Can I take up Religion in yr12? (1 Viewer)

OzE Hindu

I'm interested in taking up Studies of Religion in year12 (HSC Course), but I need info as to how I can do so because I didn't do the subject in year11. And I need to have completed the Preliminary Course in order to be able to do the HSC Course. The problem is, this subject is not offered at my school and I didn't even know it existed until a few months back. Also, I'm interested in possibly taking up Society and Culture or some other sort of subject that focuses on teaching a "philosophical" outlook.

Rahul

Dead Member
it might be hard since you might have missed out on assessments in term4 of last yr.
if it is offered at your school, then maybe you have a good chance.
but even then, you might be at a loss if they have done an assessment already.

as for doing sor outside school...i am not sure how you would go about it.

= Jennifer =

HSC
i think it might be too late to take up subjects it would be very hard to grasp the concepts...dont you think it is a bit risky?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
no i tried with long debates with the religion co ordinator on our school intranet lol
if you do pick up a subject in yr 12 which u didnt do in yr 11 your principal has to sign that u have completed the course- and the religion guy said it would require me doing all the assessments and having private lessons with him before or after school and during the holidays to catch up on a years worth of work so the principal can say u have completed the course
by the way i did 1u studies of religion and most of the assessments were the same as 2u they just had a couple of extra essay things.. so if its that hard to transfer to a course that ive already half done it must be impossible to go into something u never did before
also because they dont offer it at ur school you will have to do it at another school.. and most schools dont offer the mainstream subjects to people out of school (ie some schools might offer construction.. a course that not many schools do but they do it every wednesday from 12 and offer it to people from other schools)
you left it a bit late... you wouldnt want to do the prelim course for 2 subjects and the hsc course.. as well as all ur other subjects.. u might as well wait till after school at uni to pick up philisophical things if you are that interested

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
taking up 2 new subjects would be too much.

i don't know if you can do it anyway

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
why would you want to do that? is there a reason for this? i mean it is possible, your principal would have to isgn you off but somehow manipulate it for you. this is similar to this guy in the grade above. he did standard english in year 11 but somehow he was manipulated to do advanced in year 12. it depends on your school whether theyre willing to go out of their way for you

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by OzE Hindu
Also, I'm interested in possibly taking up Society and Culture or some other sort of subject that focuses on teaching a "philosophical" outlook.
mate you should take philosophy... too late now though. i want to take up modern history but don't know if can.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
why would you want to do that? is there a reason for this? i mean it is possible, your principal would have to isgn you off but somehow manipulate it for you. this is similar to this guy in the grade above. he did standard english in year 11 but somehow he was manipulated to do advanced in year 12. it depends on your school whether theyre willing to go out of their way for you

nahh...its possible to do that.....the top 3 standard kids in prelim got to do advancedin hsc coz they were deemed to be capable of it...and also english dosnt need a "prelim course"

OzE Hindu

Unfortunately the second half of my post didn't come through. But basically the idea behind taking up Religion is so I can drop ext.2 English, since I'm finding the compositional process pretty painstaking and I'm having enough trouble with Maths as it is. I want to keep 12 units so that I'll have a "safety net" for my maths units and hopefully they won't count since I don't think I'll do too well in them.

OzE Hindu

Originally posted by kimmeh
My school is sort of helpful in a few ways, but the Principal and his henchmen were oppositional when I asked for assistance regarding some other matters. Yeah, so that might be a problem. I'm sure I'm going to be met with a lot of suspicion when I tell the school peeps about this idea.

I'll give it a shot anyway probably.:argue:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
thats why i wanted to take up religion because i dropped geography and exploring.. but they r like then u should have picked it up in the first place

OzE Hindu

Originally posted by cro_angel
thats why i wanted to take up religion because i dropped geography and exploring.. but they r like then u should have picked it up in the first place
So what happened ultimately? What sort of suss questions can I expect from the F***k'n school?:chainsaw:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
at our school (yes... Mcauley!!) we were allowed to pick up 2u religion from 1u religion before the end of year 11.. the ppl who picked up had to do about one or two extra assessments by the time they got into yr 12 term 4. about 12 ppl picked up 2u from 1u

oh and we are allowed to drop at any time i think
the same thing happened at my school
we were given the opportunity to pick up SOR2 at the end of yr11.....
all we had to do was a couple of exercises from a text book which covered the perlim course over the christmas holidays
the school told the board of studies that we have covered the perlim course and added SOR2 to our subjects

in a year of around 120 SOR1 students, 26 took up SOR2 but by the end of the year a couple had dropped it

i must say it was the best thing i ever did for my HSC....picking up SOR2, which was my only reason for such a good uai because i did extremely well in it! had a good teacher!

but it might be difficult for you OzE Hindu since you don't have any religion teachers at your school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)