Advice (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
I've got a friend who migrated from China about 5 months ago, and so his english is pretty poor. He will be doing 4u maths, ESL, 3U chinese, but that leaves him with 1 more unit. He is good at physics and chemistry, but i figure that with this new syllabus he won't get good marks due to all the english (i mean, i can't imagine him answering something like "evaluate the potential of ethanol as an alternate fuel source"). Does anyone have any idea of what he could do without being disadvantaged?

Thanks for any help.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
he will prob ace everyhting but ESL english... so getting a band 5 in either chem or phsy is just a lil bump... technicalli speaking.. if he is heapz good at maths or heapz shit at english.. then yeha prob physics over chemistry... cuz physics does overlap with 4u Maths and 3u Maths (mainly calculus, projectile motion etc)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
sif not pick both :p

i mean ESL i can tell you, in the last 3 years, has scaled better than standard... if your friend can ace ESL or just do reasonable in it, i'm sur ehe'll get pretty high (assumiing her gets band 6 in every other sub --> mehh :(, smart fobs)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well Physics is probably the most maths related so that would probably be best, as long as (s)he understands the verb lists and memorises it, it shouldn't be a problem, of course there is always Engineering Studies ;).

Lainee

HSC
Well, from what I gather he's not leaning towards either music or another language so there really aren't that many subjects that someone with passable english skills can do. Maybe Software Design and Development if he has any knowledge in that direction, but again I don't really know much specifically about the level of english required in it.
If he's good at physics/chem then I'ld go with the other people who have posted and say that it'll be in his best interest to choose one or both.
It's pretty challenging to find any course at all that doesn't involve at least a moderate ability in english to do well in. I guess that's the very thing they were aiming for when they developed the new syllabuses.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think he should try physics

and i guessing he will rip the shit outta 4u and 3u chinese
so a mid band 6 in physics and a 85 in ESL would probably mean 99

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
i think he should try physics

and i guessing he will rip the shit outta 4u and 3u chinese
so a mid band 6 in physics and a 85 in ESL would probably mean 99
exactli my thoughts.. i knwo so mani fobs who are lyk that... *looks at sb* .. ;) :p

fourp1ay

HSC
I think he should try Big Circle his asian brothers welcome him or if he's no good in ther Sing Wor or 14k may still be a possibility

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol

physics has more maths, but chem has pretty much standard notations... either one he has to memorise shitloads of english passages.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
exactli my thoughts.. i knwo so mani fobs who are lyk that... *looks at sb* .. ;) :p

:mad: !

hahah i guess you're right
:p

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
he can do 3u chinese?
wouldn't he be doing background though

ND

HSC
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeh i think i'll recommend that he do physics, i think it's slightly more concept based than chemistry.

Originally posted by Toodulu
he can do 3u chinese?
wouldn't he be doing background though
Yeh but background scales like crap, and it's only two units. I'm gonna get my principal to rort it. I just hope they don't get suspicious when he kills the oral.

TheKey

HSC
i dont know if physics is a great idea, like this last hsc exam there were alot of 3-6 mark and even 8 marks if i remember right questions, for which you had to write a whole passage on albert einstein and that reactor thing in Q2Q...

i never did chem so i dont know about that, SDD wouldnt be too bad, as they actually want you to limit the crap and use sdd terminology which cant be that hard to memorise...

i never did drama or visual arts but maybe that could be good, or music if he is into that..

ND

HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
i dont know if physics is a great idea, like this last hsc exam there were alot of 3-6 mark and even 8 marks if i remember right questions, for which you had to write a whole passage on albert einstein and that reactor thing in Q2Q...
Yeh i know, i mean even i misread the last question in med phys...

i never did chem so i dont know about that, SDD wouldnt be too bad, as they actually want you to limit the crap and use sdd terminology which cant be that hard to memorise...

i never did drama or visual arts but maybe that could be good, or music if he is into that..
I don't think he's into any of those... Hmmm... He's really into politics, can anyone think of anything that would go well with that?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I really don't think there is any subjects that really concern with politics, maybe a little in Legal Studies and Economics (since its more the theory side) but that would contain a lot of english.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i think it would help him to do fundamentals of english ( 1u) if ur school offers it it teachers u basic anglish thing like how to write short stories, essys things like that. I dont know if u can take it on conjuction with ESL i know u cant do advanced eng and fundamentals u have to be a standard person, as far as the scicences r i dunno u should prob talk to teachers and see what it involves he will prob be at a disadvantage in everything, until he learns english properly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)