study periods (1 Viewer)

miss_pie

HSC
are u forced to hang around in a study area/hall/room or can you do as you please?

we have to sit in a big hall and study in silence.. which is good, i value it soo much. then if we want we can get a variation and go to the art block or music or the library or something.

i was just curious because my friend's school just bum around in the 'senior area' of the playground or can leave, i find this bizarre for supervision responsibility type reasons.

peace

J0n

N/A
HSC
We have to stay in our library unless our 'study period' is first or last - we can leave early and leave early.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
we go to the senior 'study' centre - ie. year 12 airconditioned fightclub/gambling/chillin' place... and study area before exams....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
we can do anything, mostly talk and bum around

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
or.... jig across the road to FOX STUDIOS!!!! haha, my study periods trump yous all!!!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by miss_pie

we have to sit in a big hall and study in silence..
Geez... :(
We were expected to go to the library and "study"...most people did make it to the library at least, but study was out of the question!

miss_pie

HSC
oh it's a good system really, by making it expected. i dunno u become so grateful that they exist at times and other times you just throw stuff at people and listen to a diskman.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
There is no such thing as a study period.

Even during class, people just walked out and came back twenty-minutes later with their lunches.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
we have a few options, we can either go to a mouse room, the library (which is totally ridiculus, coz we all get in there n talk) or the seniors area outside the hall.
or we can go home and 'study'
or (if you're like me) you can totally blow them off and go down the street (the teachers never knew, if they did they didnt care...they had a go at a few other people for doing it, but i guess coz im sorta like a teachers pet (not a sucky uppy one or anything, it just happenned coz im polite to them, so now they all love me) so i got a lot more freedom (not only for my study periods, but everything in general) than most other people)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
We have a study centre (third floor of our library complex) which we have to swipe our school cards in and out of in our study periods. If ur card wasn't swiped when it was meant to, u were in trouble. And although it was possible to get someone else to do it for you, the library staff usually came and did a head count mid-period so u were usually caught. Common room was for morning, morning break, tea and afternoons only.

Although I was welfare captain so my free periods were more often then not spent in the Welfare Captain's office doing mediation or organising peer support.

Rahul

Dead Member
we had a common room, but it got trashed and we were disallowed from it. disturbing instances involving urine and a cup....:s
we would either drive to maccas for that period [or others :p] or just bum around.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Initially, our 'study periods' involved sitting outside, conversing and whatnot in chairs.. However, this came to an end in February, with the introduction of three 'study rooms' (a radical concept.. ;) ). These fairly non-descript rooms (a couple of desks, and some chairs..Little else, at least, no new-fangled wonderments.) were to be the locale for 'study periods' from then until the end of Year 12.. Unsurprisingly, little study was done, but more importantly, I managed to read lots, and in the end, isn't that what really matters?

We also had the possibility of leaving early provided our 'study period' (a nice euphemism for 'free period', although that in itself is ironic.) coincided with the last period of the day. :p

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I remember in year 12, we all had to have scheduled interviews with the principal, to talk about our study and stuff. It was during class time, so as I was leaving, the principal asked if I needed a late note, but I said it was fine cos I had a study period. And she congratulated me, as being the first person who called it a "study period", and not a "free period". ;)

Wohzazz

HSC
I must have the worst study period
There basically nowhere you can go except for the library but it is the smallest most crowdest place ever- other younger years have research class there

So basicly the study period becomes a forced 'free period'. You can't concentrate with all the noise. I would really like to have a perference- most of the time study periods are valuable for tests and to save time so you can do more stuff and relax at home

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i do croatian outside of school so i have extra study periods
in year 11 we only had our library but there always seems to be a year 7 class in there yelling and screaming so you can hardly concentrate
sometimes i find an empty classroom and do homework.. or read or something
if ours are first or last then we can come late or leave early..
in year 12 theres the senior study which is like a room with desks and a kitchen and photos from all the past yr 12s.. its not like supervised or silent or anything but yeh
the study periods r boring at the moment cuz i dont really have much to do but they will come in handy when i have assessments to do (especially like 5 at once) to get some extra work done.. if i can find somewhere to concentrate
it would be cool going to that school where u swipe the card.. ud actually get work done lol

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
we installed quake 3 and unreal tournament on the school network and just played that during our frees/"study" periods

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)