Peer Support (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
does anyone have a peer support system in their school? what do u do? im trying to introduce one to our school = can u give me an advice or opinions or just wat ur school does cause my src metnor wants a schedule on wat the peer support groups woulod do every week .. have u guys got any ideas -- i want it to be informative, supportive but still fun ,.. please reply

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
we had a weekly one period session (goes for 40min) with the year 7 kiddies and help them to settle in high school. We actually have a booklet with recommended things to do each week. The entire program goes for the entire term 1 and usually, we have a party at the last week (organised by our own group, or actually, a combined one would be great too!)

The issues that we discuss each week usually about bullying, settling in high school, make a collage about yourself and discuss it, what you like... and other stuff, can't remember the exact thing.

there are so many ice breakers that we have done.

Before students become a peer support in year 11, there's a two day (this year wednesday and friday) peer support training in the last term of year 10. This generally teaches the peer-support-to-be the program that they will do with the year 7.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
our skool has stuff like primary links day where years 10s go and talk to primary students about high school and stuff..

In year 11 all students have to do peer support training where workshops are run on various topics.

Zahid

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
yeah wat im hoping to introduce is a system of where year 11 kids volunteer to be peers or leaders to the new year 7's students, it can also act as a leadership training program for the year 11's hoping to be school captain or part of the prefect body. And i want u know getting to know each other programs .. fun sport things but we have to schedule it out and i need more ideas .. anyone have any other ideas? i thought about guest speakers and stuff but what on? most of the boys in my year say sex talks because they think it would be beneficial and they wanna score free rubbers :) v.mature ppl in my year by the way .. any ideas would be great thanks xoxo

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
our school is practically the same as sugaryblue, and we also have links with local primary schools, i think yr9 or somthing take them. yr10 does peer support, used to be yr11

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Does anyone know the programs u can run week to week? i thought guest speakers, sport, getting to know each other programs (eg?) can anyone help wid ideas?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Our school is K-12 so when u are in Year 8 u go on a training camp and when you get back you have peer support sessions with the K-4s.

In secondary we also have house meetings (groups of about 40 students 7-12) every Thursday morning where we all sorta have a little chat about whats going on and stuff, its pretty good just to chill out with ppl from all grades.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was welfare captain this year so I was in charge of peer support and all the related stuff (mediation, organising counselling for those who needed it chatting to naughty people etc)

Last edited:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
u had to do peer support to be a prefect? damn that rorted..
with our peer support like the whole grade nominated themselves but only like 30 got chosen by the teachers.. mainly did it to wear a badge lol
peer support groups played games, talked about issues like bullying and stuff... reflected on school and stuff
we have another system at my school where like 32 year 12s are homeroom leaders and they visit a yr 7-10 homeroom once a week to talk to them.. u know to try to interact and stuff
i have a year 8 homeroom next yr.. how exciting heehe
oh and its another one of those badge things

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
We had peer support...year 11s paired up, and got a group or 5 or 6 year 7s.
Everyone who wanted to be a peer support leader had to do like a training day, where you go taught about bullying and why it is bad, and we had to do lame skits where someone tries to pressure someone into copying their homework and you have to think of what advice you would give, and all stuff liek that. (basically, a good way to bludge a day off of classes...oh, and we got a free sausage sandwich for doing it, which was a big incentive.)
Anyway, so then you chose someone to pair up with and you had to write like a statement of why you wanted to be a peer support leader, and then the year advisors were meant to select pairs. I figured the selection process would basically just be to screen out the main druggies and troublemakers...but me and my friend got rejected! From a high school peer-support program! How harsh is that? And we we "good" students, too! How insulting...!
But anyway, those who did get selected (pfft!) met up with their year 7s once a week, and did like "getting to know you" games to make sure the year 7s would have friends, and just talked about problems they were having at school and stuff. It only went for first term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)