subject scaling and ranks (1 Viewer)

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I have no idea where this thread belongs...

but basically, my friend will be in year 11 next year at Northmead High (I don't think it's ranked in the top 120, but I may be mistaken). She is still undecided about whether she should choose general maths or 2u. She says that it is really easy for her to obtain a rank of 1, 2 or 3 at her school, but her marks for general would be much higher. Her yearly mark was 60% for advanced maths, and she was ranked 8th.

Which should she do?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
mmm i know alot of people at northmead high and im pretty sure either course she does.. if she wants to excel she is going to have to do alot of work herself out of school
i recommend to do 2u mathematics, because you can always drop down to general maths after the first couple of months, but you cant change from general to mathematics
it will be a long time before northmead will be in the top 120..
no offence.. but its only a good school for creative arts.. they do really well in the rock estedford but not really in much else

Last edited:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
my friend dropped to general in about may this year.. and now shes topping it.. heaps of people dropped at my school down to general (might i add they were all from one class.. the teacher is really really bad and it was hard to cope)
at all schools you should be able to change subjects in the first 6 weeks they cant force you to keep your subjects

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
oh ok, thanks :)

my school doesnt offer general so I had no idea. I just assumed because they were completely different courses, that you couldn't drop one and pick the other up. Thanks for clearing that up :D

Winston

HSC
i think you should be aware when you drop from 2 u maths to general maths, some of the terms are totally new in general maths. I must say if i went to general maths i would of failed in it, i like mathematics more it's more logical.

HSC
errrrr... :S i saw general maths and i did 3u maths trust me its totally different...
i think u should stick to 2u becoz the scaling is way better too

uhhh if i had to choose again i'd rather do economics than business studies

and did eng adv than eng stan

but basically choose the subjects that u think u'll do ur best at;)

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
yeah, I told her that, but I think she thinks that 2u will take up too much of her time, but as you guys have already said, I told her its worth the effort because of the scaling difference between 2u and general.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i know the courses are different
but general maths is basically year 9/10 advanced maths work just expanded so its easy to do well if u drop from 2u maths because you know most of it anyway

HSC
:eek: yes i no wot u said :rolleyes: :p
"peace"

if got troubles talk to ur maths teacher altho i hated my one:chainsaw:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I am doing general maths this year (year 11) and l got a rank of 1 and a percentage of 70-something.

How badly does this affect me?

HSC
ummm... if ur ranked 1 dats quite well
but if u got 70 something in ur hsc exam it b pretty bad
have u tested marks on the uai estimator???
u'll c wot i mean :S

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i think she should stick with 2 unit, she may have to devote more time to maths study whys but i think it will be definately beneficial! but its up to her and wat she can handle!

HSC
:S ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm u if u finish yr 11 already... it b quite hard to catch up to 2u maths coz.. it is a alot of hardwork involved esp coping with the sudden change....
BUT however if u want to do really well in ur uai i still think u can catch up if u put the hard yards in these holidays ;)
oh by the way a great private tutor would b beneficial:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)