Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

MilfordSound

English is compulsary, meaning you have to be able to analyse king lear, yet basic addition in maths is not required for life

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
They expect you to know how to add from the SC. :p

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by MilfordSound
English is compulsary, meaning you have to be able to analyse king lear, yet basic addition in maths is not required for life
And in the long run, isn't being able to understand the use of a parallel plot-structure within King Lear more important to most lives than obscure mathematical principles? ;)

In all seriousness however, it's not the texts so much as the lessons learnt in the process.. Being able to analyse and comprehend what is going on around you is a vital skill, and some units such as 'Telling The Truth' are important in training educated citizens.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
i think they should make more levels of maths and everyone should have to do maths too

AND in the UAI calculation, it should have to be the 2 unit part (ie the advanced or standard) which MUST count in the UAI calculation

thats my big beef, because 3 and 4 unit are independant of the common course

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Courtenay
i thats my big beef, because 3 and 4 unit are independant of the common course
but supposedly if you can do 3u which is a higher level than 2u then you are good at english anyway.
i hate the fact eng is compulsory, yet it is not the basics, it's bs stuff you will never use.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
yes, but i think english HAS to count because it is the subject everyone does, but if that is why it is the only subject which has to count for UAI, should it not then be the COMPULSORY 2 units which should count, in all fairness

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Courtenay
yes, but i think english HAS to count because it is the subject everyone does, but if that is why it is the only subject which has to count for UAI, should it not then be the COMPULSORY 2 units which should count, in all fairness
It's presumably designed as an incentive for those students who can do the 3/4U courses..Of course, the incentive for 3/4U Mathematics is greater.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
I agree! if i could drop english i would -- i really dont respond to it, i have such a maths brain! i support the fact that up to yr 11 both subjects are compulsory but once you enter year 11 i think students should be able to pick all their subjects, the subjects that are going to assist them personally for wat they wanna do in the future. im sure if maths was made compulsory in year 11-12 people would be complaining that they dont need to know integration to be successfull in their lives .. and thats fair enough! but people who relate better to maths may agree that they dont need to be able to compare emma to clueless to be successful in their personal endeavours! i think having learnt more than the basics up to year 11 is enough! People are different .... they want different things from life and i think the BOS should appreciate this by making all subjects optional!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
because 3 and 4 unit are independant of the common course
i agree with this completely! but this year i was only awarded for my first in 3 unit and not in 2 unit maths and that is because i had taken up the extension! i thought this was so unfair! wat is the point of studying soo much for it if im not going to be appreciated for it! i didnt even get a dilligence! on my report it said no placing! should i just give up on 2 unit and focus more on 3 unit? i took this up wid my school network and they said it complied with the BOS! but see this is different in english.. if you get first in 3 unit english and 2 unit english you are awarded for both! HOW UNFAIR IS THIS! i was soo upset and this cost me dux.. ill explain wat happend-- i should of got dux i came first in 5 subjects and second in 2 but! i wasnt awarded for my first in chemistry because of a HUGE mistake! and my 1st in 2 unit maths was given to another person (because i have the extension!!) and therefore i was only recognised for 3 firsts! and dux was awarded to another person (the person who got recognised for MY first in 2 unit maths) - the whole problem with not being recognised for my 1st in chem was fixed so i was allowed to "Share" dux with this other person! i orginally had 5 firsts -- she had 3 but one was taken off me (maths 2unit) and given to her! does anyone else see a problem??? i thought this was soo unfair but im happy that we are sharing dux .. i was soo annoyed when i wasnt recognised at all because i deserved that award.. she is one of my friends and it was a very akward situation but everyhting is good now! but i thought not being recognised for my 1st in 2 unit was really unfair!

MilfordSound

Re: Re: Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that..

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
And in the long run, isn't being able to understand the use of a parallel plot-structure within King Lear more important to most lives than obscure mathematical principles? ;)
I did advanced english and that sentence baffled me

I also find it funny how you need english to do engineering, but not engineering studies

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

I also find it funny how you need english to do engineering, but not engineering studies
Engineering Studies isnt a widely offered subject. At my school Im part of the first year to run it (yay new textbooks (yay 5 textbooks for prelim year)) and we barely had enough to run it at the start and then some dropped out but they had to keep it running. Next year it isnt running but I know of 2 doing it via correspondance. Its a pity, its actually a pretty good subject.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A

yes, that IS rather ironic

i think the thing is that the skills acquired and learnt in english are more widely needed than skills learnt in maths

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
To survive in the world, you do not need year 11 or 12 maths. Unless you have a job centred around maths, you won't be using it ever again.
I think many of us would benefit from studying English after year 10...but the syllabus is pretty fucked. I don't think I learned anything worthwhile.

Last edited:

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
its the way of thinking developed by maths and science which many people are looking for to get inot uni, not always the knowledge as such

MilfordSound

exactly my point
i want to start a rebellion against this nonsense, the HSC is obviously biased towards people who are good at english
Who's with me

lbft

Geek
HSC
You use concepts you learnt in year 12 English in your daily life. Stage 6 English is all about refining your skills

You use concepts you learnt in year 9/10 Maths in your daily life. Stage 6 Maths is all about learning new skills.

You use concepts you learnt in year 10 science in your daily life. Stage 6 Science courses are all about learning new knowledge.

That's why you have to do maths and science for the SC, but not for the HSC.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Maths -was- compulsory.

They removed that for some reason.

The english course should certainly be changed. Life isn't about writing stolen essays in such a short amount of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)