What do I doooooooo..... (1 Viewer)

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Okkkkayyyyyys I'm Yr 12 2004 & I currently have 12 units, and I'm thinking about dropping general maths bcoz it's has the lowest scaling of all my subjects and its my weakest subject coz I don't listen or concentrate in class coz its too easy...if that makes sense.......should I drop it or not, I get better marks in all my other subjects (4U English, Bio, Business St, French) and try a lot harder at them.....I need an unibias opinion!!!!! Pleeeaasseeeee....I was thinking of keeping it for half a term or so but maybe that's a waste of time I could be using 4 other subjects.....what do U think....?

HSC
ummm risky... i no its less scaled but however it might b included
wot r ur marks for ur otha subjectx

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I noticed that this was also posted in "UAI/HSC Marks - Guidance & Counsel". One post in either of the forums is enough.

lil princess

HSC
Ok, my thoughts on your problem;

You say that General Mathematics is your poorest subject as you don't listen because it is too easy - perhaps the best solution to this problem is to listen a little more to imporve your marks! If it is easy, then from my point of view you should kept it as you can get easy marks from it.

But, if you don't enjoy it and are really just wasting time sitting there in the class then i suggest that it would be better perhaps to drop it. From what you say you already have a fairly heavy workload with 4 Unit English and your other subjects, and this time could be spent on your other subject raising those marks as you say.

I agree with mazza though, you need to take into consideration what you want to do after school and if Uni is the way then what sort of UAI you need. 10 units is the minimum for a UAI, so this can be a risky business since every one of your marks would count...whereas with 12 units you can relax a little bit.

Now don't quote me...but one of the girls from our school who is doing 3 Unit English repeated something about how she wasn't going to pick up 4 Unit because no matter what your marks in the subject, only two units worth would count towards UAI. I don't know how reliable that info is, but i would talk to your teacher.

I will stress however, that no matter what any one of us says here, the decision is up to you and it is your future! Talk to your teachers/year advisor/careers advisor/mentor...someone that knows you, cause they will be able to give you a far better idea of how they think you'd cope & whether it is the best option for you.

Good luck with it. I know how hard is it to decide cause i'm trying to decide whether or not to drop back to 4 unit mathematics at the moment.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
dont drop a unit

You'll feel the pressure like an elephant doing a shit on your face

i think about it all the time (not the elephant...) :( , kinda regret dropping the subject but oh well

guy

HSC
i dropped from 13 units to 10 and loved the extra periods
but i did art and music so i needed the free time to do that stuff

but yeah, if you drop it just remember to work hard in the study periods and not talk

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
but its human nature to talk... i say u should keep it and just ry and focus more on it.. but then again, even if u focus everything you have to it.. it will still be scaled down -- its a very complicating situation. what do u wanna do when u leave school? But i suppose general maths isnt gonna help you with anything -- is general maths a pre requisite?? dont think so ... maybe u can drop it. talk to ur careers advisor/year advisor when u get back to school.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
thing with general maths is that it's not a pre-req or assumed knowledge thing in uni. mathematics is at least what you need.

assuming that you're not going to do anything mathematically related in uni, you aren't going to lose anything by dropping it.

your marks in everything else seem really good. so if you work hard in them for the rest of the year like you have so far, you should be fine. obviously you'll lose the security blanket of having another 2 units.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by lil princess
Ok, my thoughts on your problem;

Now don't quote me...but one of the girls from our school who is doing 3 Unit English repeated something about how she wasn't going to pick up 4 Unit because no matter what your marks in the subject, only two units worth would count towards UAI. I don't know how reliable that info is, but i would talk to your teacher.
I thought your best 2units of English must count and then the other units of English you do, wheter that is Extenion I or II, can count depending on how well you go in comparrison to your other marks.

Otherwise people who do 4units of English and only do 11 units, like i do, will not make the requirement for a UAI since only 9units would be counting.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MissSavage29
I thought your best 2units of English must count and then the other units of English you do, wheter that is Extenion I or II, can count depending on how well you go in comparrison to your other marks.
Actually its the best two units of English which may be Ext 1 or Ext 2.

In other words if you do Ext 1 and Ext 2 and fail the Eng Adv test, Eng Adv might not count

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
drop the little bastard. Gen Maths is boring as all hell and drags your uai to buggery. Get rid of it and concentrate on your other subbies. I did that and never looked back.

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Mmm well I am planning on doing Arts and Journalism at uni, so I don't really need maths, and I do work in my free periods, what I think I'll do it keep it for half the term + work hard at it, if nothing improves, then I'll drop it.

Does anyone know for sure about English tho, whether only 2 units would count? Can't the whole 4 units have to count if you're only doing 10 units all together?

P.S Hi Jessica!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
for ur HSC 10 units of the subjects u do counts, and english has to count...ofcourse if you only do 10 units (4 of them being english) then all 4 units will count....so i believe

if you hate maths no point doign general, i know heaps of people who hate maths soooo much but insist on doing general, but in my opinion theres no point, however you'll be left with 10 units: which is fine if u spend this extra time on ur subjects and become reallys trong in them. having 10 units has its advantages when u're motivated and disciplined

i dont know if you shoudl keep hanging on to the subject..otherwise you will neevr make a decision, thats like me when i had to choose whther to drop legal studies or society and culture....i sat around for months tryign to decide but my minddidnt really change, i just dropped society (i was sitll unsure) but now that ive dropped it and theres nothign i can do i spend my tiem well on legal, and i am really happy with the decision i made...anyway if time if what u need then drop maths, no point in keepign it around, BUT if u find it easy, work on it! and do well its a good back up

in the end its up to you....

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
I noticed that this was also posted in "UAI/HSC Marks - Guidance & Counsel". One post in either of the forums is enough.
and in the general maths forum.

Aussiechick

HSC
Originally posted by MissSavage29

Otherwise people who do 4units of English and only do 11 units, like i do, will not make the requirement for a UAI since only 9units would be counting.
that's what I was thinking too. I do 11 units, 4 of those are English. they wouldn't have let me drop maths if I wasn't going to meet the requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)