Can the school's rank-keeping skills be trusted? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Has anyone every had cases where the school rips you off hard and gives you the wrong rank due to incompetent record keeping? (to your disadvantage of course) Right now thats amongst my greatest fears.

Well on a semi-relevant note, my suspicions arise because I'm pretty sure I topped math for my prelim by miles (No. I am sure.) but apparently not. Ironic. I ended up apparently topping English Ext1 which im also quite sure I didnt. :rolleyes: Unless they decide who tops a course on the basis of effort or attitude to the course or something inane like that, then they've screwed up the ranks. Its not that I want to look good in front of ppl or anything lame like that (heh i admit its a good feeling though :p), but honestly, if there is a screw up and it happens in the real thing then... I dunno wot ill do. :( Seeing as how the internal assessment is purely based on rank, if they add a few digits to mine I swear ill start chopping ppl >.<

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
hmmm
perhaps there are other factors that you havent taken into consideration. are you completely sure u owned maths? lol, perhaps your homework record was dodgy or something.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It would be best to consult with your classmates after they have added up all their assessment weightings and see whether they really beat you, or vice versa.

Usually, the errors that occur are due to inputting the marks wrongly.

Hence why they don't show you your raw assessment marks at the end can cause quite a few problems.

Winston

HSC
I asked my whole yr who ever did the subject to see if anyone beat me in an assessment then i know if i did good, but normally in computer subject assignments i always got 100% so i didn't need to ask.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i haven't had any problems

after each assessment keep a track of your rank, mark, how much it is worth and the marks and ranks of anyone else you find out. it may be worth typing out a sheet now while you have the time which you fill in as you do the assessments.

i did this during year 12 incase anything went wrong, and i had semi-ideas of my ranks so when they came to the students online site i knew they were right.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Yeh thats what pisses me off as well, how my school wont let us see the ranks. Maybe they just have some sort of dice rolling at the end of the year cos they, like every other year, forgot to keep track of the ranks.

It would be best to consult with your classmates after they have added up all their assessment weightings and see whether they really beat you, or vice versa.
perhaps there are other factors that you havent taken into consideration.
No, really I am sure.
But I figured this may happen so screw it; putting the possibility that I was beaten aside, then what if theyve screwed up this time, and will screw up again? Will there be time for complaining at the end of year 12?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I don't trust what had appeared in my report. Apparently, my ranks for my Ext 1 and Ext 2 english got switched. I didn't ask about it until later so I was really upset for a long time.

Luckily they were correct on the record that they've shown us.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
you can check ur final ranks on studentsonline after the last hsc exam, and if you think they're not rite, then u can contact ur school and discuss it, so u do get to find them out

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Or you can go to your school after the last HSC exam and check your ranks there.

Giant Lobster

HSC
hmmm so theres a safety net after all... thanks

you can check ur final ranks on studentsonline after the last hsc exam, and if you think they're not rite, then u can contact ur school and discuss it, so u do get to find them out
if I am right, will my uai be corrected? id hate to miss out by a fraction on my dream course cos of fake ranks :(

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I might be a bit slow, but couldn't you check your rank in November? And if it wasn't right you go to your principal?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, depending when last exam is (this year was the 14th of nov? can't even rmb anymore). but i think they give u bout a week to detect any errors and talk to ur school about it

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
My ranks were always wrong at school...
Especially my physics ranks!
So my advice... keep close scrutiny on them if u can manage it.
At least then u know you're not gunna be jipped.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
My ranks were always wrong at school...
Especially my physics ranks!
So my advice... keep close scrutiny on them if u can manage it.
At least then u know you're not gunna be jipped.
Yeah the problem is that some people resent giving out their marks and for the larger subjects such as English Advanced rank keeping becomes a problem due to the vast number of participants.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
OK i have a prime example of how crap schools are! dont ever trust them!
they totally messed up and presentation day was shit this year.. especially for me!
I achieved first in chemistry and it was given to someone else! because one of the teachers sent in the wrong marks.
Also this year i was achieved first in maths 2 unit and maths 3 unit but was only awarded for my first in 3 unit and not in 2 unit maths and that is because i had taken up the extension! i thought this was so unfair! wat is the point of studying soo much for it if im not going to be recognised for it! i didnt even get a dilligence! on my report it said no placing! should i just give up on 2 unit and focus more on 3 unit? i took this up wid my school network and they said it complied with the BOS! but see this is different in english.. if you get first in 3 unit english and 2 unit english you are awarded for both! HOW UNFAIR IS THIS! i was soo upset and this cost me dux.. ill explain wat happend-- i should of got dux i came first in 5 subjects and second in 2 but! i wasnt awarded for my first in chemistry because of a HUGE mistake! and my 1st in 2 unit maths was given to another person (because i have the extension!!) and therefore i was only recognised for 3 firsts! and dux was awarded to another person (the person who got recognised for MY first in 2 unit maths) - the whole problem with not being recognised for my 1st in chem was fixed so i was allowed to "Share" dux with this other person! i orginally had 5 firsts -- she had 3 but one was taken off me (maths 2unit) and given to her! does anyone else see a problem??? i thought this was soo unfair but im happy that we are sharing dux .. i was soo annoyed when i wasnt recognised at all because i deserved that award.. she is one of my friends and it was a very akward situation but everyhting is good now! but i thought not being recognised for my 1st in 2 unit was really unfair!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
should i just give up on 2 unit and focus more on 3 unit?
Hell no! Remember 2u maths is after all worth 2 units! and 3u (ext 1) maths is only worth one unit. ie, in the end, of the 150 marks in maths, 100 will be fron 2u and 50 from 3u. You have to make sure you get a good mark in 2u before you go and get 50/50 for 3u.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
wow mazza...sorry but that sounded like a huge bitch session, although i would prbly feel totally the same way if that happened to me...but, u just gotta realise that in a few years time, all this won't matter at all, and u'll prbly be bitching about uni prizes then! :D:p

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
mazza, that's kind of unfair because i got both 2U and ext for maths. It used to be that if you do 3U, you can only get 3U, until about last year. the same goes for english.

giant lobster, i think you should just ask them. just say you'd like to check your final prelimary mark. make sure you know how much each assessment is worth, calculate your final mark and if their figure doesn't match yours, then there's obviously a problem in the mark recording. if you're totally sure you topped the subject, then that's probably it.

Giant Lobster

HSC
nah screw it i dont wanna make a fuss about somethin that doesnt count. As i said before Im only concerned at the possibility that this event will affect my hsc. If so then ill start making fuss :p

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
next year (yr 12), you should ask that they publish a rankings sheet after each assessment (just mark and ranking, no name) so you can keep track of your position in grade, otherwise they can give you any mark and you won't even know. just let them know you're keeping an eye on them because you can not afford this kind of stuff to happen next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)