Can i do Extension 2 and Extension 1 English? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
How does the procedure work?

I'm really good in English and for year 11, i've short listed these subjects to pick -

Maths 2 Unit - Maybe 3 Unit.

English Extension 2

English Extension 1 (if possible)

Economics

Legal Studies

Business Studies

Studies of Religion 1 unit (compulsory at my school)

Do you think these subjects will help me get a good UAI? I mean, are they scoring subjects? As in do they scale u up.

Thanks

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To do Extension 2 English you MUST do Extension 1 English.

The same with Maths - Extension 2 students must do Extension 1 Maths.

With History - Extension History requires students to do either Ancient or Modern.

Your list has you doing 13 or 14 units.

Lyly

HSC
Hi there, I'd just like to add that Extension 2 subjects are only available in year 12, that is, you only start Extension 2 in Term 4.
It's because the Extension 1 courses are already pretty demanding and you need a good grasp of the concepts before you even attempt Extension 2.
So like the above posters have said, you need Ext 1 to do Ext 2 in Year 12 and at least 10 units excluding Ext 2 in case you decide to drop Ext 2 (or you'll screw up your units, you need at least 10 units in Year 12).
It's also why you need to apply and be accepted into these courses in some schools if you're thinking of Extension 2.

Other than that, your subjects sound good, I wouldn't worry about the scaling process if I were you. It's better to do well in a lower scoring subject that you enjoy, than being miserable and utterly crap in a higher scaling subject.
Good luck :)

astroe

HSC
I do both 4u English and Ext. History, and well, in my opinion, they kinda co-relate in some respects.

For example, the concept I'm using for Ext 2 is the same one I'm dealing with 'throughout history' - for my major for Ext Hist.

So it's like.. double dipping, doing the same research and passing it off for two separate and different subjects. :)

Although, this dosn't work all the time.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
How does the procedure work?

I'm really good in English and for year 11, i've short listed these subjects to pick -

Maths 2 Unit - Maybe 3 Unit.

English Extension 2

English Extension 1 (if possible)

Economics

Legal Studies

Business Studies

Studies of Religion 1 unit (compulsory at my school)

Do you think these subjects will help me get a good UAI? I mean, are they scoring subjects? As in do they scale u up.

Thanks
I'm choosing economics and math 3 unit (hopefully)
Anyway, what I did to help me to see which subjects scale better was to get one of those UAI calculators and look at their HSC scaling. I think Legal Studies is the worst scaling subject in your subject selections but all your subjects look good.

samuelzhang

HSC
Hi,

I am currently in Year 10 and am currently choosing subjects. I have finalised my subjects to: Adv Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Business Studies, Adv English and Ext1 English. However, I still thinking about swapping Ext 1 English with Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation as my school only gives us two options with this particular line. I am average in my grade at English and my school as usually placed at #100 for the HSC.

c8

HSC
Hi,

I am currently in Year 10 and am currently choosing subjects. I have finalised my subjects to: Adv Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Business Studies, Adv English and Ext1 English. However, I still thinking about swapping Ext 1 English with Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation as my school only gives us two options with this particular line. I am average in my grade at English and my school as usually placed at #100 for the HSC.
i would chose whichever subject you like better, however isn't SLR a non-atar subject? i'm not too sure how that stuff works but its definitely something you should think about when choosing between the two. the subjects you chose are pretty content heavy so if you want some balance i would go for SLR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)