What should i do (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Today we had presentation day, it went fine except for one lil problem. I worked my ass off all year and was sure i was going to get dux - everyone agreed, but upon looking at the program i realised that my fellow school captain / friend was the receiver..we were both really shocked and i couldnt hide my despair, i was completely shattered but i tried hard to put a smile on my face and i congralutated her.. not for a second saying it wasnt right. She was awarded first in maths 2u, society and culture, business studies, english 3u and diligence in legal. I was awarded first in maths 3u, legal studies, music and diligence in english adv and physics. but i also came first in chemistry and they did not record this- on my report i was first! and this would make me equal to / dux what should i do? should i bring this to their attention or just shuddup?? i worked so hard for this but i dont wanna take anything away from my friend. Also at ur school if u come first in maths 2 unit and in maths 3 unit are u entitled to recieve first in both .. because i got first in maths 3unit and first in maths 2 unit but my teacher says because i take both i am only entitled to recieve a first for the higher, 3 unit topic??

Last edited:

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
At our school the dux is the person with the highest ENTER score (or UAI for nsw), so i'm not entirely sure about this. But I think if it's bothering you then bring it up with the school, it's got to be better than leaving it and having regrets.
I really dont think it's fair that you got first in two maths, only to be recognised for one of them.. check the school rules on this kind of thing. Good luck anyway.

shoo

man, that sux, i mean i think that im almost definitly garaunteed dux so if that happened to me i would go ballistic. i think you cant really take the title away from her but i still think u should talk to ur principal about it. there was probably some sort of mix up

Huy

HSC
N/A
If it's only Year 11 - I would just let it go. Preliminary marks and rankings really don't mean anything, unless you really want it changed. I remember my rankings were off but the subject co-ordinator offered to reprint my report with the proper details for my own benefit, "to make me feel better" - but I chose not to. It doesn't really matter in the end, slipping one or two ranks if you know you should have been 1st or 2nd, (whatever).

If it was Year 12 and affects your UAI calculation, you would have more reason to complain about the wrong ranks. I would have a problem if I weren't the dux, if and only if I was supposed to have a better rank in a few subjects, etc. If it really does bother you and you want everyone to know, etc then go for it (this is your decision).

The other person is your friend too,

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it doesn't mean anything for next year, but the fact it that you do deserve that reward, and it means something to you. it is a hard thing to do, i would be the type of person to let it go, but i know everyone around me would tell me to do something about it. hmmm

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
damm i realli feel sorii for mazza_728...konwing that she deserves it more and then having it taken away..just hang in there and good things will come, if not now then certainly in the not to distant future..

Goood luck

Zahid

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
It doesn't mean all that much anyway, cos just saying this person came first in more subjects or whatever doesn't mean they necessarily did better...which is why deciding by the highest UAI is probably the most accurate way. Though I guess in year 11 looking at class ranks is the only way to go.
Not to say that your missing out is fair or that you don't deserve recognition for working hard, but just think, at the end of the day, will it really make a difference to your life? Although, if you really are bothered by it, it can't hurt to bring it up...if they fix it up, it will only bring you up to equal first with the other person, so I don't see why they would be too upset about it.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
I like the way you think Butterfly, see my post. :)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Does having a dux for each year put alot of pressure on you? I don't think I'd want that! Our school is tiny (less than 20 in yr11), so getting dux at my school would be nothing compared to city schools. And being dux won't get you into the course you want so don't put too much pressure on urself

Huy

HSC
N/A
There's pressure at every "city" school I believe, because the dux is always 99.8+ but with some years, you do see 97-98's. Our highest UAI at my college was 99.75 so that's fantastic in my opinion.

We only have about 20 or so, getting over 90 (out of about 160 kids in Year 12). :)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i would hint that to the teachers..... being dux is not easi..and dont mean to jinx u, u might not able to repeat the same result... hence i guess a title would be a nice way of capturing ur hard work...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I like the way you think Butterfly, see my post. :)
Well, I like the way YOU think, Huy!
I only skimmed through your post, sorry...it's the holidays, and my attention span is too short for such a difficult reading task. ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i would hint that to the teachers..... being dux is not easi..and dont mean to jinx u, u might not able to repeat the same result... hence i guess a title would be a nice way of capturing ur hard work...
that's my point, it will make a difference to you yourself, getting dux is hard work, and it doesn't happen often. i really don't know what you should do, as you can see we on this board are divided

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
By city schools, i mean more than 20 kids in the year.. actually im predicting it'll be 12 by yr 12. last year the dux was some art guy who got mid-80's...actually its not that bad for me except theres one other girl who wants dux as bad as i do, and we're taking the same subjects, and shes extremely competitive AND im so sorry for crapping on about something irrelavent to your post! keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
well look in the end.... all that matters is the 4 digits you seen on the 19th if december,,, and even that is quickly forgotten.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i dont think there is dux of year 12 in my school because when they announced my friend getting dux of year 11, they said dux of year 11 and dux of the school! imagine that title and that shouldve been me.. like im not trying to take it away from her because thats not wat i want but shit its really screwed :( in year 7-9 i was a dumbass and never went to school, was totally on the wrong side of the tracks, i changed schools totally changed myself and started working.. and ive been working for 2 years trying to get dux and this year i deserved it! i dunno wat ill do.. thankyou for ur advice guys!

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I don't mean to sound corny here, but the main thing is that you know how well you've done. You don't need to be year 11 dux to prove that you've worked hard.

is a roflcopter
HSC
exactly
you've already been acknowledged by your peers as 1337
thats enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)