Holiday Work? (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Well today's my first day of holidays, and although I won't be touching my books for the next 2 weeks or so, i'm looking for some advice from those that have already completed their HSC. Do you advise me to do any work during the Christmas holidays? What can I do to get ahead?

Any hints are most welcome...

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Well, let me just say planning to do work is great... doing the work planned is whole other kettle of fish. I suppose I should forewarn you that lack of motivation will be the key obstacle to overcome.

So, essentially, make sure you are realistic about what you set out to do.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i would:
- be up to date on ALL studynotes for what you have done for all subjects
- do any assessments you have been given
- go through anything you find hard (especially for maths courses)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I wouldn't advise to go that far ahead, but go ahead nonetheless.

Learn maybe half of the next topic your doing and focus more on what you already learned.

But yeah, don't burn yourself out in the holidays. Have fun!

s2ophie

HSC
my christmas holidays were wasted because my grandad died the week that school finished. Hence i spent this break grieving and doing an assignment that was due the day after he died. Anyway, I wouldn't go too far ahead. Read your English texts, have summaries of your science subjects done (and humanities if they will be helpful to you) but basically relax! This is almost the last holiday you have at school because i don't think the others actually constituted much of a holiday. so RELAX!!

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeah dont do too much work, u should relax. but it is a good idea to prepare summaries of the work u already done, and read ahead of the course so u know what to expect, but not too far ahead
jst 1 question, ur holidays are startin now, why?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
just make sure you are up to date so you don't start stressin when u get back to school

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah all I can say is use the time to get up to date on summary notes, cos if u don't do it now u neva will, and get all of ur assignments done so things aren't too hectic in the week before school goes back.

^___^
HSC
its holiday god dammit!

and its only ur HSC..

:rolleyes:

nah, revise ur topics...esp ones that have different core topics in them..really handy afterwards..

as for maths/english type courses...revise or as said..go ahead, but not too much, cos theres no need for that atm...

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
you should've done a module or aos in english, write an essay for that

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeah thats a good idea toodulu, also if u do maths write down the formulas u have learnt

what i did durin my hsc, was i wrote all the formulas i needed to know and pinned em rite nxt to my bed. so i wake up its there, i go to bed its there, it makes ur room ugly but it does work ;), its jst a suggestion ne way

Rahul

Dead Member
collect a lot of notes/past papers/etc. get your stuff organised. a lot of folders and plastic sleeves, or whatever does it for you.

pracrtice a lot of maths, thats is if you do maths. that will help you a lot.

any assignments that you may have, make sure you ace them. :)

go through your texts for science subjects, again if you do any. read the content and try to use the syllabus to familiarise yourself with it.

read any of your texts for english.

and lastly, dont burn youself out. take days off now and then, but try to keep focus on your studies,

hk31

HSC
well....DO some study/work this Christmas holidays - like do some research for assignments and stuff. But believe it or not...u can actually bludge a fair bit in this break without finding it difficult the next term....

*warning* DO NOT slack off in the easter break and the break b4 the trials!

shattermenow

i suggest that you DONT work ahead. because when the term starts and find that everyone else is behind you, then you might start to slack off...

definity do some summarising and completely learn all the yr 12 work they have taught you already. i think this xmas holidays is the bes time to study because while everyone is putting off work, once next year starts youll find that yr 12 flys by so quicklythat you wish you had more time. dont slack work, do work!!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I would advise you to get ahead, just a little bit. the idea of reading into your next chpater or module is good, but just do it briefly, and only half way through.

I am going to look into the assessment tasks l have to do next year, put the dates and reminders in my diary (every week before it is due for about 4 weeks), write up notes in my spare time and do revision chapters for maths.

For english, Toodulu has a very good idea and l might write an essay on the modules l have done. Also write up extra notes on my personal evaluation.

For AOS l will gather all my notes and summaries each (they were done by different people in the class because we had to do one each and then photocopied and given out) so l understand it more form different angles.

For biology l am going to read ahead into the next chapter, do extra questions from the last chapter and write summaries about what l know on a topic. I would look at a significant word, like "photosynthesis" and write down everything l know like the equation etc. without using the book. I double check to make sure what l have written is right.

For Hospitality l am going to look into the next chapter and organise my notes and type up notes.

In total l am going to organise my stuff, get my room cleaned (hey it IS work:)), clean my school bag, get a new diary and hope for all the best in the new school year.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Out of curiosity, does anyone have to go to school to work in the holidays? At my school, the Year 12 Extension English 1 is convening at least once, in order to do a read-through of The Real Inspector Hound. I've been recruited to do a reprisal of my Moon role. :p

Think they're also gathering at some point to watch The Big Sleep.. Anything like this happening elsewhere than Ambarvale?

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
If I were to repeat the VCE all over again - definitely would have read my set texts for English prior to the school yr commencing.

Cheers !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)