and preparing for it

However, I will apply at Baulkham Hills also, but because there is such high competition in year 11 as everyone wants to attend an academically talented school for their HSC. But I've heard that a bunch of people from Girraween move to Baulkham Hills each year, and the school would generally accept students who are previously from a selective school, I suppose?
    Last edited by riya03; 24 Jan 2009 at 2:33 PM.

HSC

Hmm, I was wondering if two of my maths distinction certificate will lift my chances of getting in selective schools? My year 9 report was terrible, mostly B's and three A's..

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Cee. View Post
    Hmm, I was wondering if two of my maths distinction certificate will lift my chances of getting in selective schools? My year 9 report was terrible, mostly B's and three A's..
    I guess it varies on the school you are applying for. Regardless, all selective schools consider the reports in great detail..but I think if you apply for a school that takes a test, then they will mainly focus on your test results?

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it should be somewhat right...

ohh, I forgot to ask..it also depends on what subjects you received an A for..the selection committee will mainly focus on Maths, English, Sci and HSIE. It is hard competition because many people receive all A's in their reports, and they are generally accepted so try to do well in this year's report; however, they will also ask for last year's report.

Btw what school are you applying for? I was considering Girraween in terms of distance and convenience but there will be a large number of applicants... I'm already so nervous and the test is 6 months away
    Last edited by riya03; 24 Jan 2009 at 9:48 PM.

HSC

I'm trying out for St George & probably Girra, I still haven't decided other two schools, I received A's for Geo, History and Commerce.. it seems I probably have no chance of getting into any selective schools because of the competition, but I might as well give it a shot and do my best in this year's report
    Last edited by Cee.; 24 Jan 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way...you always have a chance, and you have to do well in this year's first semester report..thats all

If you're already from a selective school, then you might have a slightly higher chance, but I don't know much about how the system works..

If you apply for Girra, then we're on the same boat..I wonder how many people are applying? I'm thinking of applying for (in preference order) - JR, Baulkham Hills, Girra and then Penrith. However, the list may change..

Hopefully I'll be accepted in any one of these school
    Last edited by riya03; 24 Jan 2009 at 10:10 PM.

HSC

haha i would be over the moon if i got accepted to baulko/james ruse but im afraid i will just crash and burn from all the pressure, work, etc. one of my best friends goes to baulko and she is super smart but her parents banned her from watching tv so she could concentrate on schoolwork. what horrible parents =/ anyways, im getting off track here lol.

im not sure if penrith is even worth trying out for lol. i go there and we're getting worse and worse in the hsc >< currently ranked 45th (dropped from 24th) - quite shameful for a fully selective.

oh, and just out of curiosity, what school do yous go to riya03 and Cee.?
    Last edited by infatuated-x3; 24 Jan 2009 at 11:03 PM.

- Ayn Rand

HSC

oh wow theres an entrance test to girra? o.O

yeh its mre than 20, girra accepts ~25 new students - and in my year, 5 of us went to baulko in yr 11

well gl ppls - its my bet that girra will go up again cause our class of 09 is so awesome and hard-working, unlike us lol :P
    Girraween High - HSC 2008
    UWS - Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery - Class of '13
    http://rukerau.blogspot.com

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by infatuated-x3 View Post
    haha i would be over the moon if i got accepted to baulko/james ruse but im afraid i will just crash and burn from all the pressure, work, etc. one of my best friends goes to baulko and she is super smart but her parents banned her from watching tv so she could concentrate on schoolwork. what horrible parents =/ anyways, im getting off track here lol.

im not sure if penrith is even worth trying out for lol. i go there and we're getting worse and worse in the hsc >< currently ranked 45th (dropped from 24th) - quite shameful for a fully selective.

oh, and just out of curiosity, what school do yous go to riya03 and Cee.?
    wow..you go to Penrith? You have a chance because selective school's generally accept applicants from other selective schools, but your performance in the test is also important.

haha same, I would be super happy...thats great, see..she must have studied hard and TV is just a distraction.
    Last edited by riya03; 28 Feb 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by zvyx View Post
    oh wow theres an entrance test to girra? o.O

yeh its mre than 20, girra accepts ~25 new students - and in my year, 5 of us went to baulko in yr 11

well gl ppls - its my bet that girra will go up again cause our class of 09 is so awesome and hard-working, unlike us lol :P
    haha, one of my friends who also attends Girraween was surprised when I told her school takes a test in order to be enrolled.

Yes, so its a class of 25 students..but because each year a bunch of people move from Girra to Baulko, so that must create more vacancies? So, I'm supposing there will be vacancies from somewhat 25 seats to 30.

Thanks for the wishes

HSC

oh yeah, ive heard of nagle college. theres a few people from other grades who came from nagle so im sure you'll have a pretty good chance of making it in =)

- Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

I know a classmate of mine who's going to be in your grade this year..Lara Zabala.

I really hope so, thanks

Edit- btw do you take tutoring?
    Last edited by riya03; 25 Jan 2009 at 11:37 AM.

HSC

ohh that mustve been the other girl on orientation day she seemed a bit shy.

yeah, i take tutoring.

- Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

I was considering taking tutoring...there's pre-uni, james an..and private tutoring..which one would you say is the best?

Also, do you think there will be any vacancies in your grade this year? I'm sure that Penrith doesn't form a new class..so on an estimation, how many people do you think will be leaving this year?
    Last edited by riya03; 25 Jan 2009 at 3:19 PM.

HSC

well, i go to pre uni and in my opinion i think its pretty good =) apparently it has a good reputation and their students always get better results in the hsc than students from other tutors. i heard from my friends that james an is crap and the work is unchallenging. im not trying to put down james an but thats just what ive heard. theres also north shore, which seems ok and its cheaper compared to pre uni. and im not sure if private tutors are more expensive than normal ones lol sorry.

umm i dont think (from my own knowledge) that anyone will be leaving this year. everyone seems to be happy where they are right now and there hasnt been any rumours that someone might leave. but you never know last year nobody left in my grade but they still accepted 4 more students so probably around that. + theres a small chance that i might leave ..

- Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

I've been both to Pre-Uni and James An five years ago in order to prepare for the Selective test in Year 6, and I was well-prepared but luck wasn't with me as I was sick a few days before the test, unfortunately. So whilst doing the test, I had no idea about what I was circling for the MC, and I wasnt accepted.

Anyways, I'm trying once again this year...wow, thats nice, but I'm not particularly interested in Penrith..I'm mainly aiming for Girra or Baulko, but Penrith will also do...you should still consider yourself to be lucky because your school is ranked #45 and my school in #257...its a big difference!

hmm, I'm also going to take tutoring but not private tutoring...they don't provide material to study for..I think I'll be joining a coaching academy.
    Last edited by riya03; 25 Jan 2009 at 5:18 PM.

HSC

yeah same here, im also aiming for girra and baulko. does baulko make a new class in year 11 like girra? i heard they do.

well yeah, everyone has different learning needs and stuff not all tutors can cater for everyone so i hope your new tutor can help you =)

- Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

I don't think Baulkham Hills does...doesn't mention it on their website..however, it would be great if they do

haha thanks, but I'm sure I'll be joining either Pre-Uni or James An.

Just out of curiousity, I wonder who else is visiting the thread? Its recieved more than 200+ views! haha

HSC

yeah thats what i thought. but my friend told me they make an extra class. or maybe that was just to encourage me to try out haha.

lol yeah im wondering too

- Ayn Rand

Cadet
    HSC

Well, to confirm whether its true or not, you can always make a call to the school and clarify your questions.

haha...well, its was good talking to someone who understands how I feel because none of my friends are interested in applying for Selective. I can't wait till September to find out the outcome..I really hope I'm selected. Wishing you all the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information